CD Players

I did say a range of cd players that obviously would also include a better equipped cd player than currently on offer (not saying it’s not a good player just lacks some features you’d expect at a budget cd player at its price) and at least one mid priced.

Although you may have abandoned a cd player there’s plenty here that haven’t.

1 Like

I think you now have an Audiolab 6000CDT, how is it going?

It’s a great transport works well.

2 Likes

Is it just a transport, or does it have analogue output as well?

No it’s just a transport, plugs into my NDX2.

2 Likes

The Japanese market must still be very buoyant for cd players. My dealer had an Accuphase demo day with a variety of sacd players and amps. They even have a range topping sacd transport and separate dac that comes in at just over £20k. All of the players, integrated and pre/ amps sounded lovely………build quality to die for.

2 Likes

It’s silly and sometimes plain wrong to stereotype by reference to nationality, but the Japanese seem able to produce consumer durables of extraordinarily high quality.

I say this while looking at the two beautifully built Nikon F2 Titan cameras (40 years old but unused) which are sitting on a shelf in my room.

6 Likes

There may be a lot of people here who still play CDs but the same cannot be said for people of all ages across the globe.

I recall Naim never did a CD/SACD was a compromise with other formats.

That’s a rather strange comment and I’m not sure where you get your information but not sure can speak for everyone.

I had my cds3 serviced at naim and new vam 1202 a couple of months ago and it sounds fantastic.

2 Likes

I had my CDX2 serviced, and changed to digital output only, (I have a Nova) and it’s a super combo .

If I hadn’t been able to get the CD player serviced , it would be the Audiolab

I use my Nova for internet radio and podcasts from Radio 3 , I won’t use streaming service - HiFi Choice has a wonderful article on how artists are paid. It seems very unfair .

Yes agree a bit of a weird comment , maybe it’s backed up by fact :flushed: so maybe @ryder can inform us all ?

I guess that Naim’s decision on whether to develop new or updated CD players was based on or included their assessment of the market for a product of the quality that fits with their ‘separates’ products, which in turn would likely have been informed by sales of their CDP and streamer products, and the development costs and anticipated profitability inevitably would have be factors in that decision.

An alternative route they could have taken, that in my own view would have been better, is to develop CD and streaming ‘transports’ with separate DACs, enabling cheaper ownership for anyone wanting both CD streaming, sharing a DAC, also providing a cheaper and more flexible upgrade path with a choice of different levels of DAC.

4 Likes

I guess one factor was the demise of the Phillips mechanism leaving them to either source another high end mechanism or design their own. They obviously decided not to bother which is a shame.

3 Likes

Or there is this type of product , built mainly I think for the Japanese market

A streamer, and CD player built into one . Coupled with a SN3 it would cut the box count yet still produce a reasonable sound.

4 Likes

Biggest regret of my 40 year Naim journey was parting ways with my fabulous CD555

What a foolish move that was

Still, it went to a great home, so happy that it’s safe and being appreciated

8 Likes

I would love to own a cd555 maybe someday…

1 Like

I had the CDS3 before the CD555 and it’s a beauty

My dealer currently trying to source a CDS3 for me, hopefully it comes off, just have to be patient

1 Like

What do you think of the cd555 vs cds3