CD...bit of a revelation

This makes the greatest sense. It is the lack of options on the CD5i that makes it frustrating.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with you there, last week my Arcam CD player finally stopped working. It was on the cards, its being playing up for some time.

I want a new CD player, Iā€™ve looked at the Naim CD5si but as you say lack of options.
I have to save for it, so gives me time to think about it.

1 Like

Maybe a lightly used CD5XS Dashing

I have one - by itself is good. I then added the nDAC and that was a big jump in performance. Then added the XPS-2 for a bit more grunt you might say

Itā€™s a great CDP with upgrade options , you can go onto web and just type in naim audio CD5XS and the naim page will come up giving detail and upgrades etc

It was discontinued I think in 2018. Might be difficult to get hands on a later one though , donā€™t see them advertised too often

Just a thought

Cheers

1 Like

Hi Bevo,
Thank you for your input. Iā€™ve read a few posts on the forum about Naim CD players and Iā€™m concerned about the lack of replacement CD transports. The CD5si is still being manufactured, so replacement transports will be still available.

Having said that, my Arcam CD player lasted 20+ years before failing. I feel that Iā€™ve had my monies worth.
It also had digital outs, which I never ever used, do I in fact need digital outs, I ask myself?
Maybe, because my attitude to my HiFi has changed over the past two years, Iā€™m getting deeper into it.
I have time to think.
Regards

Iā€™m following this thread with great interest. My main source is vinyl which I adore but confess I still have a very large CD collection and do find the convenience CD appealing.
My CD player is a Linn Genki which despite being around 20 years old, continues to give excellent and reliable service but Iā€™m beginning to wonder if I can get more from it by adding either an NDAC or Chord Qutest.
I do subscribe to the source first theory and although my amp is ā€˜onlyā€™ a Nait XS2, which BTW I absolutely love but appreciate thereā€™s far nicer amplification in the Naim hierarchy, I wonder if the Nait would show off the benefits of an improved DAC.
Streaming is on the agenda but Iā€™m a little way from its introduction for now.

Slightly off centre for the current topic (I love CD), but if you were to add a DAC into the system and have a Mac/PC/Tablet, even a Phone, you have streaming ā€˜included for freeā€™. I was waiting for a Naim streamer last year, got frustrated and added a Qutest. Connected to an old Mac laptop, this is now my main ā€˜streamerā€™. One day Iā€™ll afford an NDX2, but for now Iā€™m very content.

1 Like

I did buy a CD5si.
It was a huge improvement on my old system and the simplicity of it means I donā€™t get caught up in what can I change?
Makes listening to the music easier somehow as Iā€™m not wondering if I can improve it.
If it ever dies then perhaps I would be looking at things differently.

2 Likes

ā€œand the simplicity of it means I donā€™t get caught up in what can I change?ā€

Yes, I understand that and thatā€™s what I think. I keep browsing the auction site though to look at Naim preowned DACs etc. doing my research.
I havenā€™t come to a decision yet, LPs are my preferred source but I still buy CDs and enjoy playing them. Well I did till the player went pear shaped. Not been able to play the last two I bought.

Thatā€™s a good point OldNait and could be a win win using the qutest from a laptop and also the Genkiā€¦ hmmmā€¦.

1 Like

Not sure of your laptop, but the old Macs have toslink (optical) out in the headphone socket. That + Qutest and Aurdirvana (software) is sensational. Perhaps Iā€™m jumping ahead hereā€¦

Itā€™s good that you are taking the time to think about this Dashing, a few CDP options out there for you

If youā€™re worried about Naim CDPā€™s not lasting, you could contact Naim direct and see what the situation is on replacement items such as lasers etc if anything went wrong

You might be pleasantly surprised.

Regards

Bevo

1 Like

Iā€™d be astonished if your NAIT wasnā€™t able to realise the benefits of a NDAC or Qutest over your Linn player. Plus the benefit of potentially opening up streaming possibilities.

Over recent months my XS3 had clearly shown changes/demos between turntables, Hugo DAC Vs ND5 XS2, and phono stage improvements over its inbuilt stage/Stageline N and a new Graham Slee. Even lavender Vs Superlumina from a ND5 XS2.

Give a demo a go, Iā€™m as certain as is sensible on the internet that youā€™ll notice :slight_smile:

ā€¦maybe I should clarify, this was more about the XSā€™s ability to differentiate, than any absolute improvement between the Linn and the DACs you mention. Though I would be surprised if they werenā€™t improvements to be heard by adding one or the other of them.

