Cable burn in

I’m becoming convinced that I am in some dysreality.

3 Likes

Let’s hope it remains in this thread.

4 Likes

First, thank you for the answer to my previous post, I now have a much better understanding of what you were saying, and it was good that I asked. I had previously completely misunderstood the context of your post, and it would have been wrong of me to have commented further on your post based on that misunderstanding. I fear that this has happened several times on this thread where some responses have based on misunderstandings.

On the other hand I also feel that these comments of yours:

are inappropriate misrepresentations of some people.

I am one who currently believes that the ‘burn-in’ of cables is a psychological effect. I am NOT a burn-in denier, I have heard it with both speakers and electronics; the changes here can be of quite significant magnitude. These changes are of considerably greater magnitude than the day to day changes I hear occurring when my system has been untouched for many months (which are due to the inherent variability of human perception). I believe that these are likely to have a physical cause and I have a good understanding of the physics that can explain changes of this magnitude.

I have also heard changes soon after changing cables, but in this case, the changes have not greatly exceeded the magnitude of the changes due to the inherent variability of my (human) perception. I also understand the transmission of an electrical signal within a metallic conductor, and I believe that the changes that can be induced by such a small current as flows in an interconnect cable (~100nA) cannot, at normal temperatures (less than 600Kelvin) cause any significant change in the copper, since there is no known mechanism by which this can occur in these conditions (the changes that are known to occur in more extreme conditions cannot be relevant here). As stated previously I am less sure about the possibility of changes in the physical dimensions of the cable and how the resulting changes in electrical characteristics may affect the electronic devices connected to each end of the cable. I am also less certain of the stability of solder joints, although I consider the likely hood of significant change here to have low probability (power amp input impedance >10kΩ over the audio spectrum, impedance of the solder joint <0.01Ω, therefore the maximum effect the solder joint can have is less than 0.0001%).

My interest in this is academic - I seek knowledge, I seek understanding.

It’s not appropriate to refer to someone as a “Ning Nong” or affected by “a somewhat self induced group psychological hysteria” simply because they seek knowledge that is more definitive than that provided by their human senses with all the limitations of they have; (and this applies whether or not they attribute the changes they hear during a systems early days to cable ‘burn in’ or to the variability of their senses and perception).

14 Likes

Thank you for introducing me to a new term: I had never heard it before, but I gather that Ning-Nong means fool. Interesting that you appear to be calling a lot of people fools. Some people may feel that is insulting.

Clearly you have neither interest in exploring the subject of the possible phenomenon of cable burn in nor respect for those who wish to expand knowledge and understanding of the subject. What a pity. I hope your posts don’t discourage those who are interested in seeking confirmation or otherwise of cable change with use, and seeking to find any measurable change as well as audible, which may then help understanding of mechanism.

1 Like

I find it interesting that there are accounts of cables sounding markedly better several years later. For the life of me, I wouldn’t be able to discern what I heard several years ago as opposed to now :relaxed:

2 Likes

I suspect Richard’s finger is hovering over the ‘Eject Thread to the Padded Cell’ button…

1 Like

I think it’s more like ‘Eject thread to file 13’!

Which would be a pity given the serious consideration and discussion here about setting up genuine tests.

We are not posting one on one. These comments were a separate General post.
I think they are as worthy to be appraised as any other post including ones sent to me.
I dont think any possibilities need be excluded so am a little suprised at response
i think i hit a nerve who knows?
I could have written Misguided So now all would be good??
But Ning Nong is a nice friendly phrase in Australia ( Silly being a little more insulting)
So there is no need to be a Ning Nong over it.
I am not well enough to disseminate the rest of your post at the moment.

Explain to me why you are not a Doppleganger.

Just to clarify your continual misunderstandings.
You are Exactly right i have no interest in exploring Burn in Having done it Decades ago,
apparently before you discovered the switch to your Hi Fi.

No no no!..it is too entertaining!

A doppleganger is a person with an identical or near identical face to someone else (living). I have no idea what the relevance is in this thread, however it is said that in all probability everyone has (therefore is) a doppleganger, and of course there may be more than one. Meeting or becoming aware of a doppleganger is rare, and no-one can be sure they don’t have one, so the question is nonsensical. In my case there is a famous singer who I have been mistaken for on many occasions in public places, with people refusing to believe I am not him, so I know I have (and am) a doppleganger.

You evidently know far more about this - and hifi generally - than anyone else here (and I gather from your posts that your are much more intelligent), so why not just tell us what happens to cables when they burn in? It would save so much time and effort.

8 Likes

So did you verify that burn-in of cables in was a genuine phenomenon by direct comparison with unburnt cables not by memory, more than 51 years ago?

In all fairness IB, when you go out shopping dressed like this, it’s an easy mistake to make :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How did you know that was me? :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh! thank you, that made me laugh!

As someone who has in the past dealt with loved ones suffering from certain conditions on more than one occasion, i have to say this thread has become a bit worrisome to me, since there are certain patterns emerging that feel somewhat familiar.

3 Likes

Now we know you are in Australia and soon you will be framed.

I hope your eyelid is improving and wish you the best.