Chet Baker

Taken from the Film Round Midnight that starred Dexter Gordon and won Herbie Hancock an Oscar for the soundtrack. Herbie wrote that because of Chet’s reputation the Film’s producers where concerned that even if he did turn up that he’d be worse for wear but Chet arrived on time and recorded Kenny Dorham’s beautiful ballad Fair Weather accompanied by Herbie in one take packed up his trumpet and left.

2 Likes

Yessss :relaxed:

4 Likes

The Making of Chet Baker Sings - Brian Morton released October 1st.

This 80 page Hardback (also in paperback) written by Penguin Guide to Jazz author Brian Morton also contains a CD of the LP this contains six bonus tracks.

1 Like

Jim Hall - Concierto de Aranjuez

Composed by Joaquin Rodrigo in the 1930’s and made famous amongst jazz lovers by Gil Evans and Miles Davis it takes up the whole 19 minute B-Side of Jim Hall’s 1975 LP Concierto it’s a lovely rendition and Chet’s playing is absolutely top notch again.

2 Likes

Some fantastic stuff.

That’s a great collection I’ve only half that comprising of about 50 vinyl and 20 odd CD’s.

1 Like

One of my favourite Chet Baker albums is a joint affair with the wonderful Bill Evans…
cover

5 Likes

Bob the B you are really a goldmine of CB releases… :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Chet’s - Choice, Criss Cross Jazz (1985)

Again featuring the excellent Philip Catherine and on bass Hein Van De Gejin on bass. I was lucky enough to find all three of Chet’s releases on Criss Cross Jazz at the same time in the same shop for £45 for all three.

2 Likes

Chet Baker Quartet featuring Phil Markowitz - Live at Nick’s, Criss Cross Jazz (1987)

Recorded Live at Nick’s Jazz Cafe, the Netherlands. Another Criss Cross release.

1 Like

Chet. Baker Quartet featuring Wayne Marsh - Blues for a Reason, Criss Cross Jazz (1985)

And the third Criss Cross LP by Chet like Chet’s Choice recored at Monster Studio, Holland

1 Like

Chet Baker Meets Space Jazz Trio - Little Girl Blue, Philology (1988)

I’d dearly love to own this Super Rare LP but at nearing £200 a copy it’s a bit rich for me. Fingers crossed a reissue appears one day!

1 Like

I hope @Ian doesn’t mind me mentioning the fact that he is also a bit of a Chet aficionado and has an extensive collection himself.

1 Like

A beautiful early version of The Touch of Your Lips from Baby Breeze (1965) really showcases what an exceptional vocalist Chet was.

2 Likes

Another beautiful vocal by Chet from the same Baby Breeze LP.

1 Like

Pawnee Junction

1 Like

I’ll try to contribute as well… :relaxed:
These are three releases that I like a lot…

1 Like

Poor photos - The Complete Barclay Recordings 3 x LP + 2 x EP

Both lovely sets of the Barclay sessions I have the three Sam reissues @mojo_65 they are excellent especially the black & white prints, I’ve always wanted a copy of the box set Ian what are the pressings like?

It was such a tragic trip with the untimely passing of the incredible yo1ung Jazzman D. Twardzik in the couple of books I’ve read about Chet it was hinted that he was either there when D.T overdosed or found him later at the Hôtel de la Madeleine on the Rue de Surène, in Paris’ and left him.

Whatever the circumstances it fractured the group that had recorded just one of the three recordings Barclay later released drummer Pete Littman was so affected by the death that he sold his drums and went home which only left Chet and bassist Jimmy Bond from the Quartet.

The recording sessions continued and on the 24th October Chet and Jimmy where joined by Swedish drummer Nils-Bertil Dahlander and young French pianist Gerard Gustin the new quartet played and recorded some beautiful standards for Vol 2.

The third recording was a Quintet and featured Bobby Jaspar on sax the recording was completed over four months between October and February and featured a few different musicians. I love all three recordings for different reasons but the somewhat thrown together Vol 2 is my personal favourite.

2 Likes

I love these two ines. One is a collaboration with Chalie Hayden
Iver

4 Likes