Changing XPS from CD to NAC player

Good evening Dear Naim users

As you know, I have just bought a NAC-N 272 and am still exploring its possibilities.

I also have a CD player, namely a Naim CDX2, it has always played splendidly.
CDX2 has connected an XPS power supply, and I think I can hear a lift in the sound image. Do not know how long to play with PS, the sound improvement is gradually slow, but I am surprised by the sound image once in a while. I can also note that my CDX2 sounded fantastic before I connected my XPS.

Now my CD player plays through the preamplifier NAC-N272, with the connection DIN to DIN. Here there was also a change to a different sound.

Now the question here for the forums is whether I get something out of taking the XPS from my CDX2, and connect it to NAC 272 instead. Will it change anything or will it just be the same sound?
I can just try it, some will probably say, but I just wanted to hear if my question was too far out…?

Kind regards
Peter

1 Like

Connecting the XPS to the 272 will improve all the sources. Ultimate is 555PS. The 272 555PS 300DR was the go to at one point. I haven’t heard it myself. However I would definitely put the XPS on the 272 and see how it improves your sources. If you can get another power supply and put it on the CDX2 as well should sound better still. Naim work on Power Supplies!

2 Likes

Worth checking your XPS serial number.

Important: XPS power supplies with serial numbers below 188015 are not compatible with the NAC-N 272 and should not be used. Contact your local Naim retailer or distributor for more information.

4 Likes

If it’s XPS2 Classic series should be okay. Olive XPS not advisable. I think it’s to do with transformer size.

2 Likes

Thank you Dan_M

I also plan to buy a 250DR for my NAC 272. My finances are not for a 555PS, it will also be overkill compared to the rest of my system. I have to stop somewhere, even though in this world it can be a bit overwhelming.
So my plan for a system is an XPS to my NAC 272, connect my CDX2 to the NAC 272, and let it all be helped out through a NAP 250DR out to my speakers. That’s my plan and dream for now… Do you think it sounds like a good solution…?
… Thanks, Peter

1 Like

That’s right Dan. The Olive XPS used a transformer from (IIRC) the Supercap. One of the 15V regulators gets close to its thermal limit due to the increased current draw on that rail when a Streamer is used instead of a CD player hence the serial number warning.

2 Likes

Thanks James_n

Im up to the newer ones in XPS

Peter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what I have. CDX2 to NAC 272 and XPS into NAC 272 for power and then 272 into a NAP250 (plus the good old A5 speaker cables). If I ever feel flush with money, I will probably get another XPS for the CDX2. But these days I mostly use streaming/upnp/vinyl sources with the 272, so I’m not sure if that is high on my priority.

2 Likes

I think it will work really well. I have a CDS2 with XPS2 and it sounds sublime.

A 272 XPS2 250DR will sound great and connecting the CDX2 will sound brilliant to that. In future consider an XPS2 or XPSDR to the CDX2 as well. Obviously funds permitting.

But for now, that will do nicely.

I have 555PS for NDS and XPS2 for CDS2 and Lingo 1 for LP12 and Supercap2 for 82. Power Supplies mean better sound quality. Lots of boxes, separation and fantastic sound.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer wdoyle

It sounds good to hear someone who has also thought about the same system, then it can not go completely wrong :wink:
There are many new things that have opened up after I bought the NAC-N272. The thing about trying streaming/upnp/vinyl sources with the 272, I also have to study what is, … Especially when you have the word vinyl in here.

Incidentally, also looking for a good riaa for my upcoming setup. Recommendations are welcome…
I currently have a Sugden A21 A with a good riaa in it. But I might drop it when I have bought the NAP250DR. As you know, there is no Riaa part in NAC-N272

Peter

NAC N272/XPSDR/250DR is a classic and excellent combination and I speak from experience. It’s definitely worth trying the power supply on the 272.

Roger

1 Like

Thanks PeakMan

Peter

Prior to getting my 272, I probably spent 70% of my listening time with vinyl. I’d never heard anything good from streaming. I did subscribe to Google Play, but used it mostly for listening on the phone whilst travelling and then at work and for discovering new music that I would then buy on CD or Vinyl. I thought the sound quality was at best “okay”, but never ever something that would come close to listening to CDs or vinyl on my home setup. But then I had a demo of the 272 and nap 250 and was blown away. If you get this system, give Tidal a trial. The 272 supports it directly. I also buy stuff from places like Bandcamp, some of it is hi-res and sounds great. For a phono-stage I use a Tom Evans MicroGroove Plus. I love it.

2 Likes

Your upgrade path sounds good as long as your XPS is up to the demands of the 272. I have always been thrilled by the improvements a PS can make, add a 250DR and it will be fab. I had an XPS DR’d by Naim a few years ago. Do they still offer that?

1 Like

No, DR upgrades are no longer available.

1 Like

Hello Forrestm

I believe that the XPS DR (see picture) can be connected to my NAC 272. Is this correct or do I need to upgrade to a newer version?

Peter

Correct :+1:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to installing it. In this connection, I want to hear if it will be okay to place NAC272 on top of XPS or a NAP250DR ?
I do not have room for a rack

Thanks,
Peter

Better then on top 250 dr rather than 272. Or even better, on the floor if you can. On a separate shelf still better, and the best on a different rack.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.