CDS3 on the blink again

Yes, was talking to Jason Gould on Saturday who said cd555 mechanisms were still available due to Naim stockpiling.

1 Like

This concerns a CDS3 not CD555
I would love to get it fixed but it was already sent to the UK in 2021 for a new DAC. The transport is so far fine. Looks like the other DAC now🙁
I think at some stage I will have to say goodbye :cry:

I would appreciate some comment from @NeilS on what I could do here to diagnose if it was the DAC on the other channel and also if it is still possible to repair the player. Shame though that both were not recommended to be switched at the same time. Also with the risks of shipping to the UK again. Can this not be done by musicline in Germany?

Is it the same channel as before - or the other channel - or you don’t know, can’t recall…?

Can’t recall. Like I said the player does not get much attention since I got it back but that’s not to say I won’t use it in the future. I like the CDS3 and the way it sounds in my system

Sorry to hear that and hope there’s a simple fix.

Not sure if it’s all that important to know, but might you have posted about it back in '21, and the channel might be mentioned on the forum somewhere? Or do you still have the job sheet for the repair, that might also mention which channel?

This one - don’t think it mentions the channel tho

The right speaker sounds distorted

With that information I suppose we should be able to confirm which DAC is faulty

2 Likes

I thought long and hard before buying another CDS2 with XPS2 and considered Audiolab CDT. I got a great deal on CDS2 but was very tempted by other offerings.

I wanted to keep my system all Naim as I love the Naim sound. The Audiolab 9000CDT will sound clearer and very good. The Naim CDS3 with XPS2 cost £10k when it came out. It was made and designed to a high spec and has quality albeit somewhat outdated. The thing is that this older kit is very high quality and thats why we tap our feet. It makes our hearts sing. It’s a very special thing.

Although technically very good you may find something missing from the Audiolab 9000CDT that Naim does best.

Naim CD players have soul and sound brilliant. Yes you will get clearer presentation from other CD players but thats not the only thing that brings music alive.

I think these legacy products are very special. If my CDS2 goes wrong and can’t be fixed, I’d consider buying another. The CDS3 is a bit pricier used.

I found the character a bit different from the CDS2. I think the CDS3 is the best looking CD player Naim produced. Maybe I will get another one day.

Think it through, take your time. See if you can get it fixed first. Then at least you can always sell it for good money. I saw one on usual website without XPS2 for £1900. Which is alot more than I paid for mine.

2 Likes

The cost of the last repair was not astronomical so I will take it to my dealer who will send it off. I have a place for it on the rack so would ideally like it fixed.
It would be nice to have a statement from Naim that it is still possible to fix based on the information I have given

2 Likes

I’m having my NDS screen fixed at the moment. These things need TLC. I hope the repair goes well. Keep the faith in Naim.

I believe the player on eBay you’re talking about has the original VAM1250. This is my understanding of the current situation: Units that still have the VAM1250 are no longer replaceable due to a lack of supplies that enable the replacement of the VAM1202 to be done. They’re only replacing CDS3 units if your player has already been converted to the VAM1202. However, the demand for VAM1202 lasers is high, so as soon as they get stock, it is quickly depleted. (If I understood correctly, the figure was 60 lasers were replaced in one month during June 2023.) So it’s an ongoing on/off situation. To purchase a CDS3 now, it would be wise to get one already converted to VAM1202, where you have a better chance of getting a replacement laser. @anon17458420 I would take this into consideration if your CDS3 still has the VAM1250 laser, but I would also seek clarification, as the situation may have changed.

2 Likes

Thanks for that and yes I remember the discussions that it is no longer possible to go from vam1250 to a vam1202 cds3. I am mulling this over and maybe the answer is to not spend further on this, sell the XPS2 and use that to fund qobuz or Amazon music which is supported by the Auralic.
That said I would like to see what Naim suggest here and if there are spare DACs available to fix the player

1 Like

The repair in 2021 was the left channel, so it’s the other DAC this time.
Unfortunately we are not really in a position to replace both DACs when one fails, just in case the other should follow, due to the availability & cost - these are incredibly expensive now!
They are surface mount devices & I’m unsure as to whether our German distributor would carry out the work or not.
So to conclude - yes we have the DAC, but the above post from @formelyknownasMoog is correct regarding the transport situation.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes

Okay so looks like @anon17458420 can get DAC repaired or replaced by Naim HQ?

What’s the ongoing plan to repair existing CDS2 and CDS3 CD players with regards to mech and DAC.

Do you have mechs for CDS2 still? If not am I looking at a doorstop for the box?

Many of us want to retain these fabulous legacy CD players.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. I have a fabulous CDS II, which has been ‘dead’ now for over a year, and I’m beginning to doubt whether it will ever play again.

I hope that some clever person at Naim can find a way to fix it, even if it involves putting in a different transport mechanism altogether.

1 Like

Thanks for your response @NeilS.
I will get a quote and see what the numbers look like then.

1 Like

That’s correct.

I don’t currently know what the situation is regarding the mechs - I will discuss with my line manager next week & post an update.

Unfortunately not at present.

I absolutely understand - they are worth maintaining!

We currently have laser assemblies for these (VAM1205).

Regards
Neil.

6 Likes

Just as an observation , as I cannot contribute to the thread per se , but full credit to Naim for replying to this thread at 9pm in the evening and giving such concise and helpful info.

10 Likes

In that case, I will ring Audio T in Brighton tomorrow to ask about getting my CDS II to Naim HQ ASAP!

Incidentally, Neil, is your icon photo one of those very old NAP amps that Julian Vereker/Naim made initially for London’s Capital Radio? (Which I think was one of the very first products ever built by Naim.)

2 Likes

Thanks very much @NeilS. There is a demand for these classic CDS2 and CDS3 units as they sound so good. We would like to keep them rather than use them as doorstops.

Please, please, please beg to your managers for ongoing support to these units for loyal Naim customers!

It’s only because we love them that we want to keep them. Modern day CDTs don’t sound the same. We like the classic sound of these units.

And we are not ready to give up just yet!

4 Likes