Casting from iphone

The iPhone/USB cable connection was originally designed to work with iTunes, which became Apple Music. The multitude of other apps that subsequently emerged don’t always play consistently. What usually works is to play something from Apple Music first, then open the app you want and play that.

1 Like

Ok for now I just use the app, when I can’t find a podcast I’ll just use induction headphones (I don’t like putting things over or in my ears).

Could you run an optical cable from your TV or MM to one of your streamers?

I’m not sure whether you meant Naim streamer upgrade.

One alternate, cheaper, is since you have iphone and are in apple universe, purchase apple tv box and since the latest don’t have audio out, use a < thirty quid digital audio extractor and connect this optically to any of your streamers. Two boxes, but both are tiny.
This would certainly work because that is how I connect sound to Superuniti from apple tv.
You could purchase an older apple tv box - uncertain if the older units did or didn’t have a separate sound output.
Checked - BBC Sounds airplays live radio via Apple tv box - didn’t have the chance to check podcasts, but no reason not.
Hope that helps

Pic of the units

1 Like

Use of a device such as Douk Audio U2 Pro will allow conversion of USB (from your iDevice) to Optical or SPDIF output which can then feed into one of your Naim Boxes.

Might help - forget if not any use.

1 Like

I can cast to my tv and then thru’ the NDS. I just did not want to turn the tv on. I must try it with multiroom.

Oh that’s an idea as I have two Apple TV boxes. I must check the old box.

Seems it was Apple tv 4 gen that dropped optic out feature.
If you have 3 gen or earlier, likely you have the optic out available, without the convertor I highlighted.
One worthy note I picked up on a different forum, was that it is possible tvOS17 installed on an older gen Apple tv box, does not support optic.
No way of verifying the accuracy of that, but if you have pre 4 gen box, perhaps turn off auto updates, because as you likely know, it not be possible to unistal a later OS.
Hope that helps.

Discovered this morning that my TV supports cromecast. Now I can listen to my podcasts, even though the tv is on … sort of. But why does chromecast become available before airplay?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.