CDX2, CDS3, or CD555 with a view on long-term servicability?

I asked my dealer about the insurance cover on items, as the legacy stuff like a CD555 is, in some respects, irreplaceable (to me) and, of course, ‘new for old’ cannot apply.

…the answer wasn’t 100% clear.

The legacy Forum photo’ of a 500 head unit bent into a V-shape is burned in my mind.

That’s the thing, insurance is not a full solution for a destroyed loved player when replacement is not simple or with a new one not possible

I reread the thread (not the first time, it’s so much great info to digest) and noticed that what I meant was actually NeilS just a bit further up in this very thread. But on rereading I believe that the “only ship if necessary” was mainly aimed at the older ones, partial quote, “The original CDS, CDI, CD2 & CD3 are getting very dodgy now in terms of mechanism repairs.
We only tend to see these players with DAC failures (for example) & the shipping hasn’t been kind to the mechs. We have yet to say “sorry - can’t be done” but it is definitely on the horizon. As has already been said, don’t ship these players unnecessarily!
All other players with disc reading issues can still be repaired at this time.”

Anyways, in case you haven’t seen my post shortly after yours, I had actually asked the same questions as you directly to Naim before opening the thread and received the same answer as you, which I pasted here. I wonder if anything changed as Richard said it was different. (As Thegreatroberto already suggested, maybe better mech stocks than expected, and balance of risk applies anyway)

1 Like

Someone once said “Its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved”

You know the risk so if the price is right a Naim CD player maybe the best bargain in the Naim range at the moment.

1 Like

Absolutely, just thinking that an option to pick it up vs long distance shipping is an additional consideration if there is a choice between more than one offer

:slightly_smiling_face: :joy: :man_dancing: :upside_down_face: :dancer: :partying_face:

It’s a CDS3 & XPS2 in the end. The CDP is from 2007 with S/N 250xxx, but looks like new and after a mech failure it had a new one fitted in 2015 by the German distributor. Since then it was used just a few dozen hours according to the seller (who was great and I believe every word he says). Interestingly the replacement was a new VAM1250, there might not exist many CDS3 like this - I thought that after the switch to 1202 (2008/9?) all mech replacements used the 1202 as well. Might distributors still have had the odd 1250 in stock when Salisbury didn’t anymore?

It’s been running for 30 minutes and OMG, I went for 25 years through life without knowing that this is how CDs can sound? Now that’s really stupid of me :man_facepalming:

Once again many thanks to everyone, I could not have done it without you.

I’ll now talk to Naim service to ask about service recommendations. (And I will get the XPS DR’ed also, as long as the UK is still in the EU. The CDS3 previously lived in Switzerland and the owner told me about the horrible customs and other import costs when sending to Salisbury or the German distributor (as apparently there is none in Switzerland))

Question: I have it hooked up with DIN to a borrowed Uniti Nova and all is fine. However, when I connect it by RCA instead (DIN unplugged), volume is virtually non-existent. I have to turn the Nova volume to 100 to hear a tiny bit of tinny sound that seems to be bleeding in from somewhere else, but it is there. However, when I disconnect the RCA from the CDS3 and connect it to my CD5i-2, the sound is normal. So it looks that the RCA output of the CDS3 is somehow weird. Ideas? (There is no switch to choose RCA or DIN on the CDS3, just a note in the manual not to connect both at the same time and AFAIK that’s just because of SQ)
And yes I care about the RCA out because I will have to return the Nova when my NAD pre/streamer comes back from repair (and until the 272-2 replaces it)

Not completely done yet because my rack planning was lagging a bit behind recent developments (the CDS3 and the Aria) and so it did not take a top loader into account. So the Aria and Nova levels will lose a few centimeters and then hopefully I will be able to open the CD tray. Though at the moment it feels like I could listen to the same one forever as long it is played by the CDS3 :slight_smile:
(CD5i just temporarily on the 300 PS for testing)

2 Likes

Very possible, yes.

To change output you need to press and hold the DISP button on the remote. Then toggle between options by pressing DISP. DIN = O, RCA Phono = oo, Both = O oo. It’s not recommended to run with both outputs enabled if best performance is required. Best performance is via the DIN output.

1 Like

Thanks, Richard!

[Edit: wrong]
Interestingly, the printed manual that came with the player makes no mention of output socket selection. This one says only “Owners Manual CD Players” on the cover and contains CD555, CDS3, CDX2, CD5x, and CD5i. Like I said,the player is from 2007, but I cannot be sure that it is the original manual (the player had another owner before the previous one).

I found another manual on one of the usual manual websites and this one says “Owners Manual CDS3, CDX2, CD5x, CD5i” on the cover (note, no CD555). It has a different structure and indeed on page 4 there is “5.5 Output Socket Selection” using the Disp button.

Edit: And yes I am aware that DIN is preferred, but unfortunately I will have to bridge a gap with the NAD until the 272 successor … :slight_smile:

Edit 2: I was wrong, thanks @CliveB, in my printed one it’s in the common section of the manual further back

If it has one, check Page E14 para 19.4 (for the English language detailing) of the manual you have.

1 Like

Enjoy your CDS3, it is a lovely machine.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s the thing, it is not in there, see my other reply to Richard - there seem to be at least 2 versions of the manual, and it is missing in my printed one :slight_smile:

I have the CD555, etc manual and it’s on page E14 ‘Output socket selection’. There are sections on the individual CD players, a generic section, one on the remote controls, and another on pucks.

1 Like

Apart from the bargain that it was, I kind of like it more than the CD555 on an emotional level. The 555’s sheer physical size (and ugliness) feels a bit oppressive :slight_smile: And given my vertical height problem it would have pushed it, I really don’t want the TT any higher. It only ever entered the picture because of a supposed bargain, but this did not pan out and really good players and accompanying PSes were above what I felt really comfortable with, as damn tempting as Steve’s was. So the CDS3 simply feels more at home here, and really I don’t think I need anything more from a CD player.

2 Likes

That’s right, there it is. I only looked in the CDS3 section, not realizing that there is a common one, sorry. In the other manual it is in the player-specific sections.

It’s on E11 in my manual, not E14 that just has stuff on pucks. The relevant bit is here anyway:

Best

David

1 Like

Yet another version :slight_smile: But yeah I found it in both of the ones I have, thanks everyone.

I’ve been using my CDS3 for some years now without any awareness of that program function. Have set up for the DIN only - not sure what it was set to before but have to say, afterwards it does sound pretty damn good, maybe even better so maybe it was set to DIN/RCA before.

Either way, this function is good to be aware of. Great player, the CDS3.

1 Like

@Suedkiez congrats on the CDS3, its a great machine. The DR upgrade was not noticeable to me in terms of HiFi detail BUT it brought about a more coordinated sound and more enjoyment from the music. Its worth doing BUT I would not do the DR upgrade. The XPS-2 sells for about £1300 in the UK, you can get a DR for £2k…

The CD555 is a better player. Definitely. It is different better though. The CDS3/XPS-DR is probably the best value for money player right now. The whole combo is still less than a CD555 head unit with enough change for an SL interconnect!

Glad that my stupidity was good for something!

1 Like

Many thanks !