Can fiber improve vs lan cable

Uptone say about using optical fibre into (or out of) the EtherREGEN:

Only Gigabit LC-optical or copper interface modules are compatible with the SFP cage of the EtherREGEN. They can be SX multi-mode, LX multi-mode, or LX single-mode, as long as they are Gigabit and match what is used at the other end of the optical cable.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is BOM?

Bill of Materials - the actual cost of materials used to make the item.

Hi IB,
Apologies. Bill of Material is the cost of all the components bought in to make up the finished item.

Best regards, BF

So now there is only to find which one of these SX, LX, is compatible with Cisco.

The SFP you would need is a GLC-SX-MM. It will take LC connectors on an OM1 cable, which is readily available from the likes of Cable Monkey.
The genuine Cisco SFPs are, like the switches, quite expensive, but can be found cheap on ebay. Best to get genuine Cisco ones, as some third party copies require you to log into the switch and enable them.

2 Likes

Hi FR,
Iā€™m not sure how difficult that is. If you buy an ER from Uptone, just ask them. If you buy it from the Audiostore in the UK, just ask Martin Smith. In my experience, both are enthusiastic about helping customers with such questions.

As for which SFP modules work in the Cisco switches, I named a couple in the ER/EE thread a few days ago.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

I thought the difficulty was to choose the right optical cable which will work both with ER and Cisco.
Thanks Bluesfan

Hi FR,
I suspect the objective difficulty can be overcome by searching for ā€œOM1 LC to LC fibre optic cableā€ in your favourite search engine.

The largest psychological challenge may be that they cost about Ā£15 for a 3m length, rather than Ā£1500.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

I remember @Darkebear who related that one specific fiber he tried didnā€™t worked with his Etheregen and Cisco.
Perhaps @charlesphoto knows which cable will work from Cisco to Etheregen.

Or itā€™s just what you said: LC to LC fiber will be fine.

OM1 fibre with LC connectors is all you need.

Chrissu, are you sure that multi mode will work with Naim streamers? Because one member tried in the past multi mode with tp link, it was @obsydian, and it didnā€™t work ( with Nova).

Yes, itā€™s what I use between Catalyst switches, and it works perfectly.
There was an issue with some TP Link FMCs where people were trying to use GB models into the 100MB network port on a Naim streamer, which wouldnā€™t work. You needed a 100MB FMC. Perhaps that was the problem?

Hi,
I have a lot of experience on this exact configuration.
Since last November, I have been using the optical rendu with ER connected optically obviously, using the sotm SE clock all powered with Sean Jacobs dc3 feeding my EMM labs DA2 dac.
The results are excellent but I have been trying the sotm switch SE also sotm clock connected which I feel gives a slight edge to the ER being used with it. Also I have been trying it all directly against the EMM labs NS1 all feeding my EMM labs DA2 (ethernet connected designacable cat6a the NS1 connected optical to the dac with the bespoke emm labs optical connection) the NS1 beats the opticalrendu by a small amount when connected directly to the sotm se switch.
I, now, have the opportunity to try the sotm sms200 neo SE (again conncted by ethernet) against the opticalrendu. All these comparisons can by compared directly without getting up, just by switching dac input. So I can forward my findings there if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the Giga versions as @ChrisSU mentions donā€™t work (I had the problem)

1 Like

Ah ok, so now all seems clear. Thanks. @JimDog has all the informations now , to try with ER and Cisco.
If it uplifts sound quality, I will try also.
:+1:

Yes, very interesting. It will surely interests more too.
I didnā€™t know you were using EMlabs Dac and streamer.
Is it recently bought, or tested?

Hi frenchrooster.
Yes, I have had various units for about 5 years, these since they were released.

1 Like

That was a plug-in optical module that worked in the ER but not recognized by Cisco and would not work. Solved by buying a ā€˜ciscoā€™ branded module for the Cisco switch - then it all worked!

ā€¦then I decided I did not like the end result compared to using a wired Ethernet connection - so do not use it - but good to try it.

DB.

2 Likes

Can you say in few words what you didnā€™t liked in Cisco to ER using fiber?
You must be the only one to have tried here.