Cable burn in

I was buying the cable anyway, and the burn-in was free. Hopefully it won’t actually make the cable sound worse by sending all those electrons into hyperspace, so I figure there’s nothing to lose.

2 Likes

Hmm, each set of cables would cost me £420!
So, say 3 sets ‘raw’ & 3 sets ‘burned in’ = £2,520.

Easy… well OK, yes, it wouldn’t be hard, I have a credit card.
Viable on a cost basis… nah!

Haven’t all the electrons now fallen out of one end of the cable? Surely once there are none left there will be no sound from the cable at all! :smiley:

2 Likes

To answer the question posed by this thread using organoleptic testing (i.e. auditioning cables), the acid test is:

Can it be shown in a significant number of test instances, that a difference can be observed between a ‘raw’ cable and a ‘burned in’ cable when all other possible interfering factors are eliminated or taken into account.

Some of the controls necessary (this is just a quick list, there may be others):
All cables must be from the same production batch.
All connectors must be form the same production batch.
The tests must be conducted over a number of days.
More than one person must be included in the test.
There must be no significant time interval between the audition of the differing cables within one test cycle.
The tests must be conducted ‘double blind’.

If these conditions cannot be met, the resultant organoleptic testing is not valid due to flawed experimental methods or protocols.

Testing by instrumentation has a slightly different set of controls, but the underlying principles are the same.

1 Like

Only the unfriendly ones that won’t talk to the protons.

I’ve listened very carefully to my cables, and (fortunately) none of them are making any sound that I can detect!
:smiley:

2 Likes

None of the electrons made it out alive. They were all burnt.

Very Marvinesque!

Take them to a nuclear free zone; I’m sure some of the loose electrons there would love to have the pleasant accompanyment of some friendly protons.

1 Like

Not even a slight creaking in the wind??

Hummph…

I DON’T HAVE WIND!
:angry:
:joy:

2 Likes

You can always blame another family member if you don’t live alone. Or the dog…

1 Like

1 Like

C14

(And some unnecessary extra words to satisfy the forum software so that it’ll let me post the answer!)

3 Likes

I have stuff coming at me from all angles i can not keep track of who writes what when,
when all input is mostly Anti - some time there is civilian causualties in the cross fire.
Dont take offence that i grouped you it were not ment personable.

Now the change relating to "cable burn in"is infinitesimal and you are never going to have a methology that does not induce greater error than what you are looking for, that is why you are never going to find it. Even if you had the required detection capability which you dont.

The debate is 7 versus 1 the odds dont bother me - but you try it.
When any post no matter how it is written can not generate a single like
you know you are on your own, no support.
And when someone tells you make headway but you need to be a Gentleman
all the time, that is annoying. I am not Jesus Christ.
So my next post after i have tea will throw light on things
in a way you will not expect.

Well that sorts that out then.
Question answered in full.

Be patient he said he was going to sort it out after tea. :face_with_monocle:

Firstly, this is not a war, but a discussion by interested people about a subject related to hifi, with, of course, a variety of differing views.

Secondly, if you can’t keep track of what individuals have said, should you be responding to individuals criticising their expressed views or lomping them with others into groups at whom you feel obliged to shower criticism? I note that of the “stuff coming at you” several have been from other people pointing out that you have accused them saying something they haven’t, or lumping them under some banner that clearly doesn’t fit.

Oh, and thirdly, you didn’t actually answer an earlier question of mine: