Changing to Digital and Audiophile Network Switch

Thanks for the info. I didn’t realise that the Ethernet provided higher bandwidth over Wi-Fi.

The HI-Fi is on its own dedicated ring mains. The TV and the PS to the EE8, which is an IFI Power2 is on the house ring mains.

Well its will have far superior throughput stability than general wifi, no interference etc. Depending on your set up internally you could expect 100MB/s for a gig line and for large file transfers that would not vary.

Obviously you are limited by your ISP speed incoming, but ultimately and in 99% of cases I am willing to bet ethernet connection will be more stable by offering better sustained throughput speed, which Netflix et all will pick up and adjust accordingly.

Through lock down they got hammered and the drop in quality was very obvious. Colours washed out and sound compressed, but they have found better ways to cope than your screen going all pixelated which is nice!

1 Like

Thank you for liking and seeing the value in the switch.

How do you measure bandwidth on Ethernet and Wi-Fi ?

Probably worth noting for others that video codecs and streaming services do this, but audio codecs and streaming services do not. (With audio, it simply drops out or stops if the bandwidth is insufficient for the chosen streaming quality. So no danger to listen to some degraded quality)

2 Likes

It’s nothing to do with the switch in particular, you are now using Ethernet, that’s all

3 Likes

Sorry I am using wrong terminology I am sure.

I see no value what so ever in a basic switch design in a fancy case, as I stated a 15 quid switch would have the same outcome, but its your money!

2 Likes

Sorry, but you haven’t answered my question about how to measure bandwidth as I don’t know how to do that.

If you can confirm that, it would be appreciated, as I can then see for myself if you are indeed correct and then how to proceed.

You can evaluate the performance of your LAN using a number of readily available tools, examples being Solarwinds or Netperf.

This will provide you with a means to evaluate not just bandwidth or link speed but importantly throughput as well as network latency and TCP transaction response.

This works by having a server and a client on your LAN and making measurements between them entirely within your LAN.

1 Like

not sure what you want me to say, type into Google ‘does Ethernet have more bandwidth available to apps than Wi-Fi. ‘

My statement is not controversial

2 Likes

It’s somewhat more nuanced than simply stating one has more throughput than the other.
The generation of Wi-Fi the Access Points support being one example, Wi-Fi 6, 6E and beyond that Wi-Fi 7, bring numerous enhancements and features which provide a multitude of benefits to manage both the RF domain and client capabilities.
The lowest common denominator being the capabilities of the client radio relative to the WLAN as a whole and interaction with other clients both your own and those on other WLAN’s in close proximity.
Current Naim streamers utilise a 802.11ac / Wi-Fi 5 radio so their specific capabilities are constrained by the capabilities of their radio, however even older generation clients benefit from the features supported in later Wi-Fi generations with Wi-Fi 6 being the most prevalent today in terms of commercially available hardware.
Wi-Fi 6 and beyond employ more efficient modulation methods and ability for clients to co-exist, share and be allocated network resources with greater efficiency than previously possible.

2 Likes

Yeah perhaps, equally how many are on Wi-Fi six for their main streaming services to tv? Do any tvs or network streamers support Wi-Fi 6?

Wi-Fi 6 is even more limited in distance to router, and I bet we can both agree that on balance if you are able to use Ethernet you should.

It is evident in this case that higher throughput/bandwidth what ever you want to call it has been realised.

Or are we supposing a fancy Ethernet switch case is making the colours better?

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, I’ll check this out. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Wi-Fi 6 supports a theoretical link speed of 9.6Gb, whilst many clients won’t fully support the features enabled in Wi-Fi 6 Access Points the benefits aren’t constrained to client devices alone. Multiple meshed Access Points, fast roaming, band steering and channel colourisation as examples benefit all clients regardless of their abilities.
Access Points can typically support either wired or Wi-Fi based backhaul for further installation flexibility. I run a total of 6 Wi-Fi 6E AP’s by example with multiple switches which in turn are interconnected over 10Gb MM optics.

2 Likes

Just wanted to be pointed in the right direction as @Mr.M provided, so that I can check it out myself.

Not sure what you mean by “controversial’.

You’re welcome sir.

1 Like

Sorry i am a sensitive soul

2 Likes

FYI, here is a view on bandwith flow from my Naim Mu-so Qb2 across the past 24 hrs (I had 3 short listening sessions during the day; listening to Tidal Hi-Fi.

1 Like

Yeah, audio only applications aren’t even going to cause a mild sweat even on the lowliest broadband provisions.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. However, it doesn’t really answer the question; it’s not applicable to my situation or demonstrates the difference between the bandwidth for WiFi or Ethernet.

To make it more meaningful, watch the Noodles scene, where Deckard is reading the newspaper in Blade Runner on Amazon Prime both on WiFi and Ethernet, measuring the bandwidth. Post that and I’ll do the same once I’ve worked out how to do that, then we can compare the results.

Try this, on applestore. Should give you Wifi and Ethernet bandwidth.

1 Like