Celestion SL700se

Has anyone used one of these on Naim gear…any good???

Not that model, but I did use a pair of SL600 with 52/135s for a while back in the day. Same Aerolam cabinet, etc. They were fabulous, but definitely needed a lot of power to get going. Not very popular around here is my impression… Both Martin Colloms and John Atkinson were big fans.

Interesting…re compatability the 700se is supposed to address most of the short commings…better top end…longer throw woofer…etc etc… I heard them at Penta donkies years ago and they sounded amazing on the end of a KSA50…
Its not a rampant speaker…but delicate and transparent and at times punchy…

Yes, I’m sure they would be great with Krell. Initially I drove my SL600s with Audio Research tubes, the SP-10 preamp and the 250 watt D-250 amp. Truly exceptional.

1 Like

Dear Richieroo,

I run a pair of Celestion SL6si speakers with a Nait XS2. I think everything is fine at low volumes with the volume pot not exceeding past 9 to 10 o’clock position. I have noted that if one reads the burst on the 200DR and 250DR specifications that mention that these amplifiers are capable of driving a 2 ohm load for extended periods of time.

My dealer has recommended that when and if I upgrade I should look at a 202/200DR. With ability to drive a a low impedance of 2 ohms I would feel more comfortable with such an amplifier. Though I have had my Nait XS2 for seven years now with no issues even after hours of playing.

I hope this helps. I see that the SL700se speakers are spec’d at 82 dB SPL, where as my SL6si speakers are at 84dB SPL. Both are inefficient though I do love my SPL’s and understand and live with what has been described as the British Way of doing bass.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

1 Like

Hi Mitch its a long time ago but I seem to remember the SL6si had the aluminium tweeter…which is better…and it had a figure of 8 brace inside. The SL700se from memory were less polite and had a very nice snap to them … I fondly remember a pair playing at Penta Heathrow driven by a Krell KSA amp…they were amazing transparent, dynamic and full of detail. These speakers were never meant for earth shattering volume…but they are definitely quintessentially very British…and I love them, years ago I bought the Warfedale 708s which was designed by Gordon Banks… (same designer) and I bi wired them they were superb … I miss them…

1 Like

Are they the matt grey ones?

When I worked in retail in Tottenham Court Rd in the early 90s we ran them on a big Musical Fidelity pre-power. Excellent.

I imagine that with a top flight NAC and anything from a NAP200 upwards they would be glorious.

Yes…I had the grey ones … I took the bass units out and carefully hard wired and spaced out x over … for bi wiring. It made a really big difference… superb speakers. If you can find a pair in good nick get them… very very underrated…you need a really good amp to drive them…

Dear Richieroo,

When you say a really good amp. I am currently using a Nait XS2 though as mentioned on this forum when I upgrade in six years after the sale of my Harley Davidson motorcycle, I plan to purchase a NAIM 202/200DR. Do you think this amplifier combination would be adequate for a pair of Celestion SL6si’s? Or should I aim higher in amplifier power output or look for a more sensitive set of loud speakers please?

Finding it very hard to let go of my old gear from the 80’s.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Yes yes… what I was getting at was this speaker 708 is so neutral that it will comfortably show the quality of that amp. The Nait is good the 200 is very good… its like all things … those SL6 speakers are very British and quiet friendly…you will have no problems. The Warfedale 708 is an enigma it does really want a muscle amp. I don’t know about 202 preamp…it should be very capable.

1 Like

I am not convinced that the open window and speed of Naim amps suit this speaker. I think that speakers like Spendor Harbeth and any LS35a will give you that sense of musical synergy,particularly with older models. Of course there are classics like Kef References that can also sound stunning. I think that the Celestions can sound very graceful with an Audio Research valve power or maybe a Jadis combo.

1 Like

You may have a point … it would be fun to test this theory…the 700se is a bit different its pretty fast … and punchy…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.