Cable Risers can Improve SQ…?

Not sure I am clear what we are trying to protect against with these speaker cable risers
(a) is it the speaker cables from themselves by creating space around them
(b) I can understand some carpets could cause static but not wood or concrete
(c) my floor is concrete with ceramic tiles and has no bar reinforcement, or pipes or cables underneath.
(d) can cables be pinned to wall three inches above floor (or do walls have same issues as the floor).

Can someone put me straight?

Static?
What static?

10 Likes

From Wikipedia:

“Materials are made of atoms that are normally electrically neutral because they contain equal numbers of positive charges (protons in their nuclei) and negative charges (electrons in “shells” surrounding the nucleus). The phenomenon of static electricity requires a separation of positive and negative charges. When two materials are in contact, electrons may move from one material to the other, which leaves an excess of positive charge on one material, and an equal negative charge on the other. When the materials are separated they retain this charge imbalance.”

"Many semiconductor devices used in electronics are particularly sensitive to static discharge. Conductive antistatic bags are commonly used to protect such components. People who work on circuits that contain these devices often ground themselves with a conductive antistatic strap.

In the industrial settings such as paint or flour plants as well as in hospitals, antistatic safety boots are sometimes used to prevent a buildup of static charge due to contact with the floor. These shoes have soles with good conductivity."

1 Like

Unshielded Cat 1 ?

G

11 Likes

Not sure what that article from Wikipedia is supposed to tell us in the present context?

I have two short lengths of RF “semi-rigid” with phono connectors on each end. I’d bought a couple of secondhand bits of Meridian 200 series kit and the chap had made them to run between two of the boxes

Build ‘em from Lego?
These under the S-V are part of the complete kit, but you get the idea.

EDIT: From a quick check on Bricklink, you could get the parts for one bracket (the smaller one) for a couple of quid + pp (say around a fiver per bracket) - cheaper than many cable risers/lifters I’ve seen!

And other colours are available. :grinning:

This could be just the thing for those long winter nights!

6 Likes

If I can get some large anti-static bags is this the answer for my coils of speaker cable?

Tweak to find the correct height and diameter for optimal results. :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Now that is classy!

Just need a few Rubies to generate enough of those risers.

(Apologies for sinking to the level of toilet humour)

7 Likes

You could try it and report back?

1 Like

I’m 120m above sea level so my cables are already well risen :innocent:

Darn!!! RvL, that’s just beaten the whole lot lock, stock and barrel… ingenious!

2 Likes

I’d be afraid that the rubber bands impede electron movement!!1!

1 Like

Beyond having my SL interconnect hanging off a wall mounted diffuser in free air in cable ties and otherwise complete cable separation, I did try wooden cable lifters for my speaker cables extensively. With my speakers on Townsend Podiums I did in the end decide, that it actually didn’t make any difference. ATB Peter
PS. This however did….:rofl:

16 Likes

Lol… the pressure points being exerted on the cable seem daunting with soon-to-be formed dents…

2 Likes

Peter… you need RvL’s contraption… but what would the Mrs say…? ha ha

A bubble of electrons will form before the rubber band, and it will continue swelling and eventually will explode, and then who knows what the consequences will be!!

1 Like

It’s getting to us… to the point of electron flow talk… LOL

Let’s not jump the gun here… that ingenuity could well be working just fine… we never know! Cest la vie… simplicity often works because less is more.

(I won’t pass the night alive when she finds out…)

1 Like