Cable burn in

TILT! - TILT! - TILT!
Look EVERYBODY knows Burn in takes place. Just ask any Amplifier Manufacturer
Valve or Transistor and who cares which bits burn in or dont burn in or how long each
bit takes or if it is the Dielectric or the Wire or both.
GET A GRIP! THERE IS NO NOBEL PRIZE HERE
Also while you thought i was involved in a Burn in discussion - not really - I would not
bother my self with something so mundane.
I just wanted to see how far you would go - dubious tests etc. a near fanatical drive
to establish a whatever you were my larger interest. YOU your wonderful selves
were my subjects. I had more interest in discovering your mind sets.
The thoughts /results of this already 3/4 written will likely see daylight in Padded Cell.
Bl-ss-d be

The subject of the thread is burn in of cables, and nothing to do with electronic components in amps like transistors or capacitors, which I think most if not all scientists and engineers on here recognise can change (and I have stated so myself).

Reading this thread it is clearly not the case that everybody knows burn in (of cables) is a fact: There are people who believe it does. There are people who have ‘heard’ a change over time, though only one I recall coming across who has made a direct comparison with an ‘unburnt’ cable. There are declarations from manufacturers who benefit from people believing it. And there are many explanations as to why someone may ‘hear’ a difference over time even if nothing has actually changed in terms of the sound.

Proper controlled testing is the way to know for certain - and if a difference is found that will convince those sceptical about it.

afk, will reply when i get back.

You are the second tester here. Raphael will test the veracity of the burn in effect.
But you are studying and observing the scientists here involved in the discussion. Why not invite them in your own laboratory?

This is the answer to my specific question (about WH Phantom cable burn-in):

Blockquote

We do suggest a burn-in of roughly two weeks. You may notice the Phantoms are already an improvement but still a bit bright at the beginning, which should subside revealing a very relaxed sound.

Please do let us know how you fare our if we may be of further assistance.

All the best,

John

1 Like

Of course they also have an interest in you getting used to any changes instead of returning the cable after a day. And this, as such, is not wrong, buyers indeed should give it time to evaluate any changes

Am I right in assuming that in stating “Even if you had the required detection capability which you dont.”, you are including all possible methods of detection?

Do you recall post with Electron Microscope it was actually a serious post.
I was assuming general workshop facilities.
Beyond that things look better dont they.

Please refer to earlier posts regarding burn in electrical gadgets including Future Shop.
If you wish to go down this route you may well get clear audible results removing the need
for any testing at all. This will depend on the strength of Sonic signal that is likely imprinted
on the cable depending on the Gadget used.
This should pretty much be a given else these services/gadgets could not justify their existence.

You dont make it easy for me to reply do you.
I guess the study laboratory is this forum.
Raphael needs to take Care i think he may only have 2 fates
and one of them was suffered by Julius Cesare.
You can work out my education level by my spelling
i cant write a full line without referring to the dictionary!

It would appear that you forgot to refer to a dictionary in your last response to me.

1 Like

Checking this thread has become a part of my daily routine…:joy: it never fails to deliver.

7 Likes

@Mark84, and I guess you have a lot of time to check this thread since your new speakers are finished … :wink:

1 Like

Yes I have lots of listening to do so I can hear them change as they burn in. Lots of different types of burn in happening. Rubber surrounds, cables, crossover components. Binding posts…
So what better to do than lay on the couch reading the burn in thread?

3 Likes

I’m sorry I’m confused as to what you are saying, I don’t really understand that post.

Maybe something was lost in the use of language (it must be hard for people who do not use English as their main language). I was trying to understand which of these possibilities you were suggesting:

1 Do you think that there is no way to detect cable burn in using any methods at all?

2 Do you think that detection cannot be achieved by any technical methods as discussed?

3 Something else?

1 Like

Now you’ve done it, another 1000 posts in response to the quote above are sure to arrive soon. :joy:. I hope they sound more to you liking every day.

Scott

They have changed quite a lot since I first plugged them in… more bass at low volume, more open sound, more smooth, more depth, more airy sounding. The dynamics are just awesome! Most likely it is all mechanical break in due to the spiders and rubber surrounds but I will never know unless I build another identical pair and switch out the parts to test which have changed but that is not going to happen! Personally I think all of the components burn/run in to a certain degree. I think it is much more pronounced as all the parts are brand new and the speakers haven’t done a period of running in as commercial speakers do. And why does the running in result in better sound? The product was designed with the run in state as the finished product.

1 Like

I have only very recently worked most of what i have ever written is simply not understood
when i use an alternative way of presenting or describing the transmission to the audience
is ZERO. I think if it is not put point blank in a semi scientific way (i do the best i can) it is simply not visible,after all you do have to speak the language of the buyer(look done it again)
The post in question was delivering a very serious message - put in the scenario of a class at school who had the identical objectives of this forum. Georgina was the bright student who
solved the task in the most best way i could imagine live current viewed through an Electron Microscope so that is my answer to you. I described Johnnys effort of using a Modified Crystal set and rubbing 2 sticks together as my personal view of what i thought of the equipment you would be assembling in comparison to a Electron Microscope.

(We can not use a Neg result here as it just a return to the same age old divide)
If somebody can not hear burn in and is provided with a Test that proves it by measure.
It follows they still can not hear it, so they are back where they started!!
Not a bad result for $50,000,000 and involving all the Worlds Universities.

Anyone who thinks this is some sort of bountiful worthwhile and intelligent discussion
is a Ning Nong.
What is actually taking place is a somewhat self induced group psychological hysteria
feeding off it self in a lemming like pursuit of an insignificance.