Car insurance šŸ™

If you intend to claim new for old then you will need cover otherwise they simply wouldnā€™t pay out for whichever item you were claiming on.

I stated the items where I would want ā€˜newā€™ i.e. speakers, LP12. Other kit like CB250 Iā€™d want replacement and not a 250DR.

You donā€™t have to have new, I donā€™t want ā€˜new for oldā€™ for my 18th century long case clock! :grin:

2 Likes

You need to be entirely transparent with the insuranceco in matters like this, otherwise you (potentially) risk a bun-fight with a loss-adjuster around a % mark-down on your claim (ā€˜averaging downā€™ is one term Iā€™ve heard used) if you have ā€˜under-insuredā€™, at worst a material bun-fight over the basis of the claim itself.

Keep notes of the calls (with timings et al) when these matters were discussed.

1 Like

This is absolutely correct. Donā€™t try to save a few quid by under insuring. If you have any doubts about cover ask the insurance company and note the time and date you spoke to them. Most insurers record their telephone calls.

1 Like

Weird.

The Saga agent said that hifi and AV kit does not count as valuables and therefore the Ā£2.5k item limit does not apply to it.

I mentioned the price of a new 555DR PS and he did not even baulk at that!?

He even said that if one item in a ā€˜setā€™ is claimed for and they cannot buy a new one that matches the set, they will replace the whole set.

He even said that this applies to hifi systems!

Could that be mere salesman talk?

He also did me a fixed price for 3 years.

And it only took 15 mins.

3 Likes

That has always been my understanding (I have an insurance background). This was confirmed by my current insurer. It is essential to ensure you allow for a sufficient new for old figure for hifi and other household items provided of course you have a ā€˜new for oldā€™ policy. Your comment about one item in a set is not salesman talk. This is quite a common clause. Particularly relevant to a suite of furniture or a bathroom suite for example.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s how it was for me. I told them too but they donā€™t count them as ā€˜valuablesā€™ in the same was as a diamond ring or Rolex watch. The important thing though is youā€™ve advised them.
:+1:
Other insurance companies may be different so itā€™s always best to declare and let them decide how to proceed.

1 Like

Oddly (been with direct line for ages),in recent years when Iā€™ve phoned to renew they always offer a better deal if Iā€™m a bit cagey about renewal, something they never used to do.

I really thinks itā€™s luck sometimes and who you talk to.

I suspect if you cancelled and then rang up as a ā€˜new customerā€™ theyā€™d offer a good deal - new business and retention are different teams I think.

For those with several expensive guitars (and of course, this is in the states, not sure how it works in the UK or elsewhere), the ā€œoff-siteā€ coverage for such items in most standard homeowners policies is awful. So if I gig or bring a few guitars to a friendā€™s and something happens en route or while there, it can be pretty limiting. I insure my guitars separately with an outfit that specializes in insurance for musical instruments.

I donā€™t think the ā€˜setā€™ aspect really applies to Naim kit - if so, Iā€™m tagging mine as a Statement :wink:

But, as youā€™ve highlighted, the lexicon and detailing of insurance matters isnā€™t always 100% clear to the layman, especially what is defined as ā€˜valuablesā€™ (I tend to look upon this term as items with higher intrinsic value which are easy to transport - the obvious being jewellery and watches). Hi-Fi it seems to many insurancecoā€™s is now general contents BUT can be affected by item limits within this ā€“ and this I always discuss at length when arranging cover.

I changed from Direct Line a while back as their general contents cover was very expensive when compared to others - obviously not helped by the replacement value of Naim kit/vinyl/CD collection etc,.

@Alley_Cat - Iā€™d encourage you to explore > DIrect Line, perhaps Aviva. I always used to have ā€˜negotiationsā€™ with DL (comparing them to Hiscox/others) but the landscape appears to have changed now as regards (pure) contents cover. Of course, YMMV.

1 Like

The thing I have always hated about any insurance is that it essentially boils down to it being a bet against yourselfā€¦

1 Like

A tricky moral question thenā€¦if, like myself, you rip all your cdā€™s and then consign them to a storage box. Then your cdā€™s are stolen but because the ripped music is all backed up you restore that easily enough with zero expense. However, whether you claim for the cdā€™s or not, do you rush out and replace them? Is there a copyright issue here?

I think this has been answered on here before(?), in that if you own the CD, you then have the right to rip-it for personal use, as you have paid for that copyright. The fact that the CD is the secondary back-up really isnā€™t salient IMV - if both drives failed, then youā€™d need to re-buy that copyright via another purchase?

Put another way, if you had stored music files and tried to raise a claim for loss without evidence of purchase of the copyright (the CDs/suitable subs to Tidal et al), then this would be declined. Of course, the secondary-market purchasing of CDs makes things far murkier!

Re your car (Audi IIRC), just so I understand, is it that the case that notwithstanding the interior screen(s?) and usual engine warning lights within the instrumentation (if these still exist?), the need for oil/additive was only flagged on the app on the 'phone?

I suppose what Iā€™m saying is thereā€™s the temptation to take the insurance money and NOT replace the cdā€™s.

The carā€¦ after I discovered the oil needed checking via the app (which was purely by chance since itā€™s only the second time Iā€™ve even played with it in the x months of ownership) I then went and checked the manual to find out what to do and found out thereā€™s a menu item to check this on the touch screen. However only the oil. Adblue checking is only (as far as Iā€™ve discovered) via the app. No warning lights on the dash for anything BUT I did get a startup screen message to put some more adblue in when it got down to 1000 miles in the tank which, by the time I actually got around to the adblue fill up, it was saying 600 miles.

I had the same conversation with Saga. Made sure they understood that each item was expensive and above their lower valuable limit.
One of the cheapest quotes too.

1 Like

I have had similar conversations with Saga 2-3 times in recent years. This concerned both HiFi and photographic equipment. In the past I have had to supply individual valuations, serial numbers, etc for each individual item over a certain threshold value. None of this is required now and, like you, I have been assured that all is properly covered. I guess the ultimate test will come if ever I had to make a claim.

1 Like

Take 'photos of everything and store these securely as evidence - and keep notes with timings of the various calls. And be very careful to differentiate what could be construed as for ā€˜business useā€™, as this requires very different cover.

It seems many insurers nowadays specify blanket-cover arrangements, and donā€™t drill down on items like they used to.

10Yā€™s ago, a friend used a lap-top for home (primarily) and also work (in the days of Powerpoint presentations). It was stolen from home and the loss-adjuster disqualified the claim on the basis of ā€˜business useā€™. It took a forceful letter pointing out that MSā€™s PP package was widely installed on domestic/personal PCs, the lap-top was personally owned (ran only personal programmes) etc, for the insuranceco to relent.

1 Like

Loss adjusters are utter scumbags in my experience - we were burgled while at home sleeping many years ago, and dealing with these people who seem to want to discredit you and your claim despite being with the insurer for over a decade (and a first claim) was extremely stressful, especially as we had a close family bereavement around this time.

As for motor insurance, I have to say Direct Line were brilliant many years ago when Mrs ACs parked car was hit by a driver who failed to leave details during a snowy patch, and later when a faulty upturned manhole cover on a country backroad bend vaulted and wrote off my car - the only annoyance was it was deemed my fault as they couldnā€™t identify who was responsible for the dangerous manhole cover.

Did the loss adjuster industry simply develop as theer are so many fraudulent claims? If I needed to claim again I would pay for a company to handle it for me to counter the loss adjusters and their methods.

No, it isnā€™t that weird, valuables are carefully defined . Watches, cameras , lenses works of art, jewellery, guns furs etc are classed as valuables

If it isnā€™t defined as a valuable it isnā€™t a valuable. It pays to download the policy before you buy .

Whilst I may be lacking a few receipts (hopefully Audio T have back ups ) I have the boxes and the photos for System Pics

I may have problems qualifying the replacement for my NAT 03, my CDX2 I think would be replaced by a NDX2

A friend of ourā€™s had a bad experience. Her car was hit by another car which was unexpectedly out of control and veered across the road at speed. Her car was a write off. Fortunately she wasnā€™t hurt.

Eventually the medical evidence was that the driver of the other car had had a cardiac arrest and was unconscious by the time the accident took place. He died thereafter. The insurance companies agreed that it couldnā€™t be his fault because he was unconscious, so the claim was settled on a no fault basis, where both insurance companies paid their own customerā€™s costs. Our friendā€™s no claim bonus was adversely affected accordingly.

1 Like

Gosh not heard of that insurance wriggleā€¦ā€¦i guess would need a court case to rule on it, and then much more expensive for the loser?