CD Players

Have you actually got it yet?

What sort of speakers will you be using?

I have it earmarked and money reserved aside including the matching CD-DAC. But I really can’t justify another box in this cramped place until we move in a couple months. Pandemic added more than 6 months to our timetable.

I had planned on taking a punt on Decware DNA Horns since all the floor standing easy to drive stuff sold in Japan is fairly large and often Tannoy - which I really dislike. I like the idea of a compact horn loaded speaker with no crossover. Could be total rubbish of course but this whole endeavour is a bit of fun. If I can’t get them I was thinking classic JBLs but rocking out on 10wpc in a large room is pushing it, even for JBL so I’m still considering options of the same price range as the amp itself or lower.

I took a while to embrace streaming as with 1200 CDs I couldn’t face the prospect of hours sat at my laptop ripping them all to a NAS. Then I was around a mates house who was streaming Tidal through his Linn set-up.
That was the moment I decided the convenience just outweighed any doubts I had had.
So I brought a second hand ND5XS and subscribed to Tidal (£20/month) and have barely played a CD since and that was two years ago (and I’ve added a Superuniti BT for the bedroom). It’s brilliant frankly the utter ease of going on an evening of discovery (new music) and finding old favourites.
Maybe the only downside is sometimes staring at your collection gives a better visual clue as to what to listen to… something the Naim app doesn’t match…not quite.
Having said that once you know what we want to listen to there’s no spending ten minutes or more searching for the CD or worse finding the case with the wrong CD inside it courtesy of my beloved missus mis-filing it (booze has a role to play in that unfortunately with wine and music being happy partners).
I’ve just brought four robust plastic packing crates for the majority of my little silver discs to go up in the loft).
So whether or not manufactures like Naim will continue to make them (CD players) I think the drift away will leave just a few remaining.

1 Like

Whatever does this mean? When the nDAC first came out, it was marketed as offering an upgrade to the CD5XS and CDX2.2, which is why they gained digital outputs and Naim brought out the DC1 cable with BNC connectors. There were extensive threads at the time comparing CD5XS + nDAC to CDX2 with and without PSs which are still available on the old forum archive.

But I was responding to @Airdavid’s query as to whether CDs sound better ripped or direct. Any comparison between different boxes will be affected by their different DACs and analogue stages. My sole point was that, by using the nDAC, those factors could be removed. I was not recommending any particular setup.

Roger

1 Like

“CRAZY” shouts the person who has four boxes (and should be looking for a PS for the CDX2.2 :yum:) to the man who has one box into active speakers.

Roger

1 Like

CD, or not CD, that is the question…

Fascinating discussion developing on this thread, which clearly exposes different tastes and thinking on the subject. All are valid, depending on your perspective.

I happen to like playing CD’s (and vinyl LP’s too). Probably have 1500+ across both and still collecting.

Although, I have ripped all the CDs and have the option to play from NAS, the novelty wore of after a year or so.

I have also enjoyed both Tidal and Qobuz subscription, which are fun. Don’t always find what I’m looking for. But, their database are improving. Also, doesn’t quite match the physical experience of handling albums, all the visual materials, lyrics and sleeve notes. Add Roon and you are getting close…

Streaming the CD quality sounds about the same as actual CD to my ear, on my system. The HiRes material is slightly better. But not life changing. I deduce that a more capable system may better resolve the HiRes materials available. But, again that involves more money and so cost (value) becomes a consideration.

There is something really quite pleasing about thumbing through a collection of albums and picking out the one that fits with your mood or the flow of the music being played. The case, with sleeve notes and visual materials, have a tactile quality, that is also pleasing to handle, read, study, etc… These are subjective things, not necessarily related to sound quality. But, for some, including me, a very important part of listening to music.

Other considerations, apart from purely sound quality, influence our decisions…

So I was a little disappointed when inevitably Naim began to discontinue their players, in 2018. I quickly went out and bought a CD5XS. I’m now happy in the knowledge that I’m probably good for 20 years for CD reply. As I trust that Naim will be here if my machine needs any TLC.

A little later, when the NDAC went the same way, I was able to add a pre-loved NDAC, for what seemed an affordable upgrade. Wow, what a difference this addition makes. My dealer thoughtfully showed alternatives, from Chord and other usual suspects. However, for around £1000, concluded the NDAC did a pretty solid job and fitted with all my other Naim gear. Again, sound quality is not always the only deciding factor. Costs and aesthetics playing a part too.

The cost or value of a thing is relative, to the other things by comparison.

