Cables off the floor, why?

a quote from the-ear review on nss333, nac 332 and nap 350…
“Like all New Classic components the power inlet is a loose fit in the casework in order to minimise vibration transmission by the mains cable, a cable which is supplied with a 13A plug that has a similar anti resonance system on its outlet. Naim clearly take the effects of vibration on electronics seriously.”

After extensive consideration, I believe cable lifters fall in the same group of influences appropriated by listeners considering when listening rooms are either carpeted or ones that has a hard flooring of wood, ceramic or concrete, stone.

Those with carpets without cable lifters should have an easier method of farming dust by static. which after several years unattending should have a nice layer of magic fairy dust that works with cloth ears.

Those with hard floors prefer the live sound of uncorrected room anomalies. Cable lifters adding to this effect. :innocent:
With an insidious reminder of dust needing to be seen to.

Surely it depends on whether you use reinforced concrete floors or not. I don’t - or at least not with anything metallic, I use traditional concrete design with flint and slate (as the damp proof) as I have an old property - perhaps that’s why my cables sound good on the concrete with overlay and short pile woollen carpet of course.

This may explain the difference between our experiences.

Our floor is suspended wooden and we have a nylon carpet. This means our floor will be far more prone to vibration and our carpet will be charged with static, unlike yours.

It may of course have nothing to do with it. But I do like nice neat explanations that make perfect sense!

The reason why we have cables off the floor is because it sounds better - otherwise, what’s bloody point? If one can’t detect a difference, why even debate? :wink:

1 Like

I have a degree in engineering, a PhD in molecular biology and been the director of a 300 people international research institute that hosted mass spectrometers, electron microscopes and a dozen of cutting edge photonic microscopes. I am a scientist and have published my research in Nature and Science. By the way neither the electron microscopes nor the high power lasers of the photonic microscopes are dressed or isolated from the ground.

Indeed, I didn’t run all these equipment myself but supervised the engineers. And none of them, nor the scientists that used these equipments (about 50 people) ever asked me cable lifters for their exquisitely sensitive machines.

7 Likes

Exactly. Just that in my case it sounded worse! But at least I detected a difference!

1 Like

FR actually I have been using Chord Carnival for a long time and plan to use them with my new system. At one point I bought more expensive cables but was not convinced. I am not saying that cables don’t do anything but question whether they are as important as some proclaim. I have much more doubts about cables dressing for reasons I explained above. But anyone is free to experiment.

2 Likes

Yes, as in tasting food, having sex or whatever, there is no science. It’s one prefers. If one can’t tell any difference, why get invovled?

3 Likes

I could ask them but given the cost of one hour on these machines which are working 7/7 24/24 and the lack of physics supporting the idea that suspending the cables could have an effect, I would probably have a hard time to convince them to do the experiments.

I was more thinking of cable dressing, ie making sure that cables are not in a messy pile on top of each other to reduce possible effects of interference between various touching cables.

Wouldn’t cost anything to ask the manager of this machine what his or her opinion is on the matter.

I could ask indeed.

If you do, please let us know. :grinning::dart:

So why laboratories used piezoelectric isolation platforms for high end precision microscopes ?

SEM-Base® VI is the next generation in STACIS active piezoelectric vibration cancellation. SEM-Base VI is designed to support all commercial Scanning Electron Microscopes (SEMs), as well as many Focused Ion Beam (FIB) and Small Dual Beam instruments. SEM-Base VI provides improved vibration isolation performance, a faster more robust controller, and an advanced graphical user interface (GUI). SEM-Base VI will enable more labs and facilities to achieve the level of floor vibration required to satisfy the specifications of the tool manufacturer.

1 Like

quote=“michelw, post:252, topic:33868”]
I have a degree in engineering, a PhD in molecular biology and been the director of a 300 people international research institute that hosted mass spectrometers, electron microscopes and a dozen of cutting edge photonic microscopes. I am a scientist and have published my research in Nature and Science.
[/quote]

Ok, ok!:slight_smile:
Only it makes it all the more awkward.
And all of this is less relevant than anyone’s honest home listening test here on the topic as far as I am concerned

1 Like

I agree, molecular biology and audio have so many things in common as spaghettis and speakers cables :joy:
The same for those it engineers who work in the industry and have the certitude of knowing all the network audio domain.
The effects on me are similar to those for the cat:

1 Like

Nobody told this guy. :flushed:

11 Likes

I never knew anacondas were used in Hi-Fi systems :laughing:

2 Likes

Do you think those pythons mind being wired to the amp and speakers?

The true definition of Snake Oil.

DG…

4 Likes