CD Transport to go with NDX 2

Naim CDP lovely machines buying them risky step. As feeling_zen says to take new transport sounds as safer move, especially if good DAC already in the system.

1 Like

I can wholeheartedly recommend the project cd box at £2100

Superb sound. It is still running in but I prefer it to my Innuos pulse atm

Uses a new drive mech from stream unlimited so parts should not be an issue going forward

1 Like

If the internet connection goes down, some routers automatically repeatedly reboot to try to re-acquire internet and the WiFi will often be down during the router reboot. It all depends on the router and the network configuration.

I have a Bel Canto Cd3t. It is excellent. Very easy to use, half width, but heavy because of the build quality and absolutely silent in operation. The silent operation is what did the deal for me. Connected with a Chord Epic AES/EBU cable it is noticeably better than streaming.

4 Likes

I agree. Why buy a second hand Naim CD player (or any other brand second-hand come to that) when the transport may give up the following day and leave you with a very expensive door stop.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. Every router I’ve used since starting local streaming has worked fine while the internet is down, so I’d naively assumed that this was always the case. I must check to see how the Nest Pro handles an outage.

Regardless, buying a CD player for the odd time when something may go wrong seems slightly OTT.

1 Like

Older BT hubs used to do this. I’d hope the newer Smart Hubs are OK but I’ve not had a broadband outage to find out.

2 Likes

I suspect that by airing the problem, the solution has presented itself. I suspect my BT Whole Home mesh system requires internet connectivity to operate! The solution therefore could well be a different MESH system for the house that doesn’t need Internet connection to operate. Testing will start immediately!

I am interested in some comments off various sites saying people think their CDs sound better played live so to speak, rather than ripped!

Isn’t the Naim CD5SI still current product? Even if it is discontinued in the near future I would imagine Naim will be able to support it for at least another 10 years or more. It will blend with the rest of your system visually and it’s sensibly priced and reputedly a good sounding player - why look anywhere else?

JonathanG

1 Like

Checking whether your WiFi/ router works without an internet connection (rather than desperately trying to reconnect) is thoroughly worthwhile. Others here recommended I check by pulling the cable - mine were fine both here and in Tas but I now understand my old Virgin router would have been less happy.

Otherwise, I do take @Dan_M ’s point - I am a huge fan of my CDS2. As mentioned, I now think it is approximately matched for SQ by NDX2 plus XPSDR (whether streaming or playing rips). However, the CDS2 was generally a clear winner before the XPSDR arrived for the NDX2.

Now look at cost. An old CDS2 might die soon or might last for years. However, it is cheap now and doesn’t require paying Qobuz every month (or having a ripper/NAS).

Compare eBay CDS2 prices with those for NDX2 plus XPSDR plus a decent NAS?

1 Like

Why buy another brand of CD player. Well my Rega Isis has two matched mechanisms stored by Rega for my machine and a lifetime warranty on manufactured parts.

1 Like

Your player is an exception in that even buying second-hand, you are safe in case of transport failure, because Rega keep the 2 transports/mechs for such an eventuality. Providing this arrangement can be passed on to future buyers if you decide to sell. Not sure if this is so.

You have a fabulous player, by the way :sweat_smile: :+1:

Thanks. Yes the remaining transport/s are passed on to the new buyer unless you have used all of them which I hope won’t happen for many years to come.

1 Like

My Sky router is an example if this. If the internet connection fails the whole thing grinds to a halt. If you jump through all the (usually pointless) hoops, restart, try a different splitter, etc. etc. it eventually takes you to a page where there is a ‘use without internet’ option. Even this page often fails to appear and you might easily be ****ing about with the thing for an hour before you can get it working.

2 Likes

BT with EE back up works very well here, but then i also have roon arc so can use airplay to nova if needs be

Yes i have the EE backup, works well, surprised BT dud nit suggest, unless the coverage is poor.

I bought a Cyrus transport recently and had a Project box before it. Both are good but the cyrus is excellent and I wish I’d bought one years ago

1 Like

Which Cyrus transport have you got if you don’t mind me asking?

Looks like a nice unit. And it has green on the display :blush:

1 Like

I comtemplated a Cyrus Transport and they have fantastic reviews. Decided to go for CDS2 instead. Used examples of Cyrus CDT appealed. They dont have the presence of a Naim CD player but I am sure they are A1.

1 Like