Buying second hand

As one of the biggest Naim dealers I understand why they’d be motivated to not take photos of every piece of used kit they advertise, when (absent damage they need to disclose) . . . . THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME.

4 Likes

@Fatcat makes a very valid point – no ifs, or buts. It is good if not expected practice to display actual pictures of the item one wishes to sell. If they aren’t the actual images, one should advise accordingly.

From personal experience, I do know that Acoustica specifically can be too “enthusiatic” about item description in ebay. Admittedly, a term like “excellent”, for instance, is subjective to a certain extent. Also, “flaws” could slip through, fair enough. But certain imperfections just shouldn’t slip through, and certain conditions just cannot be described as excellent…

1 Like

My ND555 is from Acoustica. Excellent service and immaculate machine. I’d happily recommend them.

G

1 Like

Can the moderators please delete this thread?
How am I supposed to get a deal if everyone knows about it?
:disappointed:

2 Likes

All my hi-fi is either second hand or ex demo. The Supernait 3 is ex demo, the NDX-2 second hand via my dealer here, and the Naim DAT and CD player second hand via eBay.

Because I live in Jersey, it’s impracticable for me to travel to the UK to collect or get a demo, which is a bit of a pain.

With eBay, if an item is said to have been serviced, assume that that doesn’t amount much, unless there is clear evidence what’s been done or you are buying from an authorised dealer (ideally both).

I try to buy on eBay for a price that gives me leeway for servicing costs so that combined purchase and service costs are less than what a genuinely mint, full-working unit sells for.

Ang on a wee min there - I thought we were waiting on a Naim cassette deck and now we find out you got a Naim DAT machine - Naim u got some explaining to do!

:rage: :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

I think dealers who contact buyers after an auction to say actually we have a brand new one that is just excess stock and we could let you have that for just £x extra instead is slightly concerning. Not a hard push sale but still perhaps not best practice and wonder how many times that technique gets used.

1 Like

I’m done with second hand…tried to buy a used Oppo 205 …

I only buy secondhand CDS from a record shop. Because i can check the condition in the shop. Also
They are guaranteed.

When i go to a record shop i go alone. I do not expect my good wife to wait for a couple of hours
While i browse at the new stock. We then meet up for coffee.

1 Like

I have been to hi fi dealers. And they bring me coffee and cakes. It is embarrassing when you
Do not buy anything. I have to tell them iam coming back with my mother.

I’ve only used them once after winning an auction on eBay for exdem item. Got a call apologising in delay in posting (only three days) and offered me a brand new item for a small extra sum if I liked. The deal was done and I got a new item at substantial discount . Would deffo use them again

2 Likes

I think a few may have received similar offers and combined with reuse of photos I wonder what you receive if you stick to the original auction price. Nothing technically wrong with it just feels perhaps not best practice. Perhaps they’re not able to auction the new units.

He was quite clear I could have had what I won and told me upfront bits condition which aligned with the photos. I would add that they appear not to be on the manufacturers list as a retailer so assume he was shifting stock. Either way I am chuffed with the deal.

Interesting.

I wonder how Acoustica’s customers who pay full whack for the black boxes feel about this practice. :crying_cat_face:

And.

I wonder how Naim feel about their NEW black boxes being sold on ebay at discounted prices. :scream_cat:

1 Like

I don’t think it would have been Naim kit here. Indeed, I’m told it was speakers from a different brand.

2 Likes

You can buy Naim gear from Naim dealers at a discount if you negotiate. That is not new.

1 Like

To confirm, it was not naim kit, and they are not listed on the manufacturers web site as a retailer so assume stock was being shifted.

3 Likes

Hi Simon,

My bad: I meant Naim DAC, not DAT!

I kinda guessed that - I do know a couple of people who swear by DAT recorders but they both work on the pro side of things, now I must go off and find my DCC deck - heard a rumour on Friday they might be making a comeback
:shushing_face: