CD player in 2021

I’m curious - are you suggesting you get that same good memory when you buy a CD every day?

Personally I’m enjoying streaming a lot right now. I use it to discover new music (see definition of ‘new’ below!). I don’t really have a ‘proper’ streamer in my main system - a DAC I plug my phone into.

I’m also enjoying buying vinyl at a rate I’ve not before.

I’m also enjoying buying new CDs.

Mainly I’m enjoying a heck of a lot of new music. New new, as well as old, but new to me.

I get all the points here, particularly the straightforward m.o. of cataloguing CDs along with track favourites, that sounds like a tried and trusted method for that forum member. I suspect I could get by with ‘just’ a streamer. But buying and using physical media is great fun! I remember buying 12"s from Eastern Bloc records in Manchester in my youth (a whole section of my record collection is solely from those days, and likely that shop). Mostly these days I buy from the river, or Piccadilly Records, or Bandcamp, or Discogs, but sadly rarely from a proper record shop, so yes, those memories are drying up!

I’ll probably sort a proper streamer out at some point, and I guess time will tell if that means I buy less physical media. Meantime, I’ve never listened to so much music, which is a great thing, and I love where my HiFi is at after a major overhaul over the past few years. I’m a happy music lover and HiFi fan.

And yes, that includes my battleship Naim CD5!

1 Like

Of course I try.

I buy in Amazon only when I get a recommendation and I feel I must follow immediately. I tend to remember who made the recommendation.

Most of my CDs I buy when I travel, for business or with family. I dedicate time to search, buy local artists or follow advice. I remember many of these purchases.

I also buy from a couple of shops near my home. The dealers are very keen to sell and it takes a session of questions and answers to pick up the bags they prepare for me. I learn a lot and I also remember a lot.

Lately I follow my 16 year old daughter, I remember each one of those.

I admit that riding a motorcycle in November from Madrid to Dublin to buy a CD is an extraordinary memory, but I have a few like that.

It’s a bit like drinking coffee, I think.

2 Likes

Yes, and I agree, that if I would have had a vinyl or cd collection, it would have probably changed my thinking. In fact, surprisingly I gave serious thought to picking up a Solstice when they were announced, just a crazy thought–I guess that signifies that I am pretty happy with streaming and would go for sideways into vinyl rather than any upgrade. However, I kept the course. Perhaps a PhoenixNET is in my future.

Don’t you have the itch to upgrade the CD player, Rafael?

I’d never buy music purely on a recomendation from others - though I’d certainly have a listen (Spotify, Bandcamp etc) if the recommendation is from someone who has similar tastes to mine, or who I know understands my preferences. At least my limited musical taste means I can afford to buy any music I like, and my collection remains of manageable and listenable-to size - it is growing, gradually, but at my average rate over the decades so far it will never reach unmanageable proportions - and the day I start forgetting what I have and buying the same things again is the day to stop buying!

As we said before we are different and I respect you.

I sometimes buy CDs because I like the artwork.

I sometimes don’t like CDs and I rediscover them many years later.

I do not need to listen and make sure that I like a CD before buying.

My collection defines me, it is far from perfect and contains many failures.

4 Likes

Recently I bought a player inspired by this thread, a modest Teac made in China.

I have a small collection of players, but I am still saving for something top of the line.

3 Likes

As a learner myself i am becoming surprised that there are popping up here and there references to streaming quality and while my Only concern has been one of convenience.
I would definately be dubious of the PCM 16bit quality till i had run my own tests but would have thought only for real fussy people (me) would have the distinction been relevant.
Then is not the 24bit or so quality feeds an advantage here?

Post cancelled

I bought the same LP at that time.
Your other comment i think you are verging into an area where reception of that empathy
is not so highly implanted in some it could be disregarded.

I commonly delete 1/2 the tracks on a CD so for me this is a deal breaker on a CD player purchase. One persons deal breaker is another persons novelty just goes to show!
So it seems some never skipped tracks on a LP either!

