Camping Stoves?

That Genesis is exactly what I’m looking for, though they look discontinued but shall have a proper look across the net.

Sorry to hear about your friend @Thomas just awful situation.

1 Like

That looks like a great lightweight option if you need something portable but I’m not sure I’d want it for car camping. You’re paying a lot of money for a lightweight portable stove, and it looks like it takes small cylinders that are usually many times more expensive that a slightly larger refillable one and don’t last very long.
Also there is no windshield at all so you may need to make arrangements for that.

1 Like

For car camping I think it makes sense to just get a normal gas two burner with good wind protection. We have used a Sunncamp one very like this one for the past 19 years and it’s still going strong!!

http://www.sunncamp.co.uk/products/show/354

The only other stove I use is a Trangia 25 which is also superb - in fact we use the pots and pans from the Trangia as our main cooking pans on the sunncamp. This has the added benefit that if the gas stove ever runs out on some remote campsite at 8pm I just switch to the Trangia. The Trangia 25 system will cook for 3-4, the Trangia 27 for 1-2 people.

Both are absolutely brilliant little stoves and the Trangia was a 21st birthday present from my Sister - and that’s 32 years ago now!!

They both work as well today as they did all those happy years ago. Personally I have never liked the idea of cooking with petrol or even carrying gas to a degree. The Trangia runs on meths which is much much safer than both - you could do worse than run two Trangia’s actually!! Very compact, very light and very safe and they burn best in wind!! You can even buy the gas conversion kit and run em on gas if you wish!

Also the Trangia is one of the very few cooking stoves that simmers food nicely too. Frankly it’s probably the best camping stove in the world… The complete cooking system. Made in Sweden since 1925 - Trangia

Jonathan

2 Likes

I do like Trangia stoves, although I’m not so sure about their safety record. A friend who was involved with groups of youngsters, mostly scouts and guides, banned them after finding that under his predecessors watch someone had incinerated a tent by spilling burning meths in it, and on another occasion a girl had burnt her face by trying to blow one out instead of using the little cap to extinguish the flame. I’ve come across a couple of incidents of fuel spilt in storage too, one of which was when it was in someone’s rucksack and the fuel leaked into clothing from an aluminium bottle.

I continued to use them myself, including with groups of youngsters, but not without some careful supervision to ensure that they understood the potential dangers. Somehow the gas stoves we used we also used seemed to command a little more respect, I think due to the roaring sound they made compared to the silent operation of the Trangias.

1 Like

I love Snow Peak and have a GigaPower in Ti with the auto-light feature, the LiteMax, and a predecessor to the bi-pod stove which I can run inverting the canister, as a liquid fuel stove for colder conditions, which we rarely see here in Arkansas. Snow Peak stoves are designed to work best with their own proprietary fuel blend. You can get it to operate with other fuels but Snow Peak fuel is vastly superior in my opinion. I also have a Snow Peak wind screen for the GigaPower Auto. They also have many much larger stove solutions that work well, but I have not stepped up to anything but the smaller canister stoves.

Sorry about your wallet.

1 Like

I’ve used Coleman stoves for years… And usually pump it a few times, light it then pump it twenty or so times to pressurise it… Did this for years! Worked perfectly

A few years ago I pumped it before I lit it and the gasket must have perished and it sprayed a fine mist of aspen fuel all over me! If It had been lit I’d have gone up in flames!!!

Binned it straight away and bought a jetboil… never will go back! They are amazing!

1 Like

I know what you mean. I’ve been driving my Vectra for 20 years with no problem. Last week I was driving at 30mph and suddenly the fuel line split, spraying me with petrol. I got out quick and stood there in amazement. The car caught fire. I watched, but in hindsight, a little too close, as I caught on fire. Luckily there was a circus close by who saw me. A clown ran over and threw a bucket of water over me to dowse the flames. I sat there drenched and shouted “That car’s going in the ditch”. Never again. I’m getting a Tesla.

1 Like

Shame the clown didn’t use his squirty flower to put it out :joy:

1 Like

We had a Coleman dual burner stove when I went family camping with my parents and brother in the 1960’s to early 1970’s. Amazingly, it’s not changed much! I suppose that when simple tech just works, why change?!?!?

We had a similar Coleman lantern that used a silk mantle, and Coleman heater for the camper (“catalytic heater” I think it was called). The heater did not require any pumping/pressurization.

1 Like

I’m glad you weren’t hurt but I think that’s not the best way to operate these. Pump to pressure; then light.

2 Likes

Yeah I know…
But having used them for so long… I was just a bit over confident…
Never go back thou! Gas is the way forward… unless its really cold cos then its rubbish

1 Like

That’s why the minimalist JetBoil is perfect for high altitude.

It is light, compact and convenient.

You don’t need anything else. We already have more than enough gear!

I’m off for two days in the Mont Blanc massif :partying_face:

3 Likes

That Jetboil looks great, I still have an old Epigas stove that’s great for boiling water, not so good for cooking as it has a pointed flame like a bunsen burner.

Before the screw-on cylinders were available I recall many patient hours spent melting snow on various snowholes in Nepal as it was the only way to get water. At first we had to use those blue Camping Gaz cylinders which had very poor heat output. The solution was to carry two stoves, hang one from the roof, and hold the other one underneath it to warm the cylinder, a trick I learned from the late Doug Scott who was highly skilled at surviving against the odds at high altitude.

2 Likes

9 Likes

And they come in nice boxes:

(Packing 4 holidayz atm)

2 Likes

It is a technique that is still in use, but not exactly this way.

Either a candle is placed under the gas cylinder, or two cylinder are used.

I prefer the second option.

One cylinder is kept warm under the down jacket against the body, while the other is used. When the first one is too cold, we switch. I did this for my bivouacs above 4000m.

Pointe Louis Amédée 4460m

3 Likes

I was glad to see the back of those Camping Gaz stoves with the cylinders you punctured a hole in instead of screwing them on. Epigas (subsequently bought out by Coleman) developed these, and also introduced propane/butane mix which burned hotter. Their Alpine stove had an inlet tube which passed through the flame to preheat the gas, but crucially the cylinder was on a flexible hose, so you could hold it very close to the flame to get it properly warmed up.

Not as compact as your Jetboil, but back then it was a big step forwards.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.