CDS3 right channel stopped

Although it sounds like it’s an issue which will need a trip to a service centre to be sorted, if you’ve not done so already, power the CDS3 off at the power supply and leave it for 20 mins then power back up.

Hi Richard, when I went to a dealer last week he said Naim are not bothering with repairs on CD players anymore, because of hard to get hold of parts, or does that depend on the problem ?

AFAIK, right now they can’t source replacement mechs. Whether things will change or improve as the Covid situation eases we will have to see. However, I think the relays should be replaceable, unless they are also in short supply. Maybe @NeilS knows…

I don’t think a loss of one channel is likely to be caused by a faulty CD mechanism. I also think a relay is more likely the cause.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks everyone for your help.

Thanks David

I believe the current advice is not to ship the older players unless they have a fault, so not far routine servicing.
Regarding your CDS3, as you are missing a channel on both DIN & RCA, I’d hazard a guess that you probably have a faulty DAC.
A relay fault would commonly affect only one of the output options.

Regards
Neil.

6 Likes

Thanks Neil, as ever.

I would suggest that you pack your beloved CD player into the boot of your car, drive it to Sheffield and get it looked at by Class A. They are the only service agent approved by Naim, use only genuine Naim parts, and do an excellent job.
I hope @NeilS wont be upset by me suggesting that you use someone other than Naim’s excellent in-house service dept. It’s just that this is the only way you are going to get a proper Naim approved repair (assuming such a thing is possible) without using a courier to transport it.

2 Likes

Do Class A do CDP repairs? I thought not….

2 Likes

They certainly used to, have they stopped servicing them?

My CDS3 is in for repair for exactly the same reason. The right channel went out 2 weeks ago and I went through all the same processes to check it out. It’s the Burr Brown pcm1704k dac.The left channel failed two years ago. The same dac I used in the ND555.

Does Class A have CDS3 laser mechs available to service Naim players? I would consider shipping to them if possible. My CDS3 has no value as is and it would be worthwhile shipping to England if possible to repair.

There are also Naim approved service centra outside of England. To name 1: LASA in Italy.

Fully approved and the do CD players a lot.

It depends where you are.

I would very much doubt it. I honestly do not know if @Darran does service Naim CDP’s…?

Well - someone should have sufficient motivation to contact him off forum.

1 Like

But… that involves… effort… :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.