Calling all Frappers

Listen up, @crispyduck and all Goldfrapp fans!

Following the release of Alison’s debut solo album last year, now it’s Will’s turn!

The Will Gregory Moog Ensemble will be releasing their first album (CD, LP, download, etc) Heat Ray: The Archimedes Project on Mute on 14th June. Looks like there will be a tour as well.

Here’s the press blurb:

The Will Gregory Moog Ensemble – which at times, comprises up to fourteen players – was formed by Ivor Novello winning musician, producer and co-creator of Goldfrapp, Will Gregory. Although they have been performing together since 2005, it took Archimedes to bring the ensemble together to commit these spirals of melody, circular structures, sequences, and patterns to tape. The album’s inspiration occurred during the pandemic lockdowns, when Will started digging into the mathematician’s life, after watching lectures online. “I became a bit of a YouTube fiend. Attending all these lectures I would never normally go to on subjects I had no business to be interested in. Scratch any of these maths gurus and it turned out Archimedes was their favourite mathematician. I wanted to find out why.”

The ensemble’s members – a talented bunch who have worked with the likes of Florence & the Machine and Dua Lipa - include Portishead’s Adrian Utley, a longtime collaborator of Will’s, who plays on the album and produced it. Mute’s Daniel Miller is its “kind of executive producer”, and he even played on one of the tracks. “Given he’s been into synths right from his early days, and is a genius with them, that was a good moment”, alongside John Baggott, Graham Fitkin, Simon Haram, Vyvyan Hope-Scott, Ross Hughes, Hazel Mills, Daniel Moore, Hinako Omori, Eddie Parker, Harriet Riley and Ruth Wall, their instruments include Minimoog, Moog Voyager, Korg 700s, Prophet 6 and Roland JX3P, their individual lines coming together in intricate arrangements creating a stunning superstructure of sounds.

Heat Ray takes the fertile imagination and application of those incredible times, and adds an effervescent spirit of discovery to the mix, one that often crackles and sparkles when musicians are powerfully inspired to make music together. Another legacy of Archimedes’ work rises up as a consequence – an album that brings ancient history into the modern world, pushing us towards an endlessly curious fascinating future.

8 Likes

It reminds me a well known movie. I imagine that music in that scene.
IMG_2783

:joy:

Nice one Kev - can’t wait!

1 Like