Cable lifts

Hi

Just wondering about the forum’s experience of cable “lifts” - to raise speaker cables off the floor.
I see them advertised more often - some with big claims of “sparkling” improvements in SQ.
Are these a new must have or simply something to buy when you’ve run out of upgrades to throw your money at.?

My naca5 runs through pieces of pipe insulation to keep it off the floor. I can hear a positive difference.

1 Like

I also use pipe insulation cut into 2 inch segments.
Difference? :thinking:
Cheap so nothing to lose
David

1 Like

My listening room has parquet flooring with a 12 x 10 ft carpet in the middle. I had NAC5 cable running around the room edge and partly under the carpet. All a bit obtrusive especially under the carpet. My speakers are at one end of the long wall and Naim kit at the other.
I decided to upgrade to SL cable and wanted it out of sight. Behind each speaker there is a hole in the parquet flooring with pipe wrap through which the SL cable emerges. Runs up the back wall and emerges through more pipe wrap to all the black boxes.
My other concern was pretty expensive cable lying on the concrete slab under the floor boards and the slight chance of water ingress due to too much rain! It has happened twice in about 30 odd years. I got the electrician to tie the cables loosely to the underside of the joists well off the floor.
No comments from guests. Not unusual. The last comment was “looks expensive”. Not the cable as its hidden but the boxes.
How does it sound? Better as you might imagine. Not a night and day upgrade, but looks a lot better.
Douglas.

1 Like

Pipe insulation keeps my cables apart and off the floor and I am absolutely convinced that it has made a positive difference. I am also absolutely convinced by the power of suggestion and the existence of the placebo effect!

Anyway, I’m happy and that is all that matters!

Nighty, night.

1 Like

From what I’ve read - it depends on how the cables have been constructed. Recently expensive speaker cables have gone into major shielding, with complex extrusions of insulation and taking the look of a thick rigid massive monster cable. Other types have gone the other way with a less is more approach with minimal shielding and using thin strands of expensive metals. I would think the later rather than the former would be more susceptible to air born and surface vibrations and respond positively to being supported.

1 Like

I do the same. In reality I’ve no idea whether it makes any difference to SQ but the fact I’ve put the effort in to elevate the cable all the way from amp to speakers convinces me that it has!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.