Challenge: Recommend an upgrade for less than $€£100

Which Cisco switch. When I search they all seem to cost zillions:)

dont use one myself, but do a google search on “cisco switch” then there are a load under £100, e.g. see example link below for <£60 (although I have no knowledge of this model)
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/22051-cisco-smb-sf110-24-uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0_vtnZe56wIV2u3tCh0v6w1aEAkYCiABEgJvxPD_BwE

The one I have is the Catalyst 2960 8TC-L. It has 8 ports and no fan, so is silent. It has an inbuilt power supply. Others may be better of course.

1 Like

Cisco switches are professional enterprise boxes, so at list price are priced highly. The 2960 range that people here tend to use was a very long-running range, and sold in huge quantities, leading to a very large number on the second-hand market which are priced under £100.

1 Like

Never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear!

4 Likes

AV Options Tibia power cables.

Switch to black SNAICs if you are using olive/Cb gear and still have grey SNAICs.

Well funny you should say that…

I am running DAC v2, NAC82 with x2 HiCaps, SNAXO w/HiCap and x2 NAP 250’s bi-amped into Linn Espeks. A tweeter blew on the Espek and they have stopped manufacture. So I picked up a pair of second hand tweeters from a Linn Isobarik system (slightly over 100 quid at 120 for the pair) changed the faulty one first and the difference was night and day. I was thinking of outing the Espeks but now with the ‘upgrade’ they just sound brilliant. A small downside the Isobarik tweeters are installed withe label upside down, not really noticeable. Espeks always were a bit bass heavy and regarded as more AV speakers but this upgrade really balances them well.

1 Like

That’s lethal!

Tidy, ordered listening room…SQ improved shen I put my speaker cable inside ducting. Psychoacoustics for you!

1 Like

Ear microsuction

A few years ago I swapped out the wall sockets that were as old as the house for some MCRU silver plated unswitched ones for £40.
They were starting to look a bit mucky in the pin jaws so recently upgraded to MS HD silver plated ones.

These are £80 and go up a little if you want gold or rhodium plated.
Much like going with the first job of taking out the old switched sockets. Going from some hashed details to a clearer but less forward presentation.
These give somewhat more dimensionality forwards and behind the soundstage.
Haven’t tried the other plating options.

1 Like

Thats hard core, I don’t think I could finish a full bottle in a single sitting… :joy:

2 Likes

Update to version 3.5 of the Firmware. FOC.

Disclaimer: Read the ‘New firmware update’ thread before updating as YMMV.

1 Like

Along the lines of a media upgrade, the quality of my enjoyment of discovery and delving back into my music has improved since using Roon. Granted it’s an annual fee, but might just squeak under for a year’s cost.

An old

Raspberry pi to transcode Qobuz HD flac to WAV

Over the last number of months I’ve been using a copy Logitech Media Server (LMS) that came with my little zyxel nsa310 NAS to allow me to use Qobuz with the NDS. I recently read that this version of LMS is a lite version. This explains why I couldn’t get the pcm transcode option to work. It is also at version 7.1 which doesn’t support the Radio Paradise flac plugin that is available.

This motivated me to look for another solution. I’ve landed on a Raspberry Pi (a Model B 512MB which I had lying around from a failed attempt to interest my daughters in coding some years ago, now superseded of course but available for c. £10 second-hand.), with Linux raspberrypi 5.4.51 & Logitech Media Server 7.9.4 with upnp/dlna bridge, Qobuz, Radio Paradise plugins. It took a bit time to get it all running and I did have a niggle with gapless play, but fingers crossed I think I’m past that and it appears to be working a treat.

It is happily transcoding a HD Qobuz FLAC streams to WAV(PCM) on the fly to my NDS - I haven’t seen the cpu utilisation go above 50%. It has also detected the NSA 310 NAS and can play and transcode my local flac files in the same way.

I have to say it’s provided a nice little uplift in performance with the bonus of access to the Radio Paradise flac stream!

I’m just listening to Dave Gilmour HD version of Rattle That Lock and it sounds wonderful.

I’ve seen some posts recommending Bubble UPnP, so I might give that go some time soon.

Love that idea. I used LMS on Mac before, and found it was very reliable, although I hated needing to leave ther Mac powered on. A R.Pie would use minimal power I would imagine :blush:

Yes i’ve just looked it up, it looks c. 1W for the early models, idle with LEDs off. Later models a little higher.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.