Cables off the floor, why?

Indeed… interesting news of late of exploring ghostly matter…perhaps there are parallels?

Neutrinos were seen at CERN a while ago.

Are there recent advances?

This reminds me of the high-energy Ghost Notes of Nate Smith, who demonstrates them and describes the technique in this 1 minute video:

I bet he uses cable lifters!

2 Likes

Neutrinos were first directly observed in 1956 in the USA, long before the LHC was a thing. Their mass is a current area of experimental research, but their existence absolutely is not.

Yes, they’ve been a staple of the Standard Model for yonks.

An old friend of mine did his PhD on the Tau Neutrino, with fieldwork at CERN.

There have been several threads. And absolutely humidity and altitude.

This is how cables were dressed at the back end of a 500k€ mass spectrometer that was on the proteomics platforms of my research institue.

I never heard the engineers complaining about the poor resolution of the machines because of cables touching the ground or each other. They never asked to buy expensive cables or cables lifters. I can assure that if it would have helped, they would have asked me to buy them.

3 Likes

Can I choose which side my right ear is located?

Have you tried cable lifters for yourself Simon? If you could borrow some of the Audioquest ones and can be bothered to try them out then your opinion may very well change. Or not, as the case may be. But either way it will be based on observation rather than assumption or speculation.

I was sceptical that the Audioquest lifters could have the profound effect that I had read about in reviews. Until I tried them on my speaker cables. The more one uses the worse things get.

1 Like

Audio rules are different, man.

Hypersensitive to EM noise, innit.

Ain’t just data.

There are metal bits in concrete floor and it may interfere with the copper in the cable.

Were they using these machines to play music? If not then perhaps that’s why these things were irrelevant. I use expensive mains blocks and cables on my stereo but I’ve never bothered with them on our electric kettle or toaster for instance. I use them on the hi-fi because they make it sound better. I wouldn’t expect to get a better cup of coffee or better toast from using them though.

1 Like

It’s not just the cables being lifted. :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes I did - for my NACA5 - they were home made using wood - to be honest I could hear no difference. I separated my ethernet cable from my FM coax and - I could hear a noticeable difference to my FM. I keep my Ethernet lead away from my speaker cables. I keep my interconnects away from mains leads and speaker leads - I am fairly sure I notice a subtle preference in low frequency balance.

I also have an EtherRegen Gen 1 ‘audiophile’ switch between my Cisco catalyst switch and my Naim streamer. I hear no difference at all - and I timed out on sending it back during the evaluation period I am ashamed to say through apathy. However I separate my DAC from my streamer with SPDIF which possibly helps here.

But I used to do a lot of tweaking… I kind of grew out of it once products improved and I learned how to mitigate common issues.

However in the early days of Naim streaming using the NDX - feeding an NDC/555PS, I did find that different UPnP playing the same media sounded subtly different. I investigated - and I found the more consistent the ethernet inter frame timing was of the media from the server - the better it sounded to my ears … and to me this was quite noticeable and consistent to the point I could tell what media server was creating the stream. I shared my research and network timing dumps with Naim engineering at the time whilst they were developing the the then next generation streamers - those later products were architected differently and had different spooling dynamics so did not exhibit this difference at all… I remember getting an email from a rather pleased Naim employee saying I would likely be pleased with their new approach in terms of SQ for network streaming and how they had mitigated what I had observed and measured.

4 Likes

My home made eforts and also the Cardas wooden blocks that I tried certainly had far less effect than the Audioquest things - which were just awful. However I suspect that you wouldn’t hear anything with these either.

Hard to explain this. We are both seaoned and experienced listeners. Different systems though and different environments. Who knows?

I agree about keeping ethernet away from other cables. I noticed this with mine too.

1 Like

I am a bit red faced over this mess , a temporary situation . But lifting the whole damn thing with rad insulation just does something it’s nothing other than I just seem to like it subconsciously .

2 Likes

Yes.

:raised_hands:

This is a problem with cables on a concrete floor.

(I think somebody may have mentioned that further up the thread too.)

Are those all Naim Powerlines?

No no just lites unfortunately, still need two more as using still 2 original cables.

That’s a seriously big mains block! I would get rid of the Power Monitoring gubbins - it won’t be doing the sound any favours.

They appear to be Powerline Lites.