Cheap way to enable Roon streamig to older NAIM streamers

Fair enough. I run Daphile on my streamers for the same reason.

I think you will find Roopiee is better placed for roon though on a PI. To use LMS in roon, you have to turn off its main server functions. Roopiee XL allows you to airplay which is very handy. and by that I mean airplay anything to the endpoint. My son for instance airplays his youtube music to it whilst washing up, and I use it for roon when cooking dinner.

It’s your call but 2GB RPi 4 circa. GB£34.00 v. 8GB GB£73.50.

Dave

The thread title was “Cheap way to enable Roon streaming…”. Depend’s how cheap you want to go I guess and still achieve acceptable results. :grinning:

Dave

I thought £165 for a flawless out of the box solution was terrific value. Nothing is connected to the ND5 other than the normal network cable and the DC1 cable to the nDAC.

2 Likes

Currently $229 + shipping + VAT from the US. Not sure there is a UK supplier.

Dave

I have a couple of RPi with Hifiberry hats that I used to input into Unitiqutes. I was happy with them as a lockdown project; but then I cracked LMS2UPNP, an elegant software solution that identifies all my Naim units. I have yet to find another yes for the RPi, although I have plans to Roonify an old Quad system.

The LMS2UPNP software runs on my MacMini; it needs some under the bonnet tinkering, but I don’t mind that. And it’s free.
There’s a thread that walks you thru’ the process: HowTo: Roonify non-Roon streamers (lms-to-uPnP)

1 Like

I got mine from the US. Arrived in a few days or so. Working within minutes :+1:

I use the RaspberryPi/HiFiBerry solution in multiple rooms. Have used the digi+ into a NAC-N 272 for awhile. I have two non-naim systems in the office and basement and have recently upgraded my Pi hardware and am using the HiFiBerry Dac2 HD https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/hifiberry-announces-the-dac2-hd/ it is a huge upgrade and a great dac for the money and a great dac overall. So quiet and so detailed it is really a good source period. It also has good isolation and they don’t recommend the use of any kind of more expensive power supplies, the RaspberryPi USB-C psu is just fine… I can’t recommend it enough. I use Volumio which is also terrific and can’t recommend enough…

2 Likes

These are my RPi setups:
Lounge: RPi 4B/HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro/HiFiBerryOS → Aune X7s headphone amp/Sennheiser HD650
Study: RPi 3B/HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro/HiFiBerryOS → Micromega MyDac/B&W MM-1
Bedroom: RPi 4/RoPieeeOS → Audioquest Dragonfly Red/Sony noise cancelling headphones (doubles for mobile use)
Conservatory: RPi 3B/HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro/HiFiBerryOS → B&W MM-1
Couldn’t be happier.

I have noted HiFiBerry’s comments on power supplies but using ifi xPower in the Lounge headphone and Study setups.

Dave

Sonore microRendu is available from Vortexbox.co.uk based in Kent and provides the Roon Bridge functionality. Available from £305.

I bought one at Christmas and works really well providing a Roon endpoint to my SU via uPnP.

David

2 Likes

I use a microRendu in my main system for USB streaming to my Naim DAC-V1.

Dave

1 Like

A second hand Chromecast audio Puck using its digital out is very cheap… sounds okay too.

1 Like

I use their Audiostore server, and I’m very happy with it.

Same here. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

can you tell me little more about the Sonore UPnP Bridge… is the case that you put one of these devices on the network and then all the Naim devices see this as a UPnP device and can then play whatever Roon is sending to the Sonore bridge?

Do the track detail etc. also appear on the Naim devices?

You just connect it to your network, point it to your Naim streamer and enable the Squeezebox Support option on Roon.

Roon will then see the Naim streamer.

NB the Bridge is for one device at a time and Roon ‘sees’ the Bridge, the Naim streamer just plays what it is sent.

You are then ready to use Roon.

1 Like

Couple of questions re the RoPieee please:

• What HAT would you need if you had an NDX → Chord Qutest DAC setup?
    • Does the Artist/Track info still show on the NDX screen
    • Is it even worth having the NDX in the middle of the RoPieee+HAT and a Chord Qutest DAC?

I keep looking at the NDX as used prices are so cheap at the moment but wouldn’t want to lose ROON.

Hi if you have a qutest you don’t really need a hat as the qutest takes a USB input.

I dont know why you would want an NDX in the mix here. Pi into quetest, analogue output qutest into pre amp.
If you want something a bit tastier then the same pi can have a pi scree 7 inch attached to it to display whats playing and this software is all handled by Ropiee.

Here is a very bad shot of one such set up in my kitchen.
Cases for all of this area available on amazon and for like 120 quid you have an excellent roon endpoint with display for your qutest. win win in my book.

1 Like

…or just make do with your phone or tablet. :grinning:

Dave

Well yeah, you can always ‘make do’ I suppose.