CD Players

Well the CD555 is definitely better and from memory by quite a margin but it was in the context of the full 500 series system, so to bring the best out of it need the 552 and the 500 although 300 amp probably fine

But I always look back on my days with the CDS3 with great joy , it’s a spectacular player also as I think most people that have or had one would agree

1 Like

Ok thanks hope you find your cds3.

Be interesting to know how many CDS3’s and CD555’s were manufactured

Perhaps @Richard.Dane might know ?

Cheers

I don’t have those figures Bevo. One for Naim I think.

I have a cd555 and, malfunctions aside, it’s going nowhere! A cds3 preceded it and I would be happy with either - they are both great sounding players. The 555 is more a tour de force in sheer engineering excess and weighs a ton!

Peter

Well what a goose I was departing with the CD555 northpole , that’s all I can say !

Yes agree, the CDS3 is fantastic

1 Like

The French Metronome audio makes still high end cd players but they mostly sell to the Japanese market.
Personally i am glad today to not have bought the Cd555. Most of my music is bought on Bandcamp and generally I buy only 2 or 3 tracks per album. I costs much less than buying the cd. And a lot of these albums are not available on cd.

1 Like

Speaking personally I’m closely following this thread as my CD player is from the mid 90s and I’m thinking about ‘plan B’ in case one day it cannot be repaired. With a large-ish CD collection the idea of a classic-sized box replacement CD that can accommodate an external power supply would be preferable, especially given that my internet connection is not stable.

1 Like

But it’s always possible to burn those tracks to an audio CD. A little extra faff, perhaps, but it does mean that option is still available to those without streamers.

Roger

Truly bizarre comment!

I’ve coveted this machine since it came out, even when I had no need for it with my Nova, but now an SN3 is in house, I’ve at least got a valid reason!

Though, my Marantz SA8005 is still surprising me with its SQ performance. It’s just my Vault I’m less happy with.

2 Likes

Not sure the quality will be the same.

Cd’s must be more expensive in France. Many cd’s cost me 50p each from charity shops and second hand from Discogs, Ebay or Amazon from £3 to £7 including postage. However old they are the cd’s they invariably play perfectly.

Yes, you can buy cheap cds too here. But not the new albums from this year or the last years. On Bandcamp they cost around 20 euros with shipping and are generally on limited quantity. I can download 2 or 3 tracks for 5 euros and listen to them immediately.
All depends which music and from when you listen to.
I buy however full albums, but on lp.

I had no intention of changing my CDS3 until it started skipping and no mech’s were available.

Like others, I was uncertain about the future of CD so started to look at streamers. I had never heard a streamer I enjoyed more than my CDS3, until I heard the ND555.

Now I have an ND555, I thoroughly enjoy it and wouldn’t be keen to go back but it took a significant outlay to be satisfied with my CDS3 replacement. That said, if Naim still produced the CD555 or something else at that level, I would likely have stayed with CD.

I have no online subscriptions, I listen to my ripped CD collection (still ripping), a handful of downloads and a couple of internet radio stations.

I think amount of discussion in this thread shows that there is at least some demand and that Naim could make a highter tier CD player if they really wanted to. For the time beeing people who want to stay with the brand can really wait for a used unit to show up as these can still be serviced nowadays.

My guess that they won’t be big numbers. I bought a Rega Isis in 2021 and my serial number is 502 which is less than one a week since 2009. This will exclude the valve version but I am sure they sell in even smaller numbers.

I think you’re right, ultimately numbers will dictate, unfortunately.

It says a lot

3 Likes

Yes but look at all those cd’s that were sold in the early 2000’s that are available second hand now at bargain prices as their owners have switched to streaming!!

2 Likes