Centre Speaker or Soundbar

I’d be very interested to hear how it copes with difficult to hear dialogue, we were sorely tempted by it

It will be 2 or 3 weeks before it is up and running (work on the house) but will pop back with some comments once its settled in…

1 Like

Nice choice. Make sure all the connecting cables are excellent. It hurts, but worth it.

1 Like

@Count.d Do you have experience with any particular cables? I used 4k Audioquest Forest between TV (Sony KD65A1) and Blue Ray (Oppo 203) previously so that should still be good from TV to Ambeo. Due to the new layout, I will need HDMI cable around 3m long from Blue Ray to Ambeo, do you think another run of Forest is up to the task or is this set up worthy of something more? Audioquest seem to be upgrading their cables to 8k so there are some offers on what’s left of the 4k versions at the moment…

Amazonbasics for hdmi is all you need.

@Elfer the first hdmi I bought for my Panasonic DPUB9000 4K player was a Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 at 3m. This was £180, but didn’t pass the signal through properly. Apparently the Panasonic 4K put too much demand on it, even though the cable was supposed to be up to spec. I tried an Audioquest Chocolate hdmi and this worked perfectly. What I noticed at this change was how better the sound was too. I ended up on the Audioquest Carbon hdmi which is really good and sounded better than the Chocolate.

I changed the mains cables, plugs and the rca. Ended up with Audioquest Sydney rca. Excellent cable. I even spent a load on the subwoofer cable and again the improvement was worthwhile.

I found there was an improvement at every stage of Audioquest cables. The more you pay, the better the result and when combined with all the other changes, the cumulative effect is pretty large at the end. All these improvements are with the sound. The picture didn’t improve to my eyes once I reached the Chocolate hdmi.

Yes I saw some bargains with Audioquest, because they’re upgrading to 8k. The pre 8k cables are excellent.

If it was me with your soundbar, Forest wouldn’t be up to spec.

Thanks - thats what I feared :joy:

I will make some enquiries on the 4K Audioquest cables. Carbon seems to be very well priced at the moment, if I can get the right lengths…

1 Like

Take a look at the Sonos Beam. We have one in the kids play room and it is surprisingly good.

Finally got the Ambeo set up with the SVS sub via SVS own wireless transmitter. Out of the box it was a bit muddy but after running the calibration it cleaned up nicely. No discernible delay from the sub.

Tried calibration with the mike just in front, right on and just behind the listening position and found the just behind gave the clearest dialogue and best balance overall.

Positioning is a little compromised with a fireplace to one side and we are still waiting for some furnishings and rugs but it already provides a great home movie experience. The Atmos effects are noticeable and fun.

I haven’t experimented with sub positioning or swapping out standard cables yet and I’m sure I can improve things further by playing with the calibration but we are already very happy with it.

2 Likes

Interesting to hear how you get on with different cables. Bear in mind that wireless transmission is the worst for sound quality. Even with a sub, I could easily hear the difference an upgraded cable made. Sub should be very deep, ‘transparent’ airey, gently mixed in sound, with loads of note range, not a sharp thud. If that makes sense.

I tested mine with playing music sacd playing through the 4k player.

Unfortunately, the conduit wasn’t well thought out and it’s too late to change. Just to go from Ambeo to TV (arc) uses a 3m cable instead of the <0.5m distance it actually is. To the player, it’s about 3m but a 5m cable doesn’t quite reach, 5.5 or 6 is hard to find and 7 leaves a lot of extra!

Hi Colin, as you say that a lavish surround system is not your goal, a good quality sound bar, or sound projector is the way to go as I’m sure others peeps are saying, we bought a top of the range Yamaha sound projector some time ago which can mimic 5.1 and even 7.1 in certain circumstances its just a case of getting the best advice and not just settling for a stereo bar with a cheap subwoofer, you might be pleasantly surprised!!

1 Like

Absolutely, we settled for a Sony soundbar in the end it had a degree of sound decoding that separated out the centre channel so she could hear voices. I doesn’t do anything like 5.1 or anything else but it does very good stereo with a sub and centre channel which is a big improvement on the plain stereo one we had and was perfectly acceptable for me.

Aside, for a stone deaf woman I do laugh/worry/panic about the veto vote she has on any upgrade to the main sound system :rofl:

May be a good idea to alternate the veto votes and that way you could be selective on the type of upgrade your good lady can hold the ‘no’ vote on, just a thought!

Good idea :rofl: Thankfully it’s only the higher frequencies she’s having trouble with, otherwise she has a good ear, better than mine or at least she understands what is right

How is the dialogue at low volumes? My current soundbar speech output gets drowned out by the bass!

Very good. I bought the Mu-So as a first step back into hi fi.
It’s is the best sound bar I’ve come across without going in fort the full cinema surround sound set up. Low volume is fine.

Thanks for that. I have an option of buying a brand new open box unused Muso 1 for £600. Not sure if the price premium for the 2nd generation model is worth it

I keep wondering about getting a muso to go with the telly (have a 5.1 plus a couple of ceiling atmos speakers in a cinema room) but not sure how well it would work

The cinema room has blossomed since using an Apple TV and getting 5.1 and atmos from Netflix and Disney - loving the sound (had been disappointed with arcam stuff in place of broken nVi but now happy with the sound), so it would be nice to get the regular telly a bit better. Though when daughter 2 heads off to uni in September I will get the cinema room back to myself

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.