Calling Johann Sebastian aficionados

Guys,

Would welcome suggestions as to the best Brandenburg recordings.

Regards,

Lindsay

Wellā€¦ thats likely to provoke many optionsā€¦!!

Not going to claim it is the best, but I currently own -

Previously I think I owned this, but sold it, during a ā€˜clear outā€™ -

Both are good. Bestā€¦? YMMV.

In my dotage Iā€™m tending to nostalgia. I mean by this I favour the first recordings I heard. The first dates to 1982, and the second 2006; I prefer the older recording, which was one bought with my first serious paycheck.

2 Likes

Damn. No, the version that I used to have was this -

I still sold itā€¦!!!

3 Likes

To further confuse, there is a choice between ā€˜period correctā€™ or modern instruments, in the various versions.

Which is bestā€¦? Only your ears can decide.

The ECO/Raymond Leppard (Phillips) set was famous in its day - 40 or so years ago, with a stellar cast of musicians.

Itā€™s almost certainly deleted now, replaced by more ā€˜authenticā€™, less interesting, versions.

1 Like

I still have the Roy Goodman version which I think is excellent.

1 Like

I bought it, based onā€¦ the Penguin guide, I thinkā€¦? To replace the Trevor Pinnock version that I sold on, some years ago. Seemed OK to meā€¦

Thanks guys.

I think ā€œbestā€ is a slippery concept in comparing musical performances. Thatā€™s especially true with baroque music where the preference for the sound of ā€œoriginalā€ vs modern instruments is so personal. @anon70766008 finds authentic performances ā€˜less interestingā€™. I find many earlier full orchestral versions of the Brandenbergs unlistenable (not Leppardā€™s). I much prefer recorders to flutes in No 4, for example. In recent years, music colleges have turned out many extremely fine players of original instruments and I no longer hear a difference in performance standards.

As for a recommended recording, I bought Trevor Pinnockā€™s earlier version with the English Concert when they first came out and have enjoyed them regularly ever since. But for a lively, even jazzy modern set Iā€™d recommend Concerto Italiano led by Rinaldo Alessandrini:

Roger

4 Likes

Also well reviewed in the Penguin Guide of yore:

Telarc CD80412, recorded in 1993-4.
(also available on two separate releases; CD80368 (1 to 3) and CD80354 (4 to 6))

Fabulous natural Telarc SQ and excellent performances too.

Mark

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.