CD player for occasional

Firstly sorry for your loss, you were very fortunate to have a father that introduced you to music. It must have been wonderful to have that in common.

I’ve just purchased a CD5XS with a Flat Cap both were 2nd hand and a very reasonable price. However jury’s still out as to whether a cd sounds as good as a rip.

1 Like

CD5XS an excellent player and will give you flexibility for later should you wish to upgrade uniti

Hi JDL,
I also have a Superuniti, and I’ll be upgrading to a SN2 and an NDX2 at some point, but theres no rush cuz the Superuniti makes my reconditioned Kef R107s sound so darn good. And I find the Dac in the SU to be very good.
With that in mind, you really only require a good CD Transport, otherwise you have 2 Dacs. I recommend that you research the new Audiolab 6000CDT which is a transport only. I believe you’ll be quite amazed with the reviews on it. I will be buying one myself soon, as I am selling my CDP.

I currently have a Linn Unidisk 1.1 Universal CDP which I play thru the SU, and of course, when I connect it via analogue and use the internal Linn Dac, it sounds incredible. But when I connect it via the coax digital out, and use the Naim Dac, it still sounds very good to the point where I can’t really justify having that much $ tied up in duplicated gear. ie. 2 Dacs.
The Linn is a high-end, reference level CDP, and sold for about $14,000 cad. So, if I’m satified using the SU Naim Dac with a good transport, I be!ieve that you would be happy with it as well. And you’d have to spend a whack of change on a CDP to get one with an internal Dac that’s anywhere near as good as the Dac in your SU.
The Audiolab 6000CDT Transport is currently selling, brand new in Canada, for $650. And it only came out in the last 6 months, so there aren’t any used ones yet. But read the reviews, I’m pretty sure you’ll be impressed.
Good luck tho, with whatever you decide to do.
Cheers.

Dave.

Hi again JDL,
I’d like to add tho, that if you get a Nain CD unit, you’ll probably be able to control more of the functions on it from the Naim App on your tablet or cell phone. With the Linn 1.1, I can only adjust the volume level, and there are times that I wish I could skip a track ocasionally.
Just a thot.

Dave

I traded my CD5X for a CD5XS in 2019. I recommend either one. I was reluctant to take a chance letting go of the X; but I wanted the Digital-Out the XS has, to run it through my Qute2, where Analog-In is already in use.

No regrets — both are great CD players for “reasonable” money, Naim-wise.

I never heard the CD5 — dealer told me the X is better, FWIW. I trust him.

I also have a CD555, which I like very much; but I cannot resist the appeal of the CD5X and XS; both are exceptionally engaging players at their price, and a bargain compared to the CD555. Nick

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.