Cables off the floor, why?

Is that system owned by a rollercoaster designer?

3 Likes

I’m sure if you showed/explained this to a performing musician they’d think it an April fool joke…

I’m just thinking how much fun our dog would have jumping in and out of those cables or what Mrs Oxfordian would say.

1 Like

The problem is that apparently, according to many very sceptical sources, they work and the manufacturer stands by their product and demonstrates systems with and without these crazy things. Furutech even have a policy that dealers should let customers borrow these things for free under zero obligation.

Which then brings us to an age old question in hifi, at what point does sound quality really matter “most”? I’ve been quite upfront on a number of threads that if I find the room unpleasant due to fugly gear and decor, it detracts more from the enjoyment of the listening session than the hifi is able to compensate for. So for me, it is more like, yeah okay, there is a benefit. These things work. But I’m not buying them. Ever.

7 Likes

From what has been said in response to my question I am inclined to believe that if you have a perfect listening room then there may be some small SQ gains if you go down this route of cable lifters and separators.

But for a lot of us where our hifi has to fit in with our daily lives our rooms are a compromise, any SQ benefit of high level cable management is lost by the fact that the sofa is not perfectly placed, the room dimensions are not right, that bookcase could be better placed, we can’t have speakers a meter from a wall etc etc.

However, it makes sense to have some basic cable management, and that is something I can take on board and work with.

4 Likes

I use some of these, which was a lockdown purchase due to boredom…

Excellent for helping to keep speaker cables away from power cables, and vice Versa, behind the racks.

No idea if they “improve” sound quality but great for placebo…

Andy

Why?

Because producers are greedy.

Just look at the products Synergistic Research make. Jeesuz.

And I find it amusing that intelligent grown ups are able to throw away money on this. So much snake oil. But whatever floats your boat.

5 Likes

Steve Sells on ‘voodoo’ - 11.43. Otherwise a pretty dumb interview.

Observation possibly prompted by ‘problems’ with the Salisbury dem room.

I agree but there is some logic in just keeping things tidy, some basic control and thought about where power leads, interconnects and speaker cable are placed make sense, lifting them up or placing them on special stands is a no, at least for me it is.

LOL - how ridiculous, perhaps there is something toxic in that carpet?

You are spot on - it reminds me when I used to have my Hotwheels track setups as a kid - perhaps that is what some are yearning for again?

I am sure raising cables off vibrating wooden floorboards can help - especially if they are particularly bouncy in an old building - but I suspect some of these setups have veered strongly into obsessive territory.

1 Like

I enjoy lifting cables off my ‘concrete’ floor with bits of foam, it makes me feel crazy, plus the system sounds all the better for it :crazy_face:

1 Like

Don’t know about that, but probably a single man :grinning:

2 Likes

I experimented cables of the floor,
Not touching each other,
After my mess of cables,
Could tell no difference in sound,
No hums either way,
And directional speaker cable sounds the same either way,

5 Likes

That’s a good illustration of how Naim’s (and other) right angled plugs are a bad idea in many installations.

4 Likes

I agree, but makes no difference in sound,

Can’t see why the plugs should be doubled up like that mine fit flush to the Amp rear panel. :thinking:

I assumed it was the angle through which they force the speaker cables to bend to clear the shelf underneath… but you know what they say about assumptions!

1 Like

Yes, my point was that the cable exits the plug pointing directly down into the shelf below, putting stress on the plug and socket, and eliminating any possibility of the mechanical decoupling that Naim are aiming to achieve here.
If you use the very stiff NACA5 that Naim suggested, the problem is at its worst. Of course, if you use Fraim or similar shallow shelves the cable will just about clear the back of them and hang free.

In the past I’ve used nickel plated Deltron bananas to avoid this problem, saving the Naim plugs for the loudspeaker end where they are perfect for ensuring that the cables hang nicely from many sockets.

1 Like

Some of the older Naim kit used 4mm terminal type sockets rather than the 4mm panel sockets fitted to the later kit (and your SN3).

Your pic has reminded me that I need to re-terminate my KS-1 cables at the amp end with the Naim supplied SA8 plugs :+1:

1 Like