Thanks gthack, yes Iā€™ve been very impressed with the XS2 since the day I bought it, Iā€™m of the opinion it punches well above its weight.
Indeed I should try to arrange a demo, of the qutest at least, the ndac Iā€™d have to take a punt on if I went that way.
I love my vinyl and love the idea of the ease and amount of new music available via streaming but I also think thereā€™s plenty of life left in the CD format yet.
:+1::blush:

2 Likes

Naim UK full serviced my CDS3 in July 2018 including a new drive and laser block and Ebay sellers offer new blocks for Naim players.

Yes but there is if I understand correctly doubt as to their authenticity.

1 Like

It was serviceable then, but later during the pandemic there were no mechs at Naim and they could not replace them. Very recently they found some and the CDS3 and CDX2 are currently eligible for service with mech exchange again.

As Richard advised many times during the lack of mechs, the ones on eBay are of questionable quality and would likely be rejected by Naimā€™s quality checks.

2 Likes

I had my CDS 3 serviced by NAIM in 2013. The transport failed again in mid 2020 and I was told it could no longer be serviced. I went through the normal stages of grief, denial, anger and finally acceptance that there would never be another CD player equal to my beloved CDS 3, I added an NDX 2 to my system and thought ā€œwow, this is pretty good!ā€. But what happens if the internet goes down, Iā€™m stuck with no music. I started looking for a CD transport that I could run through the NDX 2. I found a transport made by Pro-Ject, the turntable folks. I run it through the NDX 2, and along with its optional power supply, is BETTER than my CDS 3. Itā€™s pretty amazing, thereā€™s a sense of immediacy that makes me look a the speakers and ask ā€œwhere did THAT come from?. So Iā€™m set for the inevitable internet outages.

3 Likes

Since you askā€¦(!)
With streaming from oneā€™s own store of music ripped from CD or vinyl, or downloaded:

• Potentially better sound quality through absence of read errors and associated error correction, and no annoying skips due to faulty or dirty disks.
  • Potentially better sound quality as one can download higher resolution recordings.
  • No misplaced CDs whether put in wrong place or wrong CD in the case.
  • Continuous play of music longer than 70 minutes - a particular benefit to opera lovers.
  • Easy browsing of oneā€™s collection, even while sitting listening, and selection of the next piece of music without getting up. (Some may regard the lack of getting up to be negative - but there is nothing to stop you getting up.)
  • Negligible storage space required in, or readily accessible from, the music room, with all oneā€™s music in a very small box - and a copy in another little box so that in event of disaster like fire the loss of all oneā€™s precious, even impossible to replace, music is unlikely. However if one wants to retain the CDs on shelves in the listening room to take out and browse the insert while playing there is absolutely nothing to stop that, simply the space saving benefit is negated.
  • If desired tracks can be deleted, track order rearranged, or ā€˜playlistsā€™ of particular music created.
    No negatives there.

For online streaming there are some differences, the positive one being a vast resource of music for very easy finding of new things to play, at a fraction of the cost of buying - perhaps a particular benefit to people not already having a good size collection. The negatives compared to playing from oneā€™s own store are: i) A requirement to pay a monthly subscription to be able to play music. ii) A poor internet connection, or very limited bandwidth, can affect playing - this cancels the second bullet above. iii) Changes to catalogues and licences can make music disappear, whether just moved somewhere else or deleted - this cancels the third bullet above.

Many people combine both types of streaming.

However, setting up streaming in the first place, whether from oneā€™s own store or online, is more complicated and takes more effort than simply buying a box and connecting it, and understandably some people donā€™t want to bother. Whilst I found no problems myself, others sometimes do. Reading queries on this forum it seems to me that dealers could and should do more to provide an ā€˜oven readyā€™ solution for anyone not network/computer savvy. That said, products like the Uniti Core, Melco, Innuos Zen/ith etc potentially provide a simple solution to own-store streaming as they can be connected direct to a DAC, with no requirement for a network to play music.

Thanks IB

Yes I get all that and have for some time

You say ā€œpotentiallyā€ better sound quality re streaming

By saying that, it goes to the heart of my concern. Itā€™s not clear cut , if it was Iā€™d be there

Having said that I have ripped all my CDs into the CORE and from time to time ( in my other home) I use for convenience , so I get that point.

To me itā€™s got to be about a much improved sound quality experience over CDā€™s.

Cheers

1 Like

Naim can repair the CDS3. Check with your distributor/Naim. Mine sounds great with the new laser mech.

1 Like