Cds2 + xps

So in summary, that’s the risk that one takes with buying a Naim CD player. If I had a decent DAC or streamer that accepts a digital in then this could also be a nice way to go for playing CDs.

This is what I sometimes do with my Auralic Altair and an old Marantz CD67SE or the Marantz UD7006

1 Like

Such a shame about the mechs. So it seems a VAM1202 mech is very much preferable over VAM1250. But even the 1202 has only limited supply.

Is it similar on the CDS3?

I’m more attracted to the CDS2 because reports suggest the sound signature of the CDS3 will be closer to my NDS but the CDS2 will offer something s bit different.

CDS3 just brilliant machine. Would take such if have spare mech or Naim confirms the service in future. Otherwise will skip Naim CDP, even own one (CDX2, 1250) and like most of them.

I’m looking for a different sound to my NDS/555DR. I’m assuming a CDS3 will be similar whereas a CDS2 will be warmer, smoother, and dare I say it more analogue sounding albeit not as refined and detailed

1 Like

If you want a little warmer then you’d probably be looking at an original CDS. But good luck finding a CDM4pro mech should it need replacement. For years Naim were the only manufacturer that kept spares of those. When I was Naim’s customer service manager I remember a Krell owner begging me to sell one to him so he could get his player fixed as nobody else could help. I felt for him, but had to refuse as they were only for Naim CDS owners. Despite a refurbishment program undertaken by Naim, eventually the supply of mechs dwindled to nothing.

2 Likes

I still use an original CDS2 and prefer it for SQ to a CDS3 or any CD player without a silly price - a bit LP12-y but not lacking in detail or clarity or grip.

When it dies, I may well get a CD transport (Audiolab?) to feed my NDX2/ XPS2 or get a second-hand Core to rip my existing CDs and any CDs that I do get (I already have one instead of a CD player in Tasmania).

In any event, the CDS2 is still a great machine and many now have a mechanism that was replaced in the last 20 years.

Others have had very little use in the last few years (put into an attic in about 2000 perhaps) and may well be good for several years - making current low prices (some close to £1000) not bad even if a buyer doesn’t get another decade out of one. I might not risk that, but a cheap CDS2 with a mech from 2015, as recently advertised, would be compelling.

I also saw this thread:

Perhaps @Alto can be persuaded to sell one of his hoarded spare mechs?

Never heard a CDS2, so can’t comment but it’s like all Naim stuff. There are those that don’t get on with the old classic or black and prefer olive or CB.

Exactly. I would say this is even a better way to go unless you want an old piece of Naim memorabilia in with the rest of the system, which I assume is Stu’s 500 boxes or possibly the CB amps.

Sadly I’m sure there must be a huge number like this :joy::rofl:

It’s the same for tweeters for SL2. I saw the profit announcement of wilmslow audio due to all the panic buying :flushed::joy:

1 Like

I have a mixture of Classic and olive (plus Radikal and Nakamichi) on the rack. The last olive to leave will be the 52, but I am more likely to die owning that than to stump up for a 552 and its PS, so I’ll probably have a non-tidy collection for all my days.

Of course, given the age of many olive Naim fans, boxes will sadly be appearing on eBay with increasing frequency over the next decade or two.

2 Likes

Not a very cheerful thought, but yes I will probably be in the same boat one day. Although you never know when that 552 will come along :wink::joy:

1 Like

Wonderful as the 252 is, a 552…

it would partner great with your 300 and I speak from experience

:smile:

1 Like

Ha…… got me :rofl:

Although I have many years of such temptations but have still managed to resist :joy:

2 Likes

I’m looking at an early CDS2 which was serviced in 2016.

Anyone know if it’s standard practice to change the mech in a service of a near twenty year old unit, and likewise the update to a VAM1202 back then?

I can of course ask the service dept but by that time it might be snapped up so considering taking a punt…

You need a definite answer, not a best guess, I am afraid. Apart from anything else, the right price will be radically different.

1 Like

Naim typically only recommended a service of a CD player when absolutely necessary, so either a mech failure or perhaps DAC chip failure etc…

2 Likes

The CDS2 only ever used the VAM1205, so no VAM 1202 update.

1 Like

Next step - serial number.

1 Like

My CDS2 and CDS3 sounded very similar with XPS. Quite a bit smoother and melodic than the CDX. I sold the CDS2 on and purchased the CDS3 when I discovered the laser mechs were gone. The CDS3 was far improved by adding a PS555. Unfortunately it started skipping and Naim could not repair it. I still miss the sound!

2 Likes

I went CDS2 with XPS and loved it. Got an NDS with 555PS at same time. So then decided to sell the CDS2 as I couldn’t justify having the two sources. I missed the CDS2 so decided to get a CDS3 which was great with the XPS2. I enjoyed both CD players very much. I sold the CDS3 as I needed to free up some money.

More recently I bought another CDS2 on a great deal with an XPS2. I missed the CDS2 so much I bought another.

It sounds fantastic. It’s different to an NDS and sounds a bit like an LP12. Lovely CD player.

If it dies I would consider buying another CDS2 or CDS3.

They are that good. Personally I think the CDS2 is slightly preferable than a CDS3 as it sounds a bit warmer and gets my toes tapping more.

2 Likes

I would just go ahead and buy it if you want a CDS2. There is a risk that it will fail and you can’t repair it. Alternating the pucks is a good idea and taking them out of the top loader when not in use. The mechs are available at present.

The CDS2 is a lovely player and it is definitely worth a punt if you can get a good price on it. I was really pleased when mine arrived 2 months ago. They sent me an XPS2 instead of an Olive XPS which I was quite happy about!

1 Like

:+1:

I owned both CDS2 and Ndac for about nine months, it was obvious to me the CDS2 was better. I asked quite a few people which they preferred, everybody chose the CDS2.

Sold the Ndac and bought a better turntable, then sold the CDS2. Now own another Ndac.

I found the difference between the CDS2 and streaming, was the CDS2 was extremely consistent, virtually every CD sounded fantastic. I find the same can’t be said about streaming.

2 Likes