CD player versus Streamer

No, I can’t. It was 15+ years ago and I don’t keep ‘references’ in case someone years hence wants me to confirm something.

It was a widespread discussion at the time, 2 people who used to post on a couple of forums claimed to be BBC insiders and confirmed this as ‘fact’. Maybe they were lying, but the argument was that DAB when first introduced was pushed as CD quality radio in about 1997 (but no-one could hear it). Its failure to take off led it its rebirth in about 2000 as Choice Choice Choice, with more stations each sharing a smaller part of their mux.

Hi lm, maybe for the sake of maintaining diversity on this Forum the word ‘ sharing’ would be kinder and more con jussive than ‘ showing off ‘, which to me has a very negative connotation. Just sayin’… ATB Peter

4 Likes

Hmm… if you don’t mind me saying it sounds a little suspect…
I worked for the BBC in TV engineering many moons ago… and many internal activities you were not expected to talk about outside work

Patrick! Ah yes, the OP, forgot about him.

The little tinker!

1 Like

Is this the same Patrick who used to post:

‘Dear all, Do you think it is not up-to-dated in playing LP nowadays? Playing music via CD seems is the trend now. Kindly advise.’

And then used to watch the ensuing ‘debate’ from the sidelines.

2 Likes

Certainly Peter, it is a bit of a translation thing i think… In my native language (Dutch) showing off just means ‘to show’, so it had a different intention than what may have been conveyed in my post…

3 Likes

We are doing alright between us litemotiv :wink: Best Peter

1 Like

Qubuz is a case in point. When I bought my Qb (Mk 1) I was told it could multi room with other Naim network players. It supports Tidal and I believe Spotify but not Qubuz. Along come with the ND555, the NDX2 and new Unitis which support Qubuz but the Qb Mk 1 cannot update to support Qubuz. I presume if, hypothetically, I bought a NDX2 it would play from Tidal simultaneously with my Qb? A minefield and that’s before we get into Roon, MQA etc.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

My CD5si wasn’t that old so was in as new condition but it has been retired, boxed up and ready to move on since I got my ND5 XS2. I just don’t see the need for two Naim digital sources.

If you don’t like it, don’t read it, other people may be enjoying it.

…or clogging it up with the 17 posts you have submitted that will not inform anyones’ hifi choices to any great degree.

All your source has to be is reliable so that you can play music to your liking.

Well Simon, that sounds ehrm…a bit dodgy to me! :thinking:

1 Like

I am sure Simon could say more, but then he would have to kill us.

Lindsay - now having an NDX2 and a Qobuz subscription, one thing Mrs HH likes to do is multiroom Qobuz to the QB mk 1 in the kitchen. It’s then possible to play LPs or listen to the FM tuner in the sitting room if I don’t want to listen to whatever she’s playing on Qobuz.

1 Like

Noted.

1 Like

CDs here still. Until an affordable streamer can compete with our CD555 we are unlikely to migrate. Perhaps in a few years pre-loved ND555s will be within our reach :smiley:

2 Likes

I have just spent the best part of 6 hours going through old posts in the Padded Cell and I think that Patrick was the OP who said that he thought kittens were lovely and soft and furry and that puppies were a bit you know, troublesome and so was unsure what to advise his next door neighbor’s mother-in-law what to buy her niece for Christmas.

4 Likes

Really… been the same with every employer ever since in IT engineering involved with national infrastructure.

Its called controlled information. If you work for HMG or the Civil Service, local Government, Police etc , the controls are usually nicely defined… and of course if you breach them then you will loose your clearance, likely your job and future jobs and potentially a lot worse.
Jeez I guess some members here lead sheltered lives.

The point being if there is a deliberate reason to deceive or influence the public for economic reasons (dab vs fm) which I very much doubt , whatever the rights or wrong, such activity would be sensitive and restricted to cleared need to know employees… the last thing they would do is brag about it on the public web… certainly if they wanted to remain ‘insiders’

I don’t! I did once, when I had nothing better, and no doubt would if times changed and that was my only access to music, but now I don’t.