Well it seems i have been given all the help there is so it is time for me to leave off, thank you.
No one has directly addressed what i say happens with i pad when i visit a dealer so i have to take it this is normal. Maybe i dont like typing also i can not all ways remember spelling and exact record titles, so no i dont get it that selecting 10 tracks in 10 seconds on a remote is not more simple
…There is one other advantage to the sticker on CD system i can pull out forgotten not played for years CD and right there is listed the input play list again no fuss it just works .
I think i see one advantage to streaming not mentioned this does not apply to ripped to storage however. When you own replay hardware CD. T.T. etc, if you do not like what you
hear you blame your equipment with Streaming it’s just a box. Don’t like what you hear
you blame the “service” and just move on nothing you can do, nothing to upgrade or think
about, who cares if the next one is crook cause the one after will be all right.

Skipping tracks for me has been very much a rarity (and with vinyl lowering the stylus anywhere other than the lead-in groove risks creating extra pops or clicks). But for your reference, if streaming from your own music collection as opposed to online streaming, if you wish you can permanently delete tracks you don’t like (or create a second different copy of the album with them missing), and/or permanently re-order tracks, so that every tome you pick an album it is how you prefer it.

As for sound quality, playing from one’s own store if the system is good it is just a matter if whether the mastering is good - and that applies equally to CD, or indeed vinyl.

Hi Richard, yes some never did… :slightly_smiling_face:
And I tend not to do it also on CD, for me CD or LP makes no difference, it’s always an “album” of songs or music…
Wasnt’it called Long Playing…? :grin:

My rossini has a built in cd player, that’s very good, even so only used it a few times as ripped all my cd’s on to the melco N10 from a melco D100. This has proven to be a great way to do it for me, as all my cd’s ripped, my downloads are on it too, very easy to use and not just on the main system, but all round the house on different kit. Sounds fantastic and non of the horrored plastic cd cases taking up loads of room.
Plus I actually listen to albums that I wouldn’t have if on cd, as it’s so easy to play them and just move on if it’s not what I want to listen too.
But we are all different, but I certainly won’t be buying a cd player anytime soon and certainly don’t miss them unlike vinyl, which I am so pleased is on the way back

And the reason it was “an album” was because in the days of 78 RPM records, you had literal albums that instead of holding vacation photos held collections of your 78s in sleeves. There were also album boxes to store your new 33 1/3 LP records in as well, but those never really took off.

My parents had a bunch of both of these and how I wish I had gotten them - no idea where they went when my parents moved out of the NYC area. I remember records by Harry James, Bing Crosby, Enrico Caruso (those were one-side recorded 80 RPM), Mario Lanza, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, and others. Ugh - how I wish I had secured those when they were moving.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:
s-l400~2

3 Likes

Getting back on topic… I do think It makes sense even in 2021 to buy a good CD player, maybe the last one so It has to be good.
We saw the resurgence of tubes and vinyl so it is also possible that CD might survive for a long time.
There’s so much software out there at bargain prices that It really does make sense.
Don’t you like jewel cases? Rip them all and put them in the basement.
If the final goal is listening and enjoying music this is the right time for CD, thousands of offers on all music genre (except for SACD… :confounded:) and for classical music or jazz lovers it’s heaven.
Those that in the darkest hour of vinyl kept their “High End” turntables are still and more than ever enjoying their decks and records… what about those that got rid of those old-growth family houses lost in the countryside when the fashion of living in the cities was trendy…maybe they’re buying back now, at what prices…
Let’s not waste or dismiss like rubbish a technology that gave us a lot of pleasure and still can give, we do not know what the future will bring… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Your post is a good argument as to why buying CDs (as opposed to a CD Player) often makes a lot of sense today: They can be a cheap source of music, even new CDs often costing less than other media (and secondhand are far more reliable than vinyl). As for heaven, that is down to the system they are played on, but for opera or other works that last more than 74 minutes CDs themselves limit the heavenly experience, but nirvana can be achieved by ripping to join double or triple albums as one…