Cd to streaming upgrade?

The actual ripper here is also important, agreed on that point. Naim use their own proprietary ripping engine, no idea what it is or if it’s based on something open source for example.
I primarily use XLD (Mac OS) with AccurateRip and a fairly recent USB Samsung BluRay writer/player. I have on occasion used an Apple Superdrive as well which from memory uses a TEAC transport.

What you’re doing system-wise, music access wise, and your music to living rational, is exactly the route that I’ve taken. It just gets way more music into one’s daily routine.
And sure, the music can sound 15% better here, and 5% better there; but if I’m listening to 50% less music because of that, then it’s not worth it.

Access being right at my fingertips, 24 hours a day, is brilliant! And the Naim App isn’t perfect, but it’s bloody good enough. And yes, having all the units you need, switched on and ready to play, anytime, makes the access even easier. I do the same thing.
Cheers.

Dave

2 Likes

On the QB2, if you go to the Server input and select Local Music, do you see the contents of the USB drive with proper metadata and artwork?

It doesn’t have a local music option. That rings a bell for the Nova and ND555, but I can’t see it on the Qb. I’m at Mum’s, so can’t experiment with the other kit.
I had a look at the online ‘support tool”, that only showed the route through the USB menu.

You should see it on the QB2 but not on the Ist gen models.

If not, you can always connect it to the Nova USB and turn on its server mode then all your streamers will see it.

Ah sorry, I wasn’t clear. When I’m at home a pair of Synology NASes do server duty, and all my devices see the metadata. I’m away from home and I’ve got one of my offsite backup drives plugged into the USB port on a Qb2, it isn’t showing that as local music in server mode, my only access route is via the USB button. I’ve seen it work as local music on the Nova back home.

I haven’t actually tried it on my QB2, but the support page I posted above clearly shows Local Music in the Server input. I’m not at home either so I can’t check it, but unless that’s an error in the Muso support page it should be there.

EDIT: this is indeed an error on Naim’s ‘Support’ page. I’m posting this edit nearly a year and a half later and it still hasn’t been corrected.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.