Can I use a 220V CD player in the U.K.?

Hi guys,

I’m looking to finally put a statement that I’ve been hearing for a long time to the test, that a CD player as a transport to my DAC will outperform my music running from laptop to DDC then onto the DAC.

I’ve managed to source a CD player that I really like but it’s a 220V version. Is this Ok to use in the U.K.?

if it will require modification where can I get this done?

UK mains is maintained around 240V. Most players intended for European use is stated as being for 220-240V to cover most eventualities and are not too fussy about a few Volts variation here and there.

Unless you know that the player is strictly 220V only with no leeway (which is unheard of, IME), it should be fine. If you look or enquire more closely, though, I suspect you’ll find it’s a 220-240V model,

You could usefully tell us exactly what make and model player it is - then we might be able to help more.

Mark

2 Likes

EU voltage was ‘harmonised’ some time ago.
Nothing changed except to set voltage tolerances over all of EU to be ‘harmonised’ at 230 volts, with an EU wide minimum of 216 volts & maximum of 253 volts.
UK voltage remained at the same 240 volts average & the rest of Europe remained at 220v, but nothing actually changed other than items like transformers has to be spec’d to cover the 216 to 253 range.

You are OK to run your 220 volt CD player anywhere in Europe remembering UK is still in Europe

2 Likes

Thanks Mike-B was typing the same when your post arrived! Cheers

1 Like

Thanks Mike. That’s very helpful. To answer the previous question it’s a vintage Micro Seiki CDP.

Actually would that mean that a vintage 1988 CD player would not be compatible? When did this change take place?

I did a search on Google and found this response.

When did the UK change from 240V to 230V?

UK Government agreed to harmonization at 230V on 9th March 1993.

So I’m still confused as to whether a Cd player manufactured in 1988 would be compatible?

1 Like

No problem at all. Nothing changed with the harmonisation. That’s the point.

1 Like

Yes but according to Mike, manufacturers ensured the transformers can accommodate a wider range of voltage 216 to 253V AFTER the harmonisation in 1993.

Surely that would mean a CDP manufactured in 1988 is not made that way therefore it may not be compatible.

The difference in voltage is trivial. It’s fine.

Anyway the point is that nothing changed in the UK. The mains voltage remained the same.

1 Like

I would not recommend using a 220V device in the UK.

If well designed, it may have a tolerance of +/- 10%, so that’s 242V max.

UK supply voltage exceeds that in many areas, for example it stays at around 247V at my house.

Running anything at the limit of its operating tolerance is never a good idea.

If you want to use this CD player the use of a bucking transformer would be a good idea.

The so called ‘harmonisation’ took place in 2003, but to repeat my post, nothing actually changed.
All it meant was components had to cover the complete EU wide voltage range between 216v & 253v.
I expect your CD player 220v transformer has a wide similar operating spec & will be quite happy with 240v.
However, you have not actually reported what your local voltage actually is, it might be worth checking & if it’s 230-something, even better.

I haven’t been able to ascertain the voltage in my house. The digital meter isn’t showing a read out of the voltage. I would need to get a multimeter to find out

If you are the sort of person that worries about things, don’t use your ‘220V’ CD player.
As others have said, in all probability it will be fine. But - it is your choice… :thinking:

Do you know when the CD player in question was first made…? Pre or post 2003…?
If it was post 2003, then all is cool… :sunglasses:

Alternatively, what does the labelling say on the back of the unit - does it give a Voltage range perhaps…?

I haven’t bought the CD player as of yet. I’ve been told it’s 220V. year of manufacture is 1988 so that’s long before the harmonisation thus the transformer in this unit was perhaps specified to handle around 220v.

What Simon has said does make sense that one shouldn’t operate a device beyond its maximum voltage handling capability.

I guess I can simplify the question- would a device built in 1988 spec 220v be able to handle +10% voltage?

Ask the manufacture, if you want to be sure.

Otherwise, do not buy it. You are already worrying too much.

1 Like

Is it the Micro Seiki CD-M2? According to a quick search, this is essentially a Marantz C94 from the same time, with some changes and a different casing, and the manual for the C94 says 220-240 V:

In any case, you will be fine just like everyone has said

1 Like

It’s probably more important not to go below 220v than not go above it.

As the mains voltage at the primary windings drops, the voltage the secondary winding provide to the voltage regulators will drop. The voltage regulators Naim use (for example), require a supply voltage 3v above the output voltage. So if low mains voltage causes the difference to be below 3v, the regulator won’t work optimally.

If the voltage at the regulator is increased, the output of the regulator will not change, all the circuitry will be working at the correct voltage. Although the regulators will be working a little bit harder, because it is dropping more voltage.

1 Like

That’s very helpful, Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.