CD Players

Given the ability to change and upgrade almost every component on an LP12, how long before you have a ship of Theseus deck? Hence, I don’t think it’s possible to say how many are still in use.

What about deleting everything on here that is not related to CD players?

5 Likes

Reminds me of a Derek and Clive sketch😂

2 Likes

Exactly
I have both cd and vinyl but at moderate level.Both give pleasure.
I’m sure a top flight linn TT is marvellous but certainly not cheap to buy and maintain and vinyl prices are getting silly high - Aladdin Sane £25 on vinyl and on cd £7 new. CD’s secondhand are laughably cheap and virtually given away yet second hand vinyl again rising in price and unlike CD be in poor condition. Unless you have a historic vinyl collection buying vinyl now is financial craziness. My CD5Xs is 10+ years old and given 10 years service at no further cost than buying CDs.No replacement cartridges phono stage bearing etc upgrades

Should I have to make a fresh start in terms of equipment and format |'d probably just replace the cd player and possibly invest in a higher level streamer. Whilst it might be heresy here I think I’d look at a rega amp with built in dac and cd player The zen mini has been great. Not sure in reality what the SQ difference would be but my wife would be delighted with the space gained too. I was at the sound gallery in Wycombe last year and heard a brio cd and amp into moderate BW speakers and it sounded great. It was a well matched and set up set up. Tiny by comparison too!

6 Likes

Thank you. That’s a rather lower figure than I was expecting, given how long it has been manufactured, about 50 years now. (All my adult life, in effect.)

Hopefully, I will get a delivery date soon for this little beauty. The Luxman D-10X SACD/CD player.

I have started compiling a list of CDs that will get played first. Something like this:

1. The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet ABKCO SACD versions.

2. The Beatles - The White Album 2009 remastered CDs.

3. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood 1999 remastered CD.

4. Chet Baker - not sure yet :thinking:

5. Eva Cassidy - not sure yet :thinking:

6. Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Mozart - Various Violin Concertos

Anyway, I’m having fun trying to compile the list. :joy:

17 Likes

@MrDom - you may also want to try the Analogue Productions Pink Floyd SACDs – Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals as well as their Roger Water Amused To Death, the superb-sounding Japanese mini-LP replica Led Zeppelin SHM-CDs (a big forum favourite, those, but they are quite hard to find these days).

On the classical side, there are the Jordi Savall CD/SACD releases on Alia Vox, all of which sound superb, and all of which feature excellent performances (Baroque music especially). They might not be your thing, but all the Can SACDs (released on Mute in the early 2000s) sound incredible, as does Goldfrapp’s Supernature SACD (Mute again, from 2005).

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of this machine!

1 Like

It’s about 60 or 70 a week over the 50 years Graham, which, for a hand-built turntable, is actually quite a lot (not Technics SL1200 numbers obviously, that’s sold in the millions). Apparently LP12 sales are better now than they have been for quite some time…

2 Likes

Many thanks for the heads-up @TheKevster .

I have Roger Water Amused To Death so that will definitely get a spin.

I love LZ but probably not prepared to pay for the SHM-CDs, lets see. I have just ordered LZ I, II and III 1994 editions in CD, mint condition so will be interested to see/hear how these sound.

Big classical fan and love the Baroque style amongst others. I already have some great recordings but not familiar with your recommendations so will definitely check them.

Many thanks for this :grin:. I certainly plan to put the D-10X through its paces and report back.

2 Likes

Thank you for that. I do wonder how many are still in active use - most of them, I hope.

It’s very pleasing that the numbers in use presently are rising. My elder son will be joining the ranks soon, as he heads into his mid-thirties. I have prodded him into it a bit, but (I hope that) he will thank me for it!

1 Like

Try the Acoustic album by Eva Cassidy , you can almost feel her in the room with you, and on a machine like that , I think it would be superb / send shivers up your back …

1 Like

You’re gonna love the remote. It’s from another time. Oceans of space between buttons. Weighs a tonne, made of metal, and as thick as a pack of Lucky Strikes.

I read somewhere that the curvature was in fact based on two packs of cigarettes placed end-on-end.

In an age of ultra slim lightweight things, this remote exists just for pure needless tactile pleasure.

2 Likes

Rega produce, I have read, about 50,000 turntables every year (presumably with the vast majority being the cheaper models). It shows that the high end turntable unit sales for UK manufacturers is relatively low. Based on my serial number, Rega have produced on average less than one Isis cd player per week over the 12 years of production. I doubt if the valve Isis is more than one a month!

1 Like

Good call :+1:

I have already ordered six albums this afternoon from the vast collection. I checked them on the Tube and the music is wonderful imo. Can’t wait to listen to them properly on the D-10X :grin:

Thanks again.

4 Likes

Far too many to recommend but in respect of Eva Cassidy Live at Blue Valley is a really great sounding album, I have also found anything by Leonard Cohen on normal CD live or studio to have sounded fantastic. Another worth a try is anything by Nick Cave, he has a really haunting voice and all of his CD’s sound great to me, Idiot Prayer is a live album recorded during the pandemic with just him and his piano, well worth a listen.

1 Like

Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley will definitely be one of the first played. This is a stunning recording imo, not to mention the wonderful music. I think it’s an excellent test disc to see whether you can hear/feel the atmosphere, etc created that particular evening.

I think I’ll wait a few days (30 hours approx) running time before playing it though. Let’s see how the D-10X performs. :thinking: :pray:

:ok_hand:

On a low table sat between Statement would look awesome!

2 Likes

The vivaldi one is much more than a cd player.

Vivaldi dac/pre
Vivaldi streamer and upsampler
Vivaldi cd/sacd
Limited numbers

All in one box and about the best disc spinner you can get

1 Like

You would only need the statement amps, so you could get the vivaldi one with the spare change from the S1

1 Like