Changes to eBay payment system

I heard on a BBC radio 4 consumer programme recently that paying by PayPal with the payments going back to a credit card does not give you the protection in UK law that paying directly by credit card does. (Because the credit card company is not a party to the transaction, but rather is a party to a different second transaction that transfers your PayPal debt to a credit card).

1 Like

Thanks David, I didn’t know that, perhaps I need to rethink my payment strategy - every day is a school day!! That said, on low cost items I think I would still rather go via PP than give my CC details to an unknown vendor.

I doubt card details will be sent to the seller. I presume ebay will take the money from the buyers account, (or receive it through paypal), deduct fees and deposit the rest in the seller’s bank account.

I’ve set up a debit card account I haven’t used for a while and stuck a £1000 in it to cover the cost of purchases.

I’m sure I’ve heard Martin Lewis say the same

To be honest I have never tried Apple Pay on eBay or know whether it’s possible.
I use Apple Pay as my contactless method, and ensure my bank cards are the non contactless variety… I am not happy with the security vulnerabilities on regular contactless… where as ApplePay gives me the protection I am after. Though I did need to specifically ask my bank for non contactless bank cards… and at first they were resistant… but the threat of walking did it.
A non contactless card looks identical other than its minus the contactless symbol and without a PIN is dead safe.

1 Like

Mmn got me worried reading this thread. Like others I don’t use eBay much these days due to the fees but when I do I donate 100% to charity to avoid said fees. Because of the change I decided to close my PayPal account for simplicity. Sold a couple of items recently and was paid into my Bank account. After few weeks they then sent invoice for same amount which I then had to pay anonymously through PayPal to pay the charity. Don’t understand why they didn’t just send the money straight to the charity as used to happen with PayPal

Do you not ask for photo evidence of the damage?

He posted it. But any proof that it’s a shipping damage. He could have unplugged wrongly the cable from the Ethernet port and broken the plastic part on the connector.
I asked EBay to ask him a picture of the package. But EBay didn’t asked him after and didn’t investigated more. As very very often apparently.

Just to say that I provided Ebay with my account details through a picture of a voided cheque. Ebay said this isn’t enough and that I must provide photo ID. I didn’t provide photo ID but today Ebay has just paid the balance of my sales into my bank account.

So the request for photo ID, which is so obviously unnecessary, may just be an Ebay fishing trip. Sell something small, ignore the Ebay demand for photo ID and maybe you’ll get your cash.

Anyone trying this does so at their own risk!!! Maybe I was just lucky and you won’t get your cash.

I was vaguely thinking it might be entertaining trying to root out why they say they need photo ID then trying taking them to the small claims court on grounds of non-payment.

I had a Mint condition Grace 707 Tone Arm deeply packed in its original box they have been shipping in this box all over the world for decades. I sent it to some Asian country they sent back pictures of the High impact plastic H/Shell shattered in 6 pieces claiming it was not
packed properly yet the accompanying photos of the box showed it to be perfect and so was the polystryen packing it was sunk into. The H/S was super glued to the arm tube and they had used considerable force trying to rotate it. None of this meant anything to ebay they told me they had certain practices to follow and Not To Do Anything till they contacted
me. The next thing they said was they had paid the buyer because i did not ask him to return
the Arm at my expense ( like it was any good now! ) You are compleatly right they do ZERO
investigation and each time you contact them you get a dfferent incompetent person who
castigates you for not looking after your customer.
They then went to my PP account to get back the money the buyer paid but i was one step
ahead and PP had a zero balance this upset them greatly and for a year i received threatening Debt collectors letters emails etc to pay them back. They do not follow their own dispute procedures and they do not have any staff employed with any capability to do so. Every Thing is Absolute Bull Sht Simply it is a Con Job!

1 Like

You are lucky, because PP could have taken the money directly on your bank account, not the card .
I agree, they are absolutely not competent and the seller is just a credit card for them.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.