CD5si into a DAC?

Try it without a your power supply conditioner.

1 Like

I am still using my faulty CD5Si occasionally in my dining room. Sometimes it skips and sometimes it plays fine. I could not stand the suspense if it was still in the main system!:joy:

1 Like

Also, try it feeding the amp using the phono connection, I think it sounds better, I use an old pair of Chord Chameleon.
Not having to bother with digital output or power supply upgrade options must be a way of keeping cost competitive and putting good engineering into the basics.

3 Likes

One advantage of pairing a CD player with digital output (CD5XS and CDX2.2, if it’s to be Naim) with nDAC is that if the mech in the CD player fails and is unrepairable, you can at least replace the player with a (non-Naim) transport and keep playing those CDs.

At one time a standard recommendation for a CD player to pair with 282/250 was a CDX2. I actually preferred the CD5XS/nDAC combination to the bare CDX2.2 and a power supply can upgrade the sound even further. Additionally, the nDAC could also be used with a streamer such as ND5XS2 if you decide to jump into streaming at some point.

Roger

3 Likes

You’re telling the wrong bloke, tell the OP!

It’s a pity the CD555 doesn’t have a digital output.

Why would someone spend that amount of money on a 555 and then not use half of it?

I can’t imagine anyone using half of it if they didn’t have to.

Precisely, that’s why it does not have a digital out.

Of course, but if it did have a digital out, it could still be used with a transport, making it worth my buying second-hand,

No … in those circumstances it could have been used AS a transport.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.