CD555 - Questions to former or current owners

You could hear a rattle through the speakers.

Your laser is still VAM1250 or now is VAM1202?

Desmond,
Are you concerned about using the newer VAM1202 in your CDS3 rather than the older but apparently better VAM1250?

I went through this with my CDS3 a few years ago, when the VAM1250 transport started to be grumpy about which cds it would agree to play.

The CDS3 went back to Naim for a good seeing to (a technical audio term, you understand). Naim didn’t just replace the VAM1250 with a VAM1202. They made a bunch of other improvements in the player to compensate. Naim also pre-screen and pre-select each VAM1202 transport that they use, rather than using whichever one is supplied.

Hence, my player came back not just with a new mechanism but also new circuit boards and firmware. As a result, the CDS3 came back sounding the best that it had ever been. And it has never skipped a beat since.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

How did you send the cds3 back to Naim? I think they don’t accept individual sending? Or you send it through retailer in England?

Hi Desmond,
Via my Naim dealer.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.