Cables chord Vs naca5

I don’t see many threads about odyssey 4 in search engine.
Is there something that can happens to the speakers or SU itself? Any one had some trouble with it, ever?

My understanding is that what is critical for at least some Naim amps is a minimum inductance, and a maximum capacitance. This dictates a minimum length of any cable, what exactly is required depending on the cable’s characteristic inductance, while limiting the acceptability of high capacitance cables. IIRC the recommended minimum length for NACA5 is 3.5m, other cables may be more or less. If you can find the characteristic inductance and capacitance of any cable, and know the calculation, you can work out the minimum length for any alternative. As for biwiring, aside from being of dubious benefit even if inductance and capacitance are OK, having two cables electrically in parallel with each other, which is what it is, lowers the inductance so you need the cables to be a lot longer…

Ok, sounds reasonable. But I just have to admit this cable sounds great… :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I made major upgrades to 250/282 combo last year I saw Naca5 as an essential part of the system. When the dealer gave me them for free (he had a customer change his mind so had 2 x 4m terminated runs just gathering dust) I was even happier! System really sounds on point to me.

3 Likes

Your understanding is 180 degrees out IB
Naim amps need a high inductance & low capacitance.

To comment on bi-wiring; bi-wiring halves inductance
If a cable length is 1uH for a single run, add the same cable to bi-wire the connection, then it will measure 0.5uH

NACA5 properly terminated for reasons outlined all over this forum.

1 Like

Crikey, NAC A5 must sound really dull by comparison, in the context of a Naim system :flushed:

I think they are twisted inside.

Other than interaction with other cables or objects, the cable being twisted or not is irrelevant, only its inductance and capacitance (and from a different angle, rresistance if a very thin or long cable).

That is exactly what I said - a minimum inductance, i.e. it must be more than a certain amount, and capacitance must not exceed a maximum amount!!! However, I can see how my wording could be misread as suggesting the inductance should be as low as possible and capacitance as high as possible, as you did, so your clarification is not in vain.

I can see it might be what you meant, but its not what I read it as
Minimum inductance means a low number to me.
But OK OK if you had said a minimum of 3.5uH per channel, that is clear.

1 Like

That would be a minimal inductance. A minimum inductance, as I understand it, means that it must not be below a certain number

1 Like

@Suedkiez has nailed it! I said what is required is “a minimum inductance”, not “minimum capacitance”, i.e the inductance must be at least a certain inductance. And similarly “a maximum capacitance”…. However, as I said after you commented, clearly there is a possibility of my meaning having been taken wrongly, so your highlighting is no bad thing.

1 Like

Conductance, now it’s becoming even more confusing :joy:

It didn’t sound dull. Just slightly rolled off in the treble and a bass that doesn’t go too deep. The mid bass of the Naca5 is slightly more pronounced as it sticks out more but low bass is chopped off a little in comparison to Chord Epic.

Edit : the pair of Naca5 that I own is not factory terminated. I bought it used. The quality of the soldering at both ends of the cable may contribute to the less than stellar sound quality if it’s not properly done.

Oops, typo! I meant capacitance. Duly edited.

What is going on with your editing, also not being able to post links in the music chain thread??? Delete your cookies?

Ok, After all the ‘conduction talks’ I switch to 2x3.5m epic super twin and…
Wow!!! My SU and 1028be never sound better. Crazy! Love naim.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.