I’ve been lucky to experience some nice CD players on my own journey… starting with a basic Sony player in the late 1980’s. ( back when it was a binary choice between a Sony or a Philips machine). Then came along a Mission PCM 7000. Late 1990’s into early 00’s I tinkered with a Linn system, and tried both Genki, then Ikemi. Then moved on to Meridian AV style system with a G96 universal player, before adding a dedicated 507 to the system, just for CD play back.

Also, along the way, the privilege to listen to other people systems, which have included top Linn, Naim, Meridian, etc, etc, CD players. On the point on top “money no object” players, I hear the benefit. But, probably would never spend that level money. My point being that although we might strive for perfection, there is always a balance with how much we are prepared to pay for that.

But, for my my money, the Naim CD5XS is the most pleasing I’ve experienced along my HiFi journey.

Anyway, back on original topic, in response to the OP, the CD5XS offers an excellent option for enjoying CD replay and can be improved, with other steps such as adding NDAC, if you are inclined to tinker and improve SQ.

We make personal choices, often with objective and subjective reasoning, that makes sense to us. Hope all that helps the discussion?

8 Likes

:yum:

Never claimed that this"patchwwork"does’nt produce good sound quality,but this combination was never intended by naim to act as a cd player.I think that naim couid easily develop a cd transport from the cd5xs or from the cdxx2.2 and not let some of us to slaughter 50% of a good player.

1 Like

I have no doubt that at some point down the line I will end up with a streaming system…whatever that means.

I have two issues with my understanding…one with trying to get up to speed with the various Naim abbreviations for their gear and then where they sit in the hierarchy and second what they actually are and do!

So I’m think that you can ‘stream’ in 2 ways. One from a load of ripped CDs stored on a hard drive and then fed through the normal amplification…and second through a streamer which is connected to the internet and some steaming service such as Qoboz, Spotify, Amazon etc.

What I do know is that it will most likely cost me a shed load of dosh!

1 Like

It doesn’t have to cost a fortune…a 2nd hand ND5XS can be picked up for circa £900 and the Tidal subscription is £20/month (but you never have to buy another CD). It’s a no brainer for me :+1:
I’m still keeping my CD5X as a legacy back-up and it’s paired with a Flatcap 2X to squeeze a bit more out of it (marginally).
So don’t be scared…and you’ll be able to access Tidal off your phone (with a decent pair of headphones) anywhere with a signal too which is a bonus.

1 Like

Well that would work…so what is a ND5XS and where does it fit in the foodchain?
My system is anLP12/CDI/ 82/2xHicap/250 and SBLs…would it fit in there?

So which would fit better into this system…a ND5XS or a NDX?
CDI/LP12/82/2xhicap/250/sbl…

You can get something of the same by going to the albums screen in the app and choose a letter at random, so the screen jumps to that letter, then you can just scroll gently down until something takes your interest. It’s like looking along a shelf of CDs except that you can see the cover art without taking them off the shelf!

I also use “newest music” and go back from the newest to find any recently acquired album I have forgotten about, or can’t instantly find in the album list because the metadata is slightly off.
Best

David

I used a NDX into a 82,Supercap,and 250 for several years my CDI gathered dust the NDX was superb into this system.

OP mentions CDS which suggests he’s been away a long time.

I might bring this up in another thread soon: I own a CDS1 myself but the allure of networked audio was to much to pass up. To establish a baseline for my network solution of which the player per se is but one component, I have of late purchased a Meridian 206 which is to be contacted to the network player. The 206 features a Philips CDM4 variant swing-arm mech which is just streets ahead of those noisy linear tracking mechs. From here I will calibrate the network audio bits as far as I can. It’s my covid19 project .

1 Like

Yes I have been a long time away…

Exsactly what i mean, patchwork.

I have no idea about food chains but let’s put it this way I’ve done rough A/B comparisons between a favourite CD (say Ronnie Laws ‘Tribute to the Legendary Eddie Harris’ on Blue note) with my CD5X with a Flatcap 2X power supply against the Tidal streamed version through the ND5XS and to my ears they are pretty much indiscernible… possibly the streamer just edges it. The amp by the way is a Supernait 2 and speakers bespoke redesigned and rebuilt Ditton 44’s (think of a pair of stand mounted speakers you’d pay £4-5k from a dealer).
If you are just ‘dipping your toes’ into streaming it’s s great place to start.
Alternatively…just buy a Superuniti BT and add suitable speakers (mine are AE1’s on AE stands).
My missus and I often go ‘gig loud’ and both systems sound the preverbial dogs gonads :+1:

1 Like

AE’s are starting to feature regularly on this forum

That’s because I keep on mentioning them lol. I’ll not mention them again :wink: