Cancelling Subscription Services

Yes. But I find the realtime traffic information on BMW’s satnav is pretty good and it also integrates well with the head up display. Whereas to look at a phone I would need to take my eyes off the road.

I think it does, I mostly buy from Amazon Marketplace and think a few purchases a month save me money. I have found a few independent record shops on there that post for free via Prime. I tend to use it as an alternative to eBay, starting after a friend with a business said how good it was for her to be able to sell through the marketplace.

Always remember
“Keep your eyes on the road
Your hand upon the wheel” The Doors, or Status Quo perhaps

1 Like

I used to buy from Amazon a lot, often my first port of call searching, but in recent years having learnt more about them I try to find things elsewhere, and now that eBay is primarily a shopfront rather than auction house I look there first and only check Amazon last. Mostly when I do buy from Amazon delivery has been free or trivial, so in any case the primary savings if I were to subscribe to Prime would be if they did a significant Prime-only discount on something I wanted - and I only recall once seeing such, though if I shopped more with them I suppose there’d be more.

Ah sat nav - that is one subscription I had forgotten about. I do subscribe to TomTom, for the campervan hen abroad. When we first had the van I set up Google Maps on my phone, though with data roaming so expensive didn’t use it live, but that wasn’t an issue. However maintaining the necessary GPS link proved challenging, and all too often it would stop tracking for a while - and it was surprising how often that happened as we approached a tricky/complex place to negotiate: the very places where a satnav is most needed, especially in a foreign country! We chose TomTom because they have a motorhome & caravan specific model, which can be programmed with vehicle dimensions and weight, and if towing the details of that, to avoid impassable routes, and it seemed to make sense to subscribe to keep it up-to-date.

We position it in a place where driver can see with just a quick left dip of the eyes, but also where passenger can see and add guidance based on the screen view when the driver can’t spare that momentary glance, as when negotiating a complex junction.

1 Like

I use Prime with the knowledge that will be delivered within a three hourl window of hoportunity .

Locally,Royal Mail need a three day projection on a 48 hour delivery and then get it wrong. Other areas seem better served.

2 Likes

This is why I use it to buy from independent traders via the Marketplace, I agree Amazon like many large corporations is far from perfect. I used to use eBay more but changed due to so many unsatisfactory experiences and eBay is another large corporation.

No subscription services here at all. TV Licence only monthly payment.
All CD’s on a Hard Drive about 5000 of them and still play the CD player.
3000 records played on my Linn LP12
Enough music to last a lifetime.
DVD / Blu-Ray films 2000 enough to last a lifetime as well
Books to read
Dogs to walk
I did have a music streaming service once but found that I ended up playing the music I already have. Madness.
Enjoy what you have, most new music is crap anyway.

5 Likes

I look forward to the day I can cancel my BBC “subscription”.

8 Likes

Tax! Its like having to pay Vauxhall to drive a Ford.

1 Like

See above. What is stopping you.

Live TV I suspect.

Many elderly think that the tv licence is still free upon reaching 75 ?

Gone. Unless you need help with your state pension.

Worth it maybe if you have a 3hr service and something is urgent - most things I buy it really doesn’t matter if next day, 2 days , a week…

I never understood why well-heeled pensioners got a free TV license whilst families on benefits didn’t. I fully support the TV licence and think it is a bargain for what you get, unlike most subscription services.

3 Likes

The UK’s not the only country to have it. And it’s at the cheaper end of the scale.

But the concept in general rubs me the wrong way. For example, in Japan there is civil code that states something like, a contract is binding when a party under no obligation freely agrees to enter into the contract. And then the law relating to the NHK televisions license blatently contradicts that by saying, all residents with the means to receive NHK content shall enter into a binding contract with NHK…

It’s effectively a coerced subscription. And like the BBC, the way out is pretty extreme. I just consider the TV license as a tax for being the head of a household :joy:

I agree absolutely - we’ve found exactly the same. I can remember when we had only three channels and we got on just fine!

I would never subscribe to a music streaming service and we own probably around 300 CD’s between us at the most. That’s plenty to listen to for us. I can’t see any point in owning so much stuff that there’s really never going to be time to listen to most of it!

Same wth DVD’s and Blu rays. We’ve taken most of them to charity shops. How many times can one watch the same thing and still be entertained by it?

2 Likes

In Finland there has not been any licensing system in place for years but instead a special tax is collected to fund the public broadcasting company. Even companies are liable for this. The amount for private persons varies 0-163€ per year depending on taxable income. For companies the maximum payment is 3k€ per year.

They also charge via annual subscription for real-time traffic updates. Though it’s free with Waze and Google maps!

1 Like

Or free bus passes.