CD5XS, CDX2 Phono Output Switching

Back again with another question.

I have read in the manual that the RCA Phono outputs and the DIN outputs can not be connected at the same time.

Is this because there is a physical connection between both outputs and having both outputs connected will load down the output signal coming from either of the DIN or Phono outputs.

I further read in the manual that one can select between RCA Phono and Din out puts.

I am hoping that both outputs are isolated from each other to allow playing through an amplifier via DIN. Then one could select Phono and allow audio via the phono outputs to a headphone amplifier.

When I speak to sales staff that I would like a high grade closed headphone so I can listen to music whilst my wife is watching NETFLIX they suggest a headphone that requires a separate amplifier.

Or is the headphone socket on the amplifier Naim XS 2 good enough to drive a pair of Focal or similar headphones?

Warm regards,

Paul in Oz

The outputs are controlled by relays, and these relays are open or closed depending on the output connection mode chosen. The outputs are not isolated from each other

1 Like

I’m using Senhiesser HD800’s on a Supernait 2 and that works damn fine. According to the Naim site, the XS2 has the same headphone stage, so I’d try that first before looking at a seperate headphone amp. Indeed, headphone use was one of my reasons for going with the SN2 to avoid getting a seperate headphone amp/

1 Like

Thank you Simon and Mike. I require a fully enclosed headphone back. To isolate the noise from my wife’s Netflix watching. So a least we can be in the same room together for most of the evening.

Warm regards,

Paul.

1 Like

You can actually also choose to have both outputs switched on at the same time. There’s a slight performance penalty though, but I guess it could be a useful feature at times.

1 Like

For that matter, for the price of an XS2 and a separate headphone amp, you could have a SN2 anyway, which would be a step up in amplification.

G’day Mike and Richard, I did some searching on Sennheiser headphones and came up with these two links. There is the option of an amp. Though like yourself I have trying to steer clear of this and would like to use the headphone output on the Nait XS 2. The question is if the Nait and Super Nait can drive a 300 ohm impedance of this headphone?

sennheiser hd-820

More research required. It comes with a 3 metre lead terminated in 6.35mm stereo plug. Just what the doctor ordered.

Paul.

Yes, they can. My HD800’s are 300 ohm and the SN2 drives them superbly. I checked the Naim website and the XS2 has the same class A headphone amp as the SN2, so it looks like a good option. It will keep you in the Naim soundtoo, which another headphone amp may not do.

Thank you Mike, I am as happy as a pig in poo! That is a good thing. I do not know if this sort of humour is restricted to Oz or is world wide.

Now I am going to add up all the numbers for a:

1. CD5 XS. $4,800 AUD
  2. FlatCap. $1,800 AUD
  3. HD 820. $2,624 AUD

Total. $9,224 AUD

Well it is below my $10k budget. I am sold. I will leave the loud speakers for another year or two. Or maybe never. Thank you very much Mike and everybody from other “Topics” I have posted that have lead me to this conclusion after three posts and a few days of answering and reading feedback.

Job is done. Phone calls start tomorrow. Orders will start when my superannuation transfer is complete. We have had a lot of ups and downs this year and this week, tonight has finished on an up.

Thank you everyone : )

Paul.

1 Like

Hi Paul. I’m not trying to be difficult here but those headphones are way too much to match with a Nait XS. They cost nearly as much as the Nait itself and really deserve a dedicated headphone amp. I’d suggest looking at something much more modest.

G’day HH,

I require a closed headphone that is suitable with the Nait XS headphone output amplifier. Would you have any recommendations? I was thinking of leaving the option open to purchase Sennheiser HDV 820 Digital Headphone Amplifier at a later date.

Open to suggestions and would prefer as high as quality I can go with a 6.35mm stereo male plug.

Warm regards,

Paul.

G’day HH,

How about this one?
klipsch-heritage-hp-3-oak

or this one

b-w-p9

Warm regards,

Paul.

I’m no expert on headphones - my reticence about the Senns is based on system hierarchy - you just ‘don’t’ use £2,000 cans with the inbuilt headphone amp of a £2,000 integrated amp. I had some Beyerdynamic T5p, which are superb closed phones, but they sounded far better with my Astell & Kern AK70 than driven by my 272’s headphone amp. Beyer make some really good phones at lower prices, around £300 should be more than enough.

1 Like

I have to say that I think that the headphone amps in the integrated are probably better matched to a lower impedance headphone. If you need sealed phones then the B&W P7s or P9s are a great choice, as are the Share SRH1540s. There are doubtless a number of others also worth investigating with a fairly low impedance.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.