CD Sales rise by 47%

I am a very happy CD and online streaming user - Tidal Masters. My biggest issue with CDs is no fault of the format itself - basically many new album releases are not available on CD, except in Japan so I have recently imported a couple of discs from Japan though this can be expensive. I have a very small vinyl collection but, though I appreciate the sound quality, I find the format inflexible (other formats take up less space in terms of storage and playback - I can use CDs all over the house and in the cars) and ‘highly strung’ in terms of maintenance of the records and potential for noise/ground loops etc.

Some ‘artists’ (e.g. Lorde) have claimed environmental reasons for not releasing CD versions of their latest albums - ironically they have released vinyl versions and, in Lorde’s case a trinket box which contains a load of useless tat but alas, no CD. I therefore question the environmental argument if the release is available on vinyl but not CD.

As for vinyl vs CD, revenue based data will always skew in favour of vinyl as, on average, vinyl recordings sell for at least 3 x the price of the same recording on CD.

2 Likes

@pod Same as you - Spent more on CD’s than ever since I sold my CD555 for a Core and an ND555.

True, but the growth of vinyl is nevertheless stronger, and the portion of music lovers in these sales, who might buy an expensive player, is probably larger

I love streaming and have not bought a cd this year, or vinyl for that matter but my collection will not be boxed away until after I’ve been boxed away.

19 Likes

Gosh. Delightful :sunglasses::clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.