CD...bit of a revelation

If they are not complete idiots, and I doubt they are, they will have seen their own sales numbers, calculated their revenues, costs, and profits, and made their decision accordingly.

1 Like

As you are well aware, not everything is about numbers. People who rely on them have unpleasant surprises.

1 Like

There are areas of life where it’s not. Company sales and profits, however …

(All of Naim’s customers are not represented in the forum posts, either)

2 Likes

11/10

1 Like

I wonder if they have considered a transport?

For those with good dacs, standalone or in our streamers, there is a market. Whether it is significant enough…no idea. But I bought one. And if audiolab can create something that good at the pricepoint then Naim could I’m sure at a higher price point deliver something special, that I would have been happy to pay.

3 Likes

I have no insight into that :slight_smile: I am just taking it on face value that they stopped with the CDPs and am assuming it’s not because CDP customers had kicked in their doors with bags full of money :wink:

There are also so many other things to consider, like space on the factory floor, whether you really want your chief engineers having to split their time been streamers and CDPs, how many CD engineers are available on the job market, and so on.

I have no insight into that either, I’m just not convinced that random forum members know better what they should have done than Naim itself

2 Likes

I would say changing the output from a CD5SI to offer a digital output would be a quick and little cost option.

Naim have been caught on the back foot before , my Nait 3 had a phono stage, Naim removed it and didn’t install it on Nait models until long after the vinyl revival was in full swing

In fact the entire budget/bottom end of the range could do with a modest tweak . It’s where I started my thirty year journey

2 Likes

Some European brands keep on producing and ameliorating CD players, even at 20/30 k and more. Those are Gryphon, Metronome, Ayon , MBL and Burmester. Apart Gryphon, they make dacs and streamers too. Maybe they sell principally to China ? Or maybe they are bigger than Naim, with more engineers and high end tools? I don’t know.

1 Like

Maybe, but how many forum users are expressing their love for CD and don’t have a Star, Core, CDS3, CDX2, CD555? Although we are not representative, I still don’t think the numbers we are seeing are sufficient for being so sure. Anyone can be on the backfoot, sure. I just disagree with being so sure about it. The public numbers I have seen for CD sales are not telling any story of a resurgence comparable to vinyl, in any case. (And it does not surprise me in the least)

2 Likes

Indeed, but have you tried to find a (good) CD player in the same price range as the CDX2? Hegel have stopped making them, Sugden have too - it would appear there’s only Rega left. The alternative is to get a transport/dac (Pro-Ject, Cyrus).

2 Likes

And Exposure😊

2 Likes

The Cdx2 was my favourite of all cd players I could listen too, even vs much more expensive. With an XPS.
I can’t see anyone of other brands that can be so involving. Apart the DCS Puccini I once heard.
What I wanted to say above is that some other European brands continue to invest in high end CD players, in a period where streamers and turntables are the most sold .

1 Like

I managed to get my CDX2 serviced and upgraded to a digital output.
It sounds fantastic through my Nova , there are very few CD players made by UK manufacturers to the high end, it would have to be Luxman , Marantz /Denon .

My dealer tells me he has sold several Audiolab 6000 CDT to people with high end Naim systems - a shame they can’t buy a simple Naim product.

There are millions and millions of shiny discs out there

2 Likes

And Creek

And I guess perhaps Audio Research, Marantz, Quad, Roksan, Nad, Musical Fidelity, Technics, Yamaha, Cambridge Audio over a few price bands…

2 Likes

Just had a mental count and I have 8 CD Players, thing is they all have a unique purpose so to speak. I suppose I am a fan of the medium, still regularly buy CD’s…

3 Likes

In the same price range as the CDX2? Which, I’ll grant you, doesn’t necessarily mean the same quality…

Marantz, Denon, Luxman are not uk manufacturers. Or I misunderstood your post.

1 Like

Really? They missed almost the entire vinyl renaissance and have made other mistakes as well. Nobody’s perfect but the idea that Naim knows better than their customers just doesn’t hold water.

2 Likes

My point is that these are not UK manufacturers but when you start looking at the price point where serious players exist , I think only Leema has offerings , the Japanese market is (I understand ) not so streaming orientated -and they still have serious offerings .

In a market where many consumers have decent quality DACs in their streamers , do you need a CD player or CD transport

1 Like

I was always impressed with my own CDX2, combined with the NDAC and the XPS2. The Audionet Planck is also an impressive CD player.