Caroline

Just playing one of my favorite tracks and got me thinking why is (was) Caroline such a popular name in songs. The three syllables meter nicely, or the ‘line’ at the end can be drawn out, or were Caroline’s such lovely girls they had to have a song written for them, very popular in the 60’s but you don’t see many about nowadays.

Caroline Goodbye - Colin Blunstone - my favourite (about Caroline Munro)
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond is an obvious.
Caroline, No - The Beach Boys
Caroline Says II - Lou Reed
O Caroline - Matching Mole (about Caroline Coon)
Caroline - Fleetwood Mac
Caroline - Status Quo
Goodbye Caroline - Aimee Mann

1 Like

Caroline’s Fingers by Cocteau Twins?

1 Like

I had a similar chat with some friends a few weeks ago. We are all close to, or just past retirement age, and when we were born we were given fairly common and popular forenames. Most of these names now do not register anywhere near the top of the current lists.

(I think the three syllables of Caroline work well generally.)

The attached suggests that boys names have swung back to be historically more traditional but girls names have not.

1 Like

Didn’t that start as Carol I know?

1 Like

IMG_2063

Apparently named after one of John F. Kennedy’s daughters.

Used to be able to see vessel from my flat window.

3 Likes

Seems Brian Wilson misheard the lyric by Tony Asher.

1 Like

Bringing this back round to @AndyP, as a teenager in the 70’s I used to stay with my uncle in Margate and me and my brother would always go to the Radio Caroline Roadshow. By then it was a bit of a greasy biker fest so we would wear our badge covered denim jackets. I do remember the sheer euphoria of hearing OMD’s Electricity at one of these roadshows

2 Likes

A really great radio station - until the Government decided that we shouldn’t listen to such things.

3 Likes

cf. Does Caroline Know by Talk Talk.

3 Likes

Caroline by the fortunes, used as a jingle on radio Caroline :ferry:

2 Likes

Oh Caroline by The 1975 is quite decent imo and the metre suits their jaunty, feel good type of presentation.

A rather underrated band too I feel…

In fact I’m going to play their live album now. The sound of 5,000 New York youngsters in mass hysteria is good for the soul…

1 Like

Plus psychedelic furs “pretty in pink”.
And the very same Caroline in depeche mode “Caroline’s monkey” - has to be the same Caroline courtesy of Richard Butler - or maybe he just likes the name.

1 Like

There are many more of these, if you keyword search Apple Music. Some are duplicates, and some are probably covers, but wow!

And, yes, if someone is curious, I was playing the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas album for my daughter when I snapped those pictures!!

Caroline etymology is “free” … so people use it rather free…ly it seems.

You do not have to hide behind people that were not there :slight_smile: We all have our little weirdnesses with music.

1 Like

:heart:

1 Like

Oh, I’m not saying that they don’t make me laugh, and I loved them when I was a kid, but as an adult you can only hear those squeaky voices for a few minutes before you are ready to jump out the window to make it stop! :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Getting old and grumpy now? :slight_smile: Shame it happens to us all eventually I suppose … we will still love you in the end though … maybe :slight_smile:

Surprised nobody has mentioned this fine song from this fine album.