Can I add some second hand -best use of cash

Hi knowledgeable folk,

I play vinyl via my LP 12, sondek with karousel bearing, core, Krane, koil combo via a lingo 4 power supply and uphorik phono and I am looking to upgrade my amplification I have a plan to upgrade my supernait to the 332 series pre amp with either a 250 (Most likely _due to cost) or 350 pair to drive my B and W 804 s3.

I wanted to pull on your expertise to see if I could add a second hand power supply to make a difference and which one and is the jump from 250 to 350 big enough to justify getting a loan lol.

I listen to soul and folk/rock at lower volumes as have kids
R

1 Like

You could add a hicap to the supernait, but that would not be compatible with any of the newest Naim kit.
332 doesn’t need a separate power supply, but you can go “full fat” with the npx300.

You could of course just add a power amp to the supernait, and use it as a preamp. The B&Ws always like lots of power. A 250 will drive most speakers, although the 350s would be probs a bit better. Could go s/h with a 250 or 135s.

When you’re ready you could trade the supernait against a 332.

The only power supply for the 332 is the NPX300. Received wisdom seems to be that the 350s are a big step up from the 250; there are lots of comments on here that you can find using the search.

1 Like

I don’t quite follow the question, are you asking what second hand power supplies should you consider for your SN? Or what second hand power supplies might match the New Classic amps you’re thinking of buying?

I can’t quite recall if the XPS 2 / XPS DR, with a matching compatibility lead, would power the NSC 332, otherwise it’s as others have stated, only the NPX300 will do, second hand examples might be around I guess!

The SN could be powered by a Flatcap, HiCap or SuperCap IIUC, listed in increasing price order! I think most, but not all, people who’ve added a PS to a SN have gone with the HiCap option.

No idea or experience to add, I was just curious whether you were asking about adding the PSU to your SN, or potential New Classic kit.

Me too… But I think your guess is fair.

The short answer is No. None of the ‘OC’ PS’s available used, will fit - other than the XPS. But that will need a special lead.

To remain cost effective, IMO, its best not to try to mic OC with NC.

IMO… but YMMV… :crazy_face:

And, of course, at just over twice the price, albeit for two mono blocks, so it should be!

ATB, J

There are many threads on this that are worth a read.

I too have B&W804D3s. An olive 250 made them work well, but a swap to 300 DR made a big difference.

Several people have commented that the new NC250 is close in performance to the older 300DR. At the listening session this week, Naim used a NC250 to power ÂŁ34k of huge Focal speakers and it worked well, so I can well believe that the NC250 is close to 300DR. I am sure 350s will be even better with your speakers, but the NC250 or 300DR may well be all the power amp they ever need.

The olive and Old Classic pre-amps and streamers all need a PS to be at their best/ work at all, and digital sources and preamps get different PSs - all benefit from a better PS. NC boxes have an internal PS but using a separate NC300PS or OC555PS is a big improvement.

Mixing different eras can often work well, but listening before buying is a good idea if you can and you need to get the cables right.

In your situation, I doubt that I would be satisfied for long by adding a Hicap to the SN3 (good upgrade though that is) or by adding a 250 of any era and using the SN3 as a preamp. Mind you, if picking between those 2, I’d definitely get a Hicap.

My suggestions for those speakers would be, in increasing SQ:-

1. Olive 82/ Hicap/ 250
  2. 282/HCDR/250DR
  3. NC-style 222/NC250
  4. Olive 52/SC/250
  5. Old Classic style 252/SCDR/250DR
  6. NC-style 222/300PS/ NC250
  7. NC-style 332/ 300PS/ NC250
  8. Olive 52 or OC 252/SC or SCDR/ 300DR (not earlier 300 power amp)
    9.Olive 52 or OC 252/ SC/ 500 (DR or not)
  9. 552/300DR
  10. 552/500

Many will say that 6, 7 and 8 are a bit different but comparable in SQ or that the above order is a bit wrong.

A smaller number, including me, marginally prefer option 1 to 2 and option 4 to 5, but that’s a minor presentation difference only.

Others may well argue that a 552/300DR (or perhaps even 552/250DR) is better than 52 or 252 with 500.

If you never use a streamer, then a 222 may not be the best VFM for you.

I would also spend money on taking the already excellent LP12 up a stage or 2 before I considered options 9, 10 and 11.

There are remarkable bargains to be found on eBay at the moment, helped by people switching to NC.

Also, your speakers are good enough to justify spending c.£20k on 4 second hand boxes, but that doesn’t mean you owe it to them or anyone to upgrade at all, or beyond a line drawn by you- your ears, preferences and budget will all matter more than any upgrade table.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for you guidance and advice re old and new which is great insight for me
Nick your knowledge is amazing and you have given me plenty to think about but also solid direction
Could I call on your knowledge on the LP12 up a notch comment as 2 what upgrades are needed for max SQ as I am considering this too which I understand come at a cost but with value for sound impact I’d be keen to hear your thoughts when you get a minute
Thanks again all what a solid group this Naim community are
Ronan

1 Like

There are lots of other relevant threats on this but imho…

I went from Kore to Keel and from Lingo 4 to Radikal, both with Ekos. In my case, the latter involved a full TA Stiletto, but I have heard the straight Linn versions many times over the years.

If you decide to go up a rung or two on amplification, I suspect that you will hear a good deal more from your excellent source. However, if I were aiming at about my level 4 above or beyond, I would find a s/h Ekos too. And I would jump to a Keel and a better cartridge before spending the extra for 500s if the LP12 were my key or only source.

Otoh, there are places you can go where you can hear some options for yourself rather than read my verbiage - where are you based?

Morning Nick,
Again, I appreciate your support

I was thinking Keel and a tone arm cartridge upgrade and will have a look at second hand Ekos as suggested on that one.
Was thinking Arko Kendo but will think again

I’m in mid Kent - have a good Sunday and thanks again

Ronan

If it would help to hear multiple LP12 options (new and sometimes not new) then a day trip all the way to Cymbiosis in Leicestershire might well be worthwhile.

Good luck!