Car insurance 🙁

I used to use them for my landrovers. They were very good but one year their prices suddenly went bonkers. I phoned them up and they were full of apologies but said it was outside their control. A shame really 'cause I liked the company. Perhaps I’ll try them again.

Just found out I need to phone them for a quote… sort of puts me off.

1 Like

Depends what you are insuring car wise . I have used a broker for the last 6 years for my 911 and I pay more so it can go to an approved dealer . I once had an X5 that was pranged and the local big garage repaired it and bodged it . 18 months later the electrics on the stereo failed cos the bodged the repair and water got in to the car . Cost 2.5 k to repair Interestingly the same insurance company for my 911 won’t insure my new second hand Range Rover . They won’t insure them due to risk of theft ? All
Bonkers . And if you drive a colony vehicle and have had a prang in it in the last 5 years , that does help .

1 Like

Company vehicle …

Just cancelled with direct line, they wouldn’t match a cheaper quote from LV

1 Like

Been with LV a few years, as long as you play the phone game they seem ok.

After a bit of buggering about i managed to get a price of £400 via Tesco, which my present insurer couldn’t match. A look around a few car forums seem to show a general rise in insurance for performance hatches so all in all it’s not too bad for another year of fun motoring.

400 GBP whats the term? week month year??

I’m in the US. Two new cars 2021, and a 2018. I pay $200. a month for both cars. Full collision, comprehensive, liability, fire, theft etc Deductible is $250. Per car.

I don’t think it would be £400 a week, at £20800 not exactly a bargain :joy:

I wish you happy days motoring @james_n but I have a feeling that Tesco will also bump up your premium next year. One caveat to consider is that not all premiums are the same and careful reading of the small print is essential to ensure that you receive the same coverage. From my experience, an insurer is able to offer a competitive rate but it requires some astuteness on our behalf. Playing the game is part of the repertoire: politely asking if there is more that they can offer (since you’re a ‘loyal’ customer) may surprise you with the strings that they can pull :wink:

1 Like

Well in NJ (particularly within an hours drive of Manhattan) I would expect rates to be higher. I pay $66.40 a month for full coverage on a 2012 Mazda 3, with a $500 deductible.

The premium is as much or more a function of number of drivers in the household who use the cars. When for a couple of years I had 2 cars, but was the only driver, the second car was literally like $15 a month more than insuring one, because the premise is I can only drive one at a time, and there was nobody else in the house.

Does anyone know prices on the EU continent? Italy specifically?

No way! I live in NJ I pay $98. a month X 2 for my car and Mrs. Opus. Full coverage with $250. Deductibles. I’m going to have to do some negotiation with my Ins company. I’m in the Princeton area.

Thanks - yes I’m sure it’ll be the same game again next year. Savings to be made, but such a waste of time. If only they’d reward loyalty!

1 Like

I thought there were new rules coming to ensure they offered loyal customers the same deal as new ones. While the price for new ones would rise at least it would remove the ridiculous dance everyone has to go through if they want to keep prices competitive.

Ah yes, you’re right Nigel. It’ll be interesting to see how that will pan out.

I think the changes to the insurance rules come in early next year. In my opinion, long overdue! I get fed up of having to fight each time to get the best deal. I don’t suppose the levelling up of pricing will mean a drop in renewal premiums though!

Yes there are, I wish all industries were compelled to do the same, shopping around all the time is a PITA.

At the moment some companies are heavily discounting hoping to reel new customers in while they can. There will be a shock at renewal though as prices will rise as will new business prices in the future as the first year prices are not sustainable.

Let’s see how Aviva do when my car insurance and home insurance come up later in the year. The whole ringing round thing is such as waste of time. We hear cases of older vulnerable people who have been loyal for decades paying say £2,000. As soon as one of their children, or a friend, gets an alternative new quote it’s - surprise, surprise - only £200. It’s a total disgrace.

2 Likes

On a different note, this thread reminds me of the rigmarole of having to shop around for electricity suppliers (almost annually). Wishing you a lovely day :relaxed:

1 Like

Ended up renewing mine with Tesco too…£80 cheaper than Direct Line who couldn’t better their offer for what seems like the same insurance. Fully expect to have to phone around and move again next year :unamused:

So the young lad at work is pricing up insurance for his next car and it’s over three hundred quid A MONTH!!! That’s for a ford something… I don’t know what it is but it’s red so I’m thinking that must make the insurance higher. Of course, what doesn’t help, is having his insurance refused for breaking the speed limit when he had a black box fitted, and then two speeding tickets in his second year of driving after the box was removed!