CDX2, CDS3, or CD555 with a view on long-term servicability?

Thank you. Oh I have no doubts that Naim squeezed even more out of the 555. But then even though I totally believe that your asking price is 100% reasonable for the quality, and I was close to throwing all reason to the wind :slight_smile: I now paid half of that for the CD including the XPS2, and it makes me happy in many ways :slight_smile:

The Sunday a week ago a 555 appeared in Berlin, so I could have picked it up easily and I was tempted again, similar quality and similar price to yours, but he just expected too much for the non-DR PS and would not budge. There are good recent DRs currently around, but approx. same price as the head unit, so way more overall than what I had wanted to spend to begin with when I explored the options. (I would have gone there had it turned out, e.g., that only the 555 is serviceable)

Anyways, now I have the XPS anyways and it is in need of service (has gone 13 without one), so if I have to send it off Iā€™ll just do that as well. I may want it DR-ed in the future, and as I alluded weā€™ve all forgotten how bad a non-unified market can be. By the way I was lucky that it was already in Germany and shipped from there. If it still had been in its original residence in Switzerland, import duties and taxes would have been nearly a third of the sales price.

2 Likes

You just canā€™t argue with the basic economics of the CDS3/XPS-2! For the money, around the same price as the ND5XS2 there is no better source available with the Naim badge on it! My CD555 is an incredible player and one I actually donā€™t need to sell and am quite happy at the moment I still have it! I actually listed it prior to the ND555 arriving so needed to make sure it did not sell instantly anyway!

Enjoy the new player, I found that after a few days and then a few weeks the sound became even more natural after a long period of switch off.

2 Likes

Enjoy what is a glorious sounding CDP. Itā€™s not being able to part with the CDS3 which stops me from starting streaming on my main system.

Regards,

Lindsay

4 Likes

Sorry for jumping in a little late, and welcome to the CDS3/XPS2 Club. Mine is still playing wonderfully and itā€™s not far from my Klimax LP12 in sound qualityā€¦ Enjoy the ride

Claude

2 Likes

My CDS3 got the very last of the original mechs (VAM1250) in a repair when the unitā€™s original mech failed in 2010 having only lasted 5 years.

Not really because mine got one in 2015 :slight_smile:

If you buy a Brinkman Nyquist streamer, no need to open the cover.

2 Likes

Wow.

From Naim HQ???

When my mech failed and it was sent back I was initially quoted a price for repair that involved a modification to accept a different mech. It was only by chance that my dealer found out there were a few VAM1250ā€™s assigned to new builds and argued that it was only right mine got one of those mechs.

1 Like

No, itā€™s a serial number from 2007 and when the 1250 mech failed in 2015 (neat anagram), the previous owner sent it to the German distributor, Music Line. Apparently they still had a new 1250 mech in stock and changed it. According to the previous owner it was barely used after this until I took it off him this summer, so itā€™s quite special :slight_smile:

What are the downsides of the current replacement mechs ? Are there any benefits?

There will be a different sonic signature but as Iā€™ve not heard one I canā€™t comment on how it sounds.
It may be subtle, it may even be better but I know Iā€™m glad I got the VAM1250 fitted as a replacement.

1 Like

My spindle has also cracked in half on my 555 so itā€™s going in for a service!!

Oh dear! Iā€™m just waiting for mine to fall apartā€¦

The new and different mech requires other changes to be made too, so there will be some sound changes, I guess, at least for sensitive ears. I only know my player with the old one. As is to be expected, apparently some prefer the original, some the new one (though this usually means full service too, which will have is own benefit). The new one has the magnetic puck without rubber feet, so might be marginally less hassle in this regard. Personally, I am glad to have the CDS3 in the form that Naim originally intended but with a nearly new mech

1 Like

I intended to hang on as long as possible to my CDS3 as I love the way it sounds. I had intended to send it for a service but itā€™s recently started skipping occasionally so I suspect it may well require a new mech - I hope I like the way it sounds when it comes back !

I had skipping once after I forgot the CD & rubber puck over night in the tray, but a bit of rubber massage solved it (and I fetched a spare from the dealer)

Edit: Oh we had this little discussion once already in comment #44 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Elfer,
A lot of scary nonsense has been written on various forums about how the VAM1202 mech is much worse than godā€™s own VAM1250.

My CDS3 started out with the older mech and was fine for about 6 years before it failed.
Naim replaced with the new, apparently inferior mech but also brought the CDS3 up to date with several other related changes. End result? It sounded better after the mech change and factory service than it ever had before.

So I really wouldnā€™t worry about Naim fitting the newer mech. It will sound better than ever.

Hope this helps, BF

6 Likes

Thatā€™s reassuring to know.
Iā€™m a bit of a dinosaur and really have no interest in streaming.
I much prefer vinyl to CD, not just the sound but also the physical media and the tactile nature of the sleeve and notes.

3 Likes

Thanks BF, thatā€™s reassuring. Not much choice at the end of the day, Iā€™m grateful that Naim keep repairing these things for as long as they do as I have yet to find a streamer that sounds better, without spending more than Iā€™m prepared to, for a product that will likely be out of date long before my next service is due :joy:

I second what bluesfan said the different mech and software updates the cds3 sounded so much better by quite a margin

1 Like