Calibrated microphone

It is illuminating, yes. I tend to listen mostly and use REW to confirm (hopefully) that I was right. On my last adjustment REW showed what I heard was correct but it was reassuring in any case.
I have a small room (around 3 x 4) so I’m limited to what adjustments I can do and once I’ve done the best I can, that’s it.

£119.00 including shipping in UK

or

75$ online

see posts #20-21 for UK suppliers ( I chose one of the two noted).

I think the 75 bucks is from minidsp themselves, so add postage, taxes et al!

I’ve done the other way round - REW is much quicker than listening assessments, at least with my ears, taking just a couple of minutes ti assess each change, ears then to confirm that the apparently best position sounded right - and it did.

Really? Sliding speakers along the floor and playing a couple short sequences is very quick. Similar with some toe in adjustments.
A before and after check with REW confirmed that bass response was less peaky - the bass (sub 100Hz) was the only thing I was interested in getting as good as reasonably possible.

I don’t find it quick/easy to assess sound defects aurally, usually requiring multiple back and forth repeat to be sure which is best, and playing of a wide range of the types of music I like, as what may improve one might have an adverse effect on the other. I guess it would be far easier playing a slow sweep test tone while listening, which I have never thought to do. REW only takes a couple of minutes after moving the speakers or listening position etc, and doesn’t need multiple back and forth, and only listening once the REW indicates the best positioning to confirm happy, or where there are two or three optimal positions but with differences to choose between them.

1 Like

My missus assisted with the adjustments for bass response using a few bass heavy tracks, once done I marked with masking tape and added toe-in incrementally until I was satisfied. Speakers were then put back on the spikes.
REW was then taken and some DSP added to Roon. Further minor tweaks were done and re-measured to update the DSP. The REW RTA graph showed the same general characteristics after changes except for some improvements in bass smoothness so I could see all was well.

For me REW is a god tool and creates Convolution filters that I can apply to Roon, these only cover low bass (sub 100Hz) and are quite subtle in effect